Is the heyday of cool rounds over?

Originally Posted By: docjon2013Any coyote hunting done with 22x6.8? I am not interested in heavy bullets. 55 grain max and a 24 inch barrel. I am after speed.
Thanks
Jon
As GLshooter stated...the 22NXS is what you are after if you want 22-250 performance. I shoot the 52gr Berger bullets and the 55gr Sierra HPBT and they are great on coyotes. The process of converting the 6mm Hagar brass is very easy and does not add extra steps to your reloading process. Once you get the die set, you are done.

Gene

Originally Posted By: GLShooterRitch has killed quite a few with the 22X6.8. He designed it and sells the barrels. It requires a straight neck down and no fire forming.

For a step up to 22-250 the 22 NXS does the job with little effort. It is a straight reform from the 6 HAGAR. It has long case life and it is devastating with light bullets. Ritch designed it and the guys shooting it are very impressed.

I have posted up some stuff here on it. Brass has been available for the last year or so with no problem. Ritch is the only source on this one.

Greg

what kind of velocities are they getting with 50-55 grain.

thanks jon

Originally Posted By: docjon2013

what kind of velocities are they getting with 50-55 grain.

thanks jon

I'm getting solid 3700 to 3770 with mine with the 55 Nosler.

Greg

Pretty much the same performance from the factory 224 Valkyrie and the wildcat 22x6.8, both are designed from the same 6.8SPC parent case.

The 224 Valkyrie is throated for the heavy bullets and the case is shortened some to accommodate heavy bullets and COAL in a regular magazine. Typical barrel twist rates are much faster than the 22x6.8 as well. It has slightly less case capacity then the wildcat but there are lots of factory ammo and brass available vs the wildcat. Even though the 224V is throated for heavy bullets, there is lots of guys getting excellent accuracy and speed with light bullets.

I laugh everytime I see someone call the 22-250 the King of varmint rounds for killing power because they've obviously never owned or carried a 243!!

If you truly want a no BS killer that is a lazer beam and EASY to find components and load for go old-school 243Win. in an AR10. If built with certain components the weight is really really close to the small frame AR15 and nothing in the the varmint world kills better, period.

Originally Posted By: Kino MPretty much the same performance from the factory 224 Valkyrie and the wildcat 22x6.8, both are designed from the same 6.8SPC parent case.

The 224 Valkyrie is throated for the heavy bullets and the case is shortened some to accommodate heavy bullets and COAL in a regular magazine. Typical barrel twist rates are much faster than the 22x6.8 as well. It has slightly less case capacity then the wildcat but there are lots of factory ammo and brass available vs the wildcat. Even though the 224V is throated for heavy bullets, there is lots of guys getting excellent accuracy and speed with light bullets.

I laugh everytime I see someone call the 22-250 the King of varmint rounds for killing power because they've obviously never owned or carried a 243!!

If you truly want a no BS killer that is a lazer beam and EASY to find components and load for go old-school 243Win. in an AR10. If built with certain components the weight is really really close to the small frame AR15 and nothing in the the varmint world kills better, period.

I have used and still do at times a 243 remington sps varmint with a 26" barrel. I got one better sometimes I take my 257 Weatherby in my accumark with some 87 grain And that will trump your 243 anyday you want to play.

I like the 243 also, and like my G2 as much as any ar I've ever bought or built. It really does carry and handle like an ar15 with the exception of the recoil spring is much stiffer, like any other large frame ar. The only downside is powder consumption and barrel life compared to the 6.8 or Grendel based rounds. And it underperforms a bit in a 20" barrel compared to the powder you're burning.

I like my 30 RAR's also, but a G2 in 308 makes it un-necessary and it will probably never revive. That's a good case and would be fantastic necked down to 6mm. It should out-perform a 6br and be right there with the 243 in a more efficient case. But with no reamers or dies easily available, not to mention brass, it's a dead issue for now. What could have been with that one... The negative would be mag capacity as it has to single stack like the wssm in an ar.

22 Nosler will get you 3500 with 55s and cfe 223
I wouldn't over look the 6x6.8, a 22" will run 55's 3700 with h 322 and 3500 plus with 8208.
The dti's can be fireformed while doing load development or while hunting. They will hold a few tenths more powder once formed but I think a lot of people just shoot the same preformed load.
Right now the issue is availability and turn around time on a barrel.

With all this said I have multiple 22 noslers and 6x6.8s and I hunt with a 24" heavy barrel 10 twist ar10 in .243

Last edited:
Kino,
I just like keeping my head on scope and not losing sight. With the bigger calibers it is more difficult to do. Thats way I like the 22-250. I love ARs and have some in some 223, 300BO(pistol), 6.5 grendel, and 458 socom. I have never messed with ar10s but have thought about a 243 for some time now. I might try it yet. FYI I even took my 50BMG once and called a coyote with it and shot it at 75 yards. Not much left but had to do it one time.

Thanks
Jon

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI like the 243 also, and like my G2 as much as any ar I've ever bought or built. It really does carry and handle like an ar15 with the exception of the recoil spring is much stiffer, like any other large frame ar. The only downside is powder consumption and barrel life compared to the 6.8 or Grendel based rounds. And it underperforms a bit in a 20" barrel compared to the powder you're burning.

I like my 30 RAR's also, but a G2 in 308 makes it un-necessary and it will probably never revive. That's a good case and would be fantastic necked down to 6mm. It should out-perform a 6br and be right there with the 243 in a more efficient case. But with no reamers or dies easily available, not to mention brass, it's a dead issue for now. What could have been with that one... The negative would be mag capacity as it has to single stack like the wssm in an ar.

Are they finicky and is there any issues with them in 243. Does the recoil pull you off scope? What complete rifle would you buy?

Thanks
Jon

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223If you have grendel brass the 243 lbc would work too.
Don't overlook 6mm's shooting 70's.

Another good choice and excellent down range accuracy and performance.

Greg

Not finicky at all, I use an agb suppressed of course. I'm not saying it's never malfunctioned ever but it's very rare. Yeah recoil is going to bounce you more than the smaller rounds will and that's what's nice about them of course. There's a noticeable difference touching off a 6x6.8 vs 243. With the smaller rounds it feels like something you could shoot all day at pdogs even and not pay a price in barrel life. The downsides are 6.8 brass, good luck finding it and most of the new stuff doesn't last long with max loads. And if you're not at max you just as well have a 223. Same goes for the 22 Nosler, some added performance but only if you load it up.

I scored enough 243 brass to outlast a lot of barrels and got it cheap. The nice thing is you can back the 243 down a notch and brass will last and barrels last longer too. And still outrun the small cases. You're still burning 10 more grains of powder though so pick your poison I guess.

I just saw your edit Jon, I'd search for a DPMS G2 Hunter with 20" barrel. There's a 16" also but that would be pointless in 243 imo. The later ones came with threaded muzzles. They're pretty hard to find now though and there won't be any real support for parts so keep that in mind if stuff like that is a concern. Palmetto State Armory bought the rights and supposedly will start making them when everything else cools down some day. Hopefully they are fully compatible but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223If you have grendel brass the 243 lbc would work too.

Loved my lbc from Ritch and put a bunch of rounds through it then sold it to a buddy in Denver for his kid to use on deer and I guess it's working well. Brass is better than 6.8 imo with a Lapua option. Buy the best bolt you can find as I broke two cheapies at high round counts.

Of course the 6 arc is the factory option that's a hair shorter but basically the same.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARNot finicky at all, I use an agb suppressed of course. I'm not saying it's never malfunctioned ever but it's very rare. Yeah recoil is going to bounce you more than the smaller rounds will and that's what's nice about them of course. There's a noticeable difference touching off a 6x6.8 vs 243. With the smaller rounds it feels like something you could shoot all day at pdogs even and not pay a price in barrel life. The downsides are 6.8 brass, good luck finding it and most of the new stuff doesn't last long with max loads. And if you're not at max you just as well have a 223. Same goes for the 22 Nosler, some added performance but only if you load it up.

I scored enough 243 brass to outlast a lot of barrels and got it cheap. The nice thing is you can back the 243 down a notch and brass will last and barrels last longer too. And still outrun the small cases. You're still burning 10 more grains of powder though so pick your poison I guess.

I just saw your edit Jon, I'd search for a DPMS G2 Hunter with 20" barrel. There's a 16" also but that would be pointless in 243 imo. The later ones came with threaded muzzles. They're pretty hard to find now though and there won't be any real support for parts so keep that in mind if stuff like that is a concern. Palmetto State Armory bought the rights and supposedly will start making them when everything else cools down some day. Hopefully they are fully compatible but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

204 AR thanks for the info. I have more 243 brass than anything else. What about APF rifles? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a suppressor too. Too many wants not enough dollar bills. Lol

thanks
Jon

I know nothing about apf except they seem kind of high, and I think they're built with the normal (heavy) parts. The magic of the G2 is the lighter, shorter bcg and receivers.

I know the wants vs dollars struggle well.

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: varminter .223If you have grendel brass the 243 lbc would work too.

Loved my lbc from Ritch and put a bunch of rounds through it then sold it to a buddy in Denver for his kid to use on deer and I guess it's working well. Brass is better than 6.8 imo with a Lapua option. Buy the best bolt you can find as I broke two cheapies at high round counts.

Of course the 6 arc is the factory option that's a hair shorter but basically the same.

204AR what kind of velocity was you getting. I wouldn't want to shoot heavies, mostly 70 or less.

Thanks
Jon

Originally Posted By: docjon2013Originally Posted By: Kino MPretty much the same performance from the factory 224 Valkyrie and the wildcat 22x6.8, both are designed from the same 6.8SPC parent case.

I have used and still do at times a 243 remington sps varmint with a 26" barrel. I got one better sometimes I take my 257 Weatherby in my accumark with some 87 grain And that will trump your 243 anyday you want to play.

I got time to debate with you jokers today so I'll play....

Please explain Trump your 243??? Brass availability, NO! Bullet selection, NO, factory ammo, NO, component availability, NO.... Maybe a tad more barrel life but thats debatable as well. Dead is dead and the 243 smacks them like lightning, recoil is very light, especially with the light bullets.

Varminter I keep seeing those velocity numbers people post on the 6x6.8 and the 2 brand new ones I have and my buddies that ordered his the same time won't get ANYWHERE close to what you posted with those exact powders and bullets. I wanted a combination of speed and 6mm bullets so I went down the 6x6.8 road and with what is currently available my new rifles doesn't get to the hype....

Been a while since I chronographed but Im pretty sure of the speeds. I never got good accuracy with lighter pills but my most accurate load is 70 BTS at 2.300 with 29.7 ar comp.
At 3270ish they will flatten coyotes.

Last edited:
Kino,
I was talking pure performance. The 257 thumps with way more authority than 243. I have witnessed it myself and it should because it's just bigger. I love my 243 with 58 vmaxs. It's a hammer for sure. I just love a fast 22. My 22-250 with 52 grain does about 3750. I stopped testing there because it shot so well. I can push it more, but I found the sweet spot. I bet that 257-barrel life is shorter than a 243, well mine will be. Like I said I am interested in ar-10 in 243 since I have tons of brass. I just don't want a real heavy gun. But as far as components it's all hard to come by, however did find some varget, h4350 and black horn 209.

thanks
Jon

Originally Posted By: docjon2013Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: varminter .223If you have grendel brass the 243 lbc would work too.

204AR what kind of velocity was you getting. I wouldn't want to shoot heavies, mostly 70 or less.

Thanks
Jon

I pretty much shot 87 gr vmax, I can't remember exactly but thinking a little under 3k. I did shoot some 55's through it but can't recall the speed. I'm thinking almost 3500 out of the 22" but that was several years ago and I'm not sure I kept the records. I may have posted it here though.

Back