Pistol build short stroking...buffer spring?

LARUEminati

Hoping someone has some insight into this. Recent .223 pistol build from CBC Industries and it's short stoking with my 60GR handholds and Winchester 5.56 box ammo. The BCG does not come back far enough to eject the case or lock open on the last round. Upon inspection the buffer spring that came with the kit is noticeably stiffer than the one in my rifle and it's 11.5" long VS 10.5" long (carbine buffer).

Does anyone think the longer/stiffer buffer spring would be the culprit? I pulled the gas block and there does not appear to be any misalignment or leakage so I suspect all is good there. I was thinking this thing would be overpassed so I'm a bit surprised.

Won't have time to make it to the range until later in the week but if I can gain some better understanding in the meantime it may help me sort it out.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminati Recent .223 pistol build....short stoking....

Upon inspection the buffer spring that came with the kit is noticeably stiffer than the one in my rifle and it's 11.5" long VS 10.5" long (carbine buffer).

Does anyone think the longer/stiffer buffer spring would be the culprit?

I'm confused.
It's a pistol build so it should be a carbine length spring.
You say the one in your pistol build is stiffer than the one in your rifle that is 11.5" and the carbine one on your pistol is 10.5".

But then you ask if the longer/stiffer one could be the culprit.

I thought the 10.5" carbine spring in your pistol build was the stiffer spring, NOT the longer rifle spring.

Am I missing something?

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: LARUEminati Recent .223 pistol build....short stoking....

Upon inspection the buffer spring that came with the kit is noticeably stiffer than the one in my rifle and it's 11.5" long VS 10.25" long (carbine buffer).

Does anyone think the longer/stiffer buffer spring would be the culprit?

I'm confused.
It's a pistol build so it should be a carbine length spring.
You say the one in your pistol build is stiffer than the one in your rifle that is 11.5" and the carbine one on your pistol is 10.5".

But then you ask if the longer/stiffer one could be the culprit.

I thought the 10.5" carbine spring in your pistol build was the stiffer spring, NOT the longer rifle spring.

Am I missing something?

Reversed, the spring that came with the pistol kit is 11.5" long.

The one I pulled from my rifle that functions perfectly is 10.25" long and isn't nearly as stiff as the one supplied in the pistol kit.

They are both carbine length although different OAL's.

I'm wondering if the longer/stiffer spring could be the culprit for the short stroking.

Last edited:
Back