What to do...

I recently ended up building a new AR for coyote hunting, spending way more money than I intended too. That being said I still want to be able to put a decent scope on it but funds are a little tight. I found two scopes, the Arken SH4 4-16x50 and the Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50. Both can be had for $299 right now (I know it's cheap for a scope but it's what I can afford). I guess if anybody has experience with either or both of these scopes I would be glad to hear what you have to say. Or if somebody has a scope in mind that fits the price range ($300-$500) I'd be open to any ideas. Thanks.

Look at the Meopta Optika 5 or 6. I have the 6 in the 3-18x50. It will run about 570.00 or so. Excellent scope great glass and lots of different reticles to choose from. Illuminated also.

Jon

I have the arken sh4 4-14 gen1. They have some really nice features that usually only come on more expensive optics.

Now comes the BUT...
I just received my second replacement. The 2 previous scopes ended up with debris inside the scope that could only be seen on low magnification due to being ffp scope. The replacement i got this morning has 2 very small specks in it right out of the box.

Arken has been great about replacing the scopes and are willing to replace this one whenever I want. The hassle of constantly having to take scopes on and off and re-sight is getting to be a PITA, especially since I'm in the middle of load development for the gun the scope sits on.
Other than this problem that I am having, the scopes are awesome. But because of the problems I am having, I'm not a fan.
It's a shame because they really are nice scopes.
I've asked if anyone else is having the same issue over on snipers hide. So far none have responded affirmative.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/arken-sh4-4-14-ffp-problems.7104663/

Originally Posted By: docjon2013Look at the Meopta Optika 5 or 6. I have the 6 in the 3-18x50. It will run about 570.00 or so. Excellent scope great glass and lots of different reticles to choose from. Illuminated also.

Jon

Do you have any experience with the Optika 5? I have heard good things about the 6 but I can't seem to find much about the 5.

No, I don't much about it. I just recently got the 6 and am getting another one for my sons gun here shortly. I have no complaints with mine. Very clear glass, sharp detail, no really edge to edge distortion or blurry. They are second focal plane which I like for hunting and I got the 4C reticle illuminated. I like a simple reticle for quick acquisition and not all the ballistic tree stuff.

Jon

Last edited:
You want us to help with scope selection, but we don't even know how you are going to use it. What range do you expect to be shooting coyotes at. What you need on the wetside would be considerably different than down in the Palouse. I've hunted most of central WA from the Columbia north to the Columbia and down along the coast until they closed most of the timber company lands. I never felt under scoped with a 1.5-6x42 and it has been my goto for most of the west. I did build a 22-250 for hunting the big winter wheat fields/grass lands and put a 2.5-10x40 on it, never killed a coyote with anything but 2.5x and just left it home, too hard on pelts. I'm finding the Athlon 2-12x40 to be very handy and have one on my medium weight 20P bolt action that I built last year, still haven't had to use anything higher than 2x down here in NM.

My AR wears a Konus Pro 1.5-6x42($150) with an illuminated circle dot, inexpensive scope that has proven to work well for me, clear, holds zero and the clicks were spot on sighting it in, I'm a set and for get guy as most of my rifles I can hold on fur to 300 yards, and if I have to take one that far I wonder what I did wrong on the stand not to get him in closer.

A Burris FF-II will get you started for around $150 and will sell used for not much less when you want to upgrade.

wZlF4l.jpg

Last edited:
AWS,
I guess I set this post up to see if anybody had any experience with the two scopes that I mentioned then asked for other suggestions as an afterthought. That being said it is a little ridiculous to ask for recommendations without putting forth some info about my setup and intended uses.

I happen to live in the heart of the Palouse and am surrounded by wheat fields with a few tree-filled draws to break up the monotony. I was looking for a scope in the general 3-15 range as I do run into longer shots on coyotes out in the fields. I also wanted to use the rifle for some long range target shooting as it is capable and I always thought it would be kind of fun.

I don't know if that changes anything but it's nice as AWS mentioned to know a little more about one's circumstances before offering advice.

Thanks!

I don't know alot about long range stuff and when I was involved a Lyman All American was on my MS rifle and a Tasco 6-18 in external adjustable return to battery mounts were on my HB 03 Springfield, boy that dates me. FFP, SFP, Mil-Rad, MOA, Christmas tree reticles, zero stops and all of those things have left me in the dust. I just want to get them close enough to put the crosshairs on it and pull the trigger.

Cameralandny has some good prices right now till the end of Dec on Sightron S-Tacs, they've always been known for great tracking. I'm still shooting a Sightron II 1.5-6x40mm on one of my rifles and that is close to 20 yrs and is still one of my favorites.

I also shoot a Meopta Artimis 1.5-6x42 and again a very good scope pretty nice scope.

Burris scopes have always treated me well in their Sig. Select and 4X lines

The only scope that I own that I'm not enamored with are Vortex, I have a pair of 6.5x20 Vipers, even won the Egg Shoot with one but the glass leaves alot to be desired.

I have a lot of faith in Meopta, Sightron and Burris. I'd give Cameralandny a call they will scare you with how fast they ship and won't string you on selling you a scope that isn't in stock. They are about the only company I buy optics from now.. If they have something you might be interested in give them a call, they are fun to talk to.

Sorry for the commercial.

Last edited:
I actually own several of the Optika 6s and long range is my game. I would look at the 3x18 in SECOND FOCAL PLANE. FFP is not the best choice for a calling scope where you need to take a quick shot at close range.

The 223 AR is great 3x9x40 or 2.5x10x40 territory in my book especially if it's only wearing a 16" barrel. Just my 2 cents. Might save you a few bucks on a scope upgrade.

Choosing the "right" scope is always hard for me. I do know spending a little more for a scope with good glass and a little less power out weighs buying something cheap with more power. Choose wisely.

I will jump in here too if you haven't decided. I have 7 older Meopta's, most probably don't know that the old Zeiss Conquests were Meoptas. Also Cabelas branded the same scopes in their old Instinct line. These are just 3x zoom but the 4.5-14 is a wonderful scope and I have no intention of parting with them. Also I have had 1 fog up in the Cabelas line, and Meopta took care of it and fast with a replacement. Scopes usually outlast rifles in my safe, buy something nice if you can.

Thank you all for taking time and trying to give me your best advice, I have yet to order a scope and based on the amount of replies I am strongly considering the Meopta's. I'm not in any rush to get one ordered as the barrel isn't expected to ship for another few weeks now (frustrating but expected). It does however give me time to consider all options and save up a few more dollars, which is nice because it seems almost sacrilegious to put a sub $500 scope on a rifle that cost more than twice that.

Have you looked at Arken scopes? Reviews look pretty good and they don't break the bank.

I just saw where AWS mentioned them. Oh well, late for the party again.

Last edited:

I was originally looking at the Arken SH4, I even mentioned it in the OP, it seems like an awesome scope for the price, it is definitely still in the running but the only thing that is holding it back is the weight (kind of minor since it's already turned into a pretty heavy gun), and the number of people recommending Meopta is also giving me a lot to think about.

Last edited:

I did take a long look at the Athlons but just couldn't find something that really stuck out to me, maybe I'm being too picky but they just weren't quite what I was looking for (to put on this rifle anyway.)

Back