Is the heyday of cool rounds over?

204 AR

Man, this place used to be jumping with chatter of the latest, fastest, new round, either factory or wildcat. First the Wssms and 204, the DTI line and 6x6.8, 22 Nosler and NXS, of course the Grendel and 6.8, and others I missed.

Now it takes half a year just to get a barrel and you don't see anyone posting up any new arrivals or load work ups anymore.

Is AR innovation dead or just dormant?

Component depression, plain and simple! Guys are barely getting by so its hard to experiment when components are unobtainable.

It will come back but probably not under this administration.....

Everyone wants to be a sniper and shoot super heavy bullets from a 223 ar15. Fast and light should be the interest. Imagine a 20 nosler? 22 Hagar, 6mm Hagar etc. or heck how about a rebated rim BR cased round. The industry has focused on shortening the 6.8 case even more. I keep saying stop shortening the case! Make it bigger not smaller!

The 6 Hagar is it if someone had a reamer for 55 to 70 grain bullets. I was in the process of ordering one when the bca side charging .243s appeared. That combined with dirt cheap Dogtown 70 grain ammo made me stop the 6 Hagar barrel. I'm really considering one again though.

Originally Posted By: Kino MComponent depression, plain and simple! Guys are barely getting by so its hard to experiment when components are unobtainable.

I think this is pretty close to the answer. Its hard to work up a load when you can't get components. Seems lately that every time I get a bullet to shoot really well, I can't get any more of them.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: Kino MComponent depression, plain and simple! Guys are barely getting by so its hard to experiment when components are unobtainable.

I think this is pretty close to the answer. Its hard to work up a load when you can't get components. Seems lately that every time I get a bullet to shoot really well, I can't get any more of them.

god forbid trying to find different powders to experiment with.

Funny you say that. Seems in my neck of the woods powder is more available than bullets and primers. One shop in Tulsa even had H4350 in stock. To pricey to buy but it was there.

Last edited:
Pyscodog it is weird how different areas and dealers have certain things.

I'm already scrounging for next year!

Originally Posted By: steve garrettEveryone wants to be a sniper and shoot super heavy bullets from a 223 ar15. Fast and light should be the interest. Imagine a 20 nosler? 22 Hagar, 6mm Hagar etc. or heck how about a rebated rim BR cased round. The industry has focused on shortening the 6.8 case even more. I keep saying stop shortening the case! Make it bigger not smaller!

Thats because PRS is the fastest growing shooting sport right now and heavy high BC rules the game, varmint hunters have much different requirements. Even gun manufacturers have changed twist rates to accommodate the heavy pills and the long throats in chambers.

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: steve garrettEveryone wants to be a sniper and shoot super heavy bullets from a 223 ar15. Fast and light should be the interest. Imagine a 20 nosler? 22 Hagar, 6mm Hagar etc. or heck how about a rebated rim BR cased round. The industry has focused on shortening the 6.8 case even more. I keep saying stop shortening the case! Make it bigger not smaller!

Thats because PRS is the fastest growing shooting sport right now and heavy high BC rules the game, varmint hunters have much different requirements. Even gun manufacturers have changed twist rates to accommodate the heavy pills and the long throats in chambers.

Yeah then a rebated rim 6mm br case should be awesome for that. I think what people are using for prs has become rediculous. Massive chassis guns only suitable for a 50 foot walk from their truck

Originally Posted By: pyscodogFunny you say that. Seems in my neck of the woods powder is more available than bullets and primers. One shop in Tulsa even had H4350 in stock. To pricey to buy but it was there.

probably why it was still in stock. someone desperate enough hasnt come along yet.

i hear ya on the primers. @ssproshops has been getting them and has them fairly regularly on the shelf around here - for $60/1k. stuff that....

Originally Posted By: willy1947

The best news was the 250-3000 round came out as the 6,5mm Creedmore.
Even the NRA told this fact to be true.

I didn't start this to be a "let's bash my least favorite round thread".

Originally Posted By: steve garrettEveryone wants to be a sniper and shoot super heavy bullets from a 223 ar15. Fast and light should be the interest. Imagine a 20 nosler? 22 Hagar, 6mm Hagar etc. or heck how about a rebated rim BR cased round. The industry has focused on shortening the 6.8 case even more. I keep saying stop shortening the case! Make it bigger not smaller!

I'm with you. I want an ar 15 in a 22 caliber that kills like the king of predator rounds the 22-250. I don't want hear the 223 is just as good cause its not. I've hunted with both for years and the 223 can't touch the 22-250 as far as I've seen in my experience. This also includes the 204 and 17 rem. I have tried those too. I am not knocking what people use I just prefer a very fast 22 caliber for coyotes. I guess I just like fast because I deer hunt with a 257 Weatherby.

Jon

Originally Posted By: varminter .22322 Nosler or 22x6.8 is what you are after.

Varminter, I don't know what I would do. I do like the idea of factory ammo. Does the 22x6.8 have to be fire formed? I don't want to mess with that if you do. I would get at least a 22" barrel. I love my 22-250s but I like the ar just not in a 223 for coyotes. Who makes the 22x6.8 barrel or upper?

Thanks
Jon

Any coyote hunting done with 22x6.8? I am not interested in heavy bullets. 55 grain max and a 24 inch barrel. I am after speed.
Thanks
Jon

Last edited:
Ritch has killed quite a few with the 22X6.8. He designed it and sells the barrels. It requires a straight neck down and no fire forming.

For a step up to 22-250 the 22 NXS does the job with little effort. It is a straight reform from the 6 HAGAR. It has long case life and it is devastating with light bullets. Ritch designed it and the guys shooting it are very impressed.

I have posted up some stuff here on it. Brass has been available for the last year or so with no problem. Ritch is the only source on this one.

Greg

Last edited:
Back