brand new to calling. X2s

Trod1821

Hello.

I recently moved out to the sticks. Took up deer hunting. Now prepping for coyote hunting. Have access to only 2 different spots for now. West-central Illinois. Mercer county area.

Any recommendations on a good sound pack to start out with? I ordered a brand new foxpro x2s.

I have apple computers and have came across quite a bit of info on that so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Caller should be here next Friday!!

Last edited:
Personally, I think you would be fine with the stock sound list on the caller. Stand location and stand management will be much more important than sounds. Other than throwing the same sound at them and having them survive the experience coyotes aren't that picky.

I use five callers from $89 on up and they all call coyotes. I rely on the fact that I'm calling virgin ears, using sounds they haven't heard before, and setting up where they feel safe coming to the cal.

Last year after a contest (Late Jan) I hunted the same county and surprising Lightning Jack run hard was my best producer.

Have fun I hope you do well, after successfully hunting coyotes hunting deer is about as exciting as going to the market and buying meat.

Originally Posted By: AWS
Have fun I hope you do well, after successfully hunting coyotes hunting deer is about as exciting as going to the market and buying meat.

Ain't that the truth! I'm sure it depends on where you hunt deer and the deer population, but coyotes will get the heart going every time!

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: AWS

Ain't that the truth! I'm sure it depends on where you hunt deer and the deer population, but coyotes will get the heart going every time!

So just took up bow hunting. I haven’t got a deer yet. Yesterday after the snow I walked a bit and saw a ton of coyote tracks. And haven’t been getting as many deer on my cams this year. My neighbors are saying the same thing.

While I got you pros here….one of my neighbors claims of you take a coyote out and when they’re howling , if the females hear less howls back, they go into estrous wether it’s the proper time or not. True or false?

Thank you guys very much!

I have never heard of that, so I will leave that up to animal biologists and zoologists. Just use the sounds on your caller and like AWS stated above set up is way more important. My advice for yotes is wind is your friend or enemy so keep it in your face or cross face. Camo not that important but movement is. Put call away from you so they dog will focus on the sound not you. Remember how you try to be quiet going in to your deer stand, not stepping on sticks and banging stuff together or against treestand? Be even MORE quiet when setting up for yote stand. Don't rush it and just run out there put you call out and set down anywhere and start calling. Hopefully you are familiar the landscape and have an idea where the dogs will be coming from. My best advice is try not to stick out like a @#$% on fish and most important have fun and learn.

Thanks
Jon

Originally Posted By: Trod1821
While I got you pros here….one of my neighbors claims of you take a coyote out and when they’re howling , if the females hear less howls back, they go into estrous wether it’s the proper time or not. True or false?

no pro here. but i know a little about coyotes and your neighbor is wrong on that. false.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Trod1821

no pro here. but i know a little about coyotes and your neighbor is wrong on that. false.

Ok. I think a little of it was him not wanting to grant access.

Back