Suppressed .17 Hornet..

PLOTBOSS

...I cut and threaded my Ruger 77/17 All-Weather from 24" to 18" awhile back, shopping suppressors now. I don't really think I need a very big can to tame this little .17 Hornet but I'm not up to speed on all the options out there. Ideally, I'd be able to use the same can for .22 and .22 Magnum but a dedicated .17 Hornet can would be fine too. What would you guys with much more suppressor experience recommend here?

You will have to ask the manufacturer of the rimfire can to see if it will be able to handle the pressure of the 17h.

Originally Posted By: PLOTBOSS...I cut and threaded my Ruger 77/17 All-Weather from 24" to 18" awhile back, shopping suppressors now. I don't really think I need a very big can to tame this little .17 Hornet but I'm not up to speed on all the options out there. Ideally, I'd be able to use the same can for .22 and .22 Magnum but a dedicated .17 Hornet can would be fine too. What would you guys with much more suppressor experience recommend here?

Many of the rimfire suppressors, especially the better ones, are 17 Hornet rated. The benefit to using a 17 Hornet rated rimfire can is they are much lighter. The TBAC 22 Takedown can only weighs 5.9 ounces. The Dead Air Mask weighs 6.6 I think the 22 Banish from Silencer Central only weighs 4.1 ounces.

I shoot both of my CZ 17 Hornets suppressed and they're pretty darn quiet and it just increases the fun factor.

Plotboss,

I have a ruger 77/22 hornet and use my SWR spectre on this rifle. It is nice using the smaller .22lr cans as they are light and handy. Check to make sure the can is rated for these higher pressures.

I have a 77/17 with a Switchback can. Original barrel was lousy, sent back to Ruger. They tweaked a few things, helped a little but still nothing to brag about. Put a Lilja on, now a tack driver. I have experimented with a few reloads but now am only using factory 20 gr American Eagle, the most accurate in my rifle of all the factory I tried. I would prefer the 25 gr if I could still get it. As others have said many rf cans are rated for the Hornet if they are made of steal. I am not aware of any aluminum rated for the Hornet. No idea how to rate the cans effectiveness as I have nothing else to compare it with but definitely do not need hearing protection

Suppression and 17’s are like magic! I am looking at a tbac ultra 5 for my 17 fireball. As a bonus I could also use it on much larger cartridge guns than just rimfire.

I just got an Odin works Nav22. Rated up to 17 hornet. I have only shot it on 22lr so far and it's awesome. Very light and you can change the length by the number of baffles you want on.

Back