Cougar Calling this year

Colorado season opened the 29th. Haven't been out yet. It's hard to fit it in with Christmas around the corner and guests on the way. Maybe tomorrow. There's fresh snow to check out.

Just finished reading the new stories that you added, Steve. Great stuff! Thanks for the updates.
Tomorrow is my last day of work before a 2 week vacation. Can't wait to get out and get some stands in. Gotta get my truck up and running though. Such bad timing...ugh! Hopefully I'll be able to share some stories soon.

I'm diving DEEP into my 4runner right now... would appreciate prayers!!! Hopefully just headgasket. (Love that old runner!)

Put snow tires on the powerstroke though, so I'm able to get out if I ever find time!

Last edited:
So, it's Fall time again!

Just a reminder, that I want cougar hunting stories... even if they happen during a deer hunt, or just driving to town!

Just Posted O38 on the webpage! http://www.rain-shadow.com/cougar-callin-stories.html

A friend of mine on a "fresh" sighting!

Good luck this year, guys and gals!

Electronically delivered sound sequences and tutorials are still available on the website. Also building hand calls for cougar and everything else, and still doing custom knives! Baby girl is getting older so I can get some more shop time as things progress!

Son, Alex, is still doing budget blades. (1st year of college from home, janitor at our church, studying wildlife biology.)

Son, David, is able to do pens and letter openers, but is moving to focusing more on cleavers and swords and more complicated stuff! (Jr year, homeschool, co-captain of the Selah Vikings football team!)

I just made this for my website and Facebook page…

“Have you considered the feasibility of taking a dedicated predator hunting trip? Especially focusing on cougars? Think it wouldn’t be worth it? Let me give out an early Christmas Present here… I want to up your odds!”

Apologies for the skippy audio, not sure what the dealio is with it.

FYI:

ComplEEEEEEETTTly built a new website today. (Yeesh, how do them nerds do it all day every day?!?!)

Same URL, although the www isn't necessary anymore.

rain-shadow.com

Simple.

GoDaddy couldn't handle a 16 file download purchase, or over 200,000 keystrokes on one page, so a couple things had to change...

The Cougar Calling Package is now in three parts, but it's an e-commerce site and it's supposed to download purchases automatically, so it's easy and simple... hopefully!

The Call-In Story Pages are linked from the home page, and easy, and now divided into sections, so it's actually a little easier to find stuff... but the old direct link doesn't work!

So, the Direct LinkS to the Calling Stories are:

https://rain-shadow.com/cougar-calling-stories-1

https://rain-shadow.com/cougar-calling-stories-2

When I add (YOUR) story, I'll direct the post to the page in question, the pages link to each other and to home so it's all at the click or tap.

Speaking of Tap, it's supposed to work WAYYYY better on phones and tablets now...

I'm going to be adding and tweaking for a decade or so, but check it out and see what you think!

Just posted story number RS24... Dave, in South Dakota got another one! His 4th!

Of course, he called cold (which I advise not to do unless you're out of options) on a spot that worked in the past (which I advise is a bad way to pick a stand location) and just WORKED one right in!

Once you say one thing, another thing works!

First Call-In Story Page on the website... link here: https://rain-shadow.com/cougar-calling-stories-1

Get out after 'em!

Friday the 1st, cougar season opens. Going to do an all dayer. Calling without any snow to help me see critters and see tracks, not exactly a high odds game, but hey, i got nothin better to do. The mountains behind my house are crawling with cats. Got done bear hunting almost 3 weeks ago. Sure wish cougar opened aug 1st with bear.

Well, wont be going out tomorrow for opening day of cougar. The simple project of replacing my water heater has turned into a giant PITA requiring cutting big holes in my drywall and cutting a bunch of pipes and making several trips to the hardware store. Hopefully ill have this stupid project finished tomorrow afternoon. Sometimes i wish i just rented.

Last edited:
Back