6mmAR

Lacounty72

Anyone have any good way to get in contact with Whitely's at 6mmar.com? I've tried reaching out to them about potentially looking at an upper with them but can't seem to get ahold of anyone. I've left voicemails and emails with the contact info on their website but haven't heard anything back in over week and a half...or if you know of anyone else building 6mmAR's I'd welcome suggestions.

TIA

I think the release of the 6 MM ARC by Hornady has put a dent in the 6 MM AR market. The 6 ARC uses a necked down shorter 6.5 Grendel case. There doesn’t seem to be much difference ballistically between the 6 MM AR and 6 ARC. Hornady has released reloading data for bolt actions and gas guns for he 6 ARC. Hornady has been slow to release 6 ARC brass so many shooters are using modified 6.5 Grendel brass. I think Hornady shortened the 6 ARC case to prevent a 6.5 Grendel cartridge from chambering in a 6 ARC barrel.

Originally Posted By: VASCAR2I think Hornady shortened the 6 ARC case to prevent a 6.5 Grendel cartridge from chambering in a 6 ARC barrel.
Highly unlikely you could stuff a 6.5 bullet in a 6 hole.

For reference, a 243, 260, 7-08, 308, 358 all take the same go/no go gauge.

They were catering to the big bullet/long range fans, so it was shortened to allow more seating room to fit them in a 2.60" mag.

Personally, I wished it would have been just a straight necked down proposition, with a 22 caliber option as well.

They also decided to twist and throat the new cartridges to shoot station wagon length bullets. That's not what you want for coyote and smaller targets. As far as a factory coyote cartridge the 22 Nosler still rules.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223They also decided to twist and throat the new cartridges to shoot station wagon length bullets. That's not what you want for coyote and smaller targets. As far as a factory coyote cartridge the 22 Nosler still rules.

Well said.

Greg

Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: VASCAR2I think Hornady shortened the 6 ARC case to prevent a 6.5 Grendel cartridge from chambering in a 6 ARC barrel.
Highly unlikely you could stuff a 6.5 bullet in a 6 hole.

For reference, a 243, 260, 7-08, 308, 358 all take the same go/no go gauge.

They were catering to the big bullet/long range fans, so it was shortened to allow more seating room to fit them in a 2.60" mag.

Personally, I wished it would have been just a straight necked down proposition, with a 22 caliber option as well.

Totally agree.

Back