Most affordable, but accurate AR?

Dogdownohio2016

Really debating on buying an AR for coyote hunting and plinking but not really sure where to start. I have nice bolt actions that shoots amazing but they wear big target scopes and heavy laminate stocks. I am currently looking at an M&P sport, optics ready and a Ruger AR556. If it wont shoot a quality bullet MOA or better I don't want it. I will admit up until about 3 months ago I had never shot an AR so don't know anything about them. I figure it would be better than a cheap bolt gun.

I can keep it MOA or better out to 300yards with some of my bolt actions. How do I tell if these two rifles have good barrel quality? I shot the AR with flip up sights and a red dot at something like 40yards free hand and was able to keep them in a baseball/softball group with cheap ammo. I believe this rifle was a higher end model though.

Honestly not sure if there will be much difference in accuracy when you compare some of the entry level ARs.... I would stay away from Bear Creek... but lowest I would consider likely a DPMS, my next pick would be something from Palmetto State Armory, then S&W M&P Sport, then a Ruger, and as already mentioned Rock River Arms tops my list of affordable ARs.

My recommendation, get something that has a free-float handguard (most these days come like this, with M-lok), 18", and a .223WYLDE chamber. The next biggest thing you can get is a trigger upgrade! Any number of drop ins available. On my hunting rig I personally have a RRA national match 2 stage trigger with JP yellow lightweight springs and it's pretty awesome.

I am assuming I want an optics ready rifle without the front sight? Is a forward assist and dust cover needed? I figure I would change the stock, trigger and handguard. From what i read the Ruger comes with a match trigger and M lock handguard so that's why it was on my list.

What about getting a complete lower and adding a trigger, grip, etc and buying an upper separate? Doesn't seem to be much around as far as uppers.

Originally Posted By: Dogdownohio2016I am assuming I want an optics ready rifle without the front sight? Is a forward assist and dust cover needed? I figure I would change the stock, trigger and handguard. From what i read the Ruger comes with a match trigger and M lock handguard so that's why it was on my list.

What about getting a complete lower and adding a trigger, grip, etc and buying an upper separate? Doesn't seem to be much around as far as uppers.

All options, the world is your oyster as you open your wallet. I would say, a complete gun from one manufacture likely has higher resale value versus something you pieced together.

Forward assist and dust cover most definitely not needed.

"Best bang for your buck" is buying a stripped lower, buying one good trigger, put whatever buttstock you want on it, then but a complete upper from someone (PSA has some great deals on optics ready hunting uppers)

Your initial investment, basically the rifle, then stock, trigger and hand guard,that you said you'd probably replace,now you've already spent what a RRA comes with stock. I don't think, short of a custom rifle,that you'll get one that shoots any better than a Rock River rifle. JMO

right now PSA has a 18in 223 wylde with 2stage precision trigger and a vortex 1-8 strike eagle with mount for $749.99 and all you need is a stripped lower to complete the rifle and with some hand tools put the lower together and you are into it for under $900.00 and i have built a couple for beater guns and they shoot good. Not as good as my rocks or the ones that I built with early BA barrels but for truck guns they are acceptable.

I forget not everyone builds/assembles their AR's. Rock River for a full rifle purchase, if one of the models suits your needs. The accuracy(sub moa should be there).

I've had really good results with Seekins AR's. Seekins may not be the most economical but they've been good for me so far.

Personally I'd put my money into a dedicated bolt action calling rifle. ARs are way over rated as hunting weapons. The only shot that counts is the first one.

I do own a very good AR with both 223 and 20P uppers and have killed coyotes with it but it is pretty much the last rifle I would take out. A well set up bolt can have quite fast repeat shots if you spend some time practicing with it. See if you can find a video of a British mad minute drill.

A nice light weight rifle that fits well with a decent scop with at least 40 feet of FOV on the bottom end will work well for called coyotes. 223 will work best for saving furs, it will be easier to find a load that works. 22 250 or larger if you feel the need to reach out there farther and pelts aren't important.

Last edited:
the only advantage over a bolt they have is they hold lots of cartridges and shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. They are awkward, complicated, noisy, hard to shoot off a bench, not great triggers, not very handy off shooting sticks and not great for fast target acquisition. Lots of minuses for the one plus.

comments from experience
wZlF4l.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSthe only advantage over a bolt they have is they hold lots of cartridges and shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. They are awkward, complicated, noisy, hard to shoot off a bench, not great triggers, not very handy off shooting sticks and not great for fast target acquisition. Lots of minuses for the one plus.

comments from experience
wZlF4l.jpg

Sorry but I can't agree with some of this and I'm not an AR guy. I've had a few but those days are gone. While certain stocks don't work well on a bench, there are some that work just fine, as for triggers, you'll never get a jewell type trigger but there are some pretty good triggers on the market today. Shooting off a bench or sticks, with a float tube type fore-end, I can't say it was ever a problem. Complicated, Nah! Actually pretty simple to work on but may need a few specialty tools. My main nitch is I hate picking up brass. Granted the bolt slamming is noisy and some can get heavy but for fast follow up shots they're hard to beat. For coyotes I really prefer my bolt rifles but if I was hunting hogs, I can see where an AR might be a better choice. I want to kill all those corn robbing SOB's I could.

. I have a Ruger AR .556. I also have a couple of Palmetto state armory AR's. They are great rifles but not that accurate. If you want an accurate AR without breaking the bank, I think you need took at a 20" barrel. I had a DPMS Prairie Panther that would shoot bug holes straight from the factory with factory ammo. It really liked the 55 grain ballistic tips remanufactured ammo from Black Hills. However, I really prefer my bolt guns for hunting.

Last edited:
My first AR was a Colt. What a POS! It was minute of human body at best. My 2nd was a RRA Pred. with a 20" heavy barrel. In all honesty, I would put it up against just about any bolt gun out there. It was stupid accurate. Had a custom build in 204R that shot pretty good to but it went down the road. somewhere in the mix, I built a few, but after the RRA I just lost interest as none held a candle to the Rock. I haven't owned an AR in years and unless another RRA Pred comes around I probably won't own another.

I used to feel the same as AWS, but I've changed my tune biggly with night hunting on the menu....

Originally Posted By: AWSthe only advantage over a bolt they have is they hold lots of cartridges and shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. They are awkward, complicated, noisy, hard to shoot off a bench, not great triggers, not very handy off shooting sticks and not great for fast target acquisition. Lots of minuses for the one plus.

comments from experience
wZlF4l.jpg

Again, some of that is simple preference. AR's do hold lots of cartridges, though I'm not sure that's a big deal in a typical hunting situation. Follow up shots are very quick and come without disturbing the sight picture because of a need to physically manipulate the action to reload. That is a plus.

Awkward is a draw, give that to personal preference and what you get used to. AR's are not complicated, in fact they are very straightforward to manipulate and keep them operating.

Noisy... maybe so when chambering the first round. Mine stays hot from the time I leave the truck so that's not a consideration for me personally. Hard to shoot from a bench? Ten round magazines pretty much solve that issue.

Good triggers are all over the place and don't need to cost an arm and a leg. The RRA two stage is a very good trigger and often can be found for around $100. Install can be done without needing a gunsmith unless you're a putz in the shop. I've seen those combo shotgun/rifles you favor and I'd be willing to bet on a good AR trigger as much better than those combo guns have. Shooting off sticks is an issue? Can't possibly see how. And it has never been an issue for me or anyone I know.

Not great for fast target acquisition? C'mon... that's silly. The sporting world blazes down targets in various matches and law enforcement and the military burn down bad guys PDQ. Other than a shotgun I don't know anything faster.

It seems you just aren't comfortable with the AR platform and don't like them. That's ok, you don't have to. Your issues with the platform aren't other peoples experiences.
Different strokes...

Back