Ballistic Advantage Barrel Frustrations...

I can think of at least 6 barrels made by BA that are sitting in my safe at the moment that have shot great and been trouble free. That being said, I have had a barrel sent to me earlier this year (16" midlength 5.56 flagship barrel) that had noticable rust inside the bore. So much that I couldnt get it out and still had noticable spots from the gas port forward. Sent it back to Primary Arms without issue and received a refund. Fast foward to about a month ago, they had a bunch on sale so I jumped on a "blem" Hanson Profile 13.9" with pinned block and a 14.5" midlength. Now tonight I finally got some time to open one and was going to mount the hanson. Long story short, the patch is so red with rust, you would think I dipped it in bucket of rusty water. So I opened the other and sure enough, same thing.

Guess I have to lose shipping again and return them to PA AGAIN. After having a very finicky 18" SPR barrel not wanting to shoot to expectation and now 3 rusted bores in other barrel, I am starting to believe the rumor their QC has fallen through the floor.

Some people are claiming its due to the QPQ melonite treatment but if that were the case, the other 5 melonited barrels I have from them would have shown the same thing. When I say the bore is dark, I mean it looks like a barrel that had corrosive ammo shot through it and never cleaned. Just riddled with rust. Disappointing....

With all of this in mind, I am looking suggestions on a good quality carbine barrel with a pinned block, length is not vital although I have a Dead Air device that will be pinned and welded on so 14.5 or 13.9 inches would be prefered.

Last edited:
Back