Bullet makers classifing types of applications

Lodgepole

I use Sierra mostly and like the the following Gameking,varmint,Matchking.That tells me the general application .I am not sure how clear that is with the other makers.Are their bullets similarly classed ?

Well there’s Hornady eld-m and eld-x. The eld stands for extremely low drag and the -m tells you match or the -x means eXpanding for hunting. Yet the Hornady eld-m bullets are widely used for hunting by many people. Pretty much every company will tell you what the bullet does on the box. Nosler ballistic tip, bonded partition, Berger vld target, vld classic hunter.

Yes, they just use different words(copyright?) Competition, Match, Varmint, Bonded, Trophy, Hot-cor. The boutique(custom) shops usually do not.

I like to read the loading manual descriptions. Hornady tells you, in many cases what powder worked best generally, and which bullets are for what. Speer has good information on their bullet strengths and limitations also.

When comparing to Nosler.... You ask if it is as accurate as a ballistic Tip, or as good as a Partition? Usually not! LoL

thanks to all .I think I have been spoiled by Sierra .Although we all know labels don't get you fur it is good to know that some bullets are made very fragile on purpose .The label plainly states that with Sierra.

I love Sierra bullets. I must say though, Hornady is the one getting the most bullets out there the fastest.

During the last couple of years i have been finding, and shooting Hornady. And with great results.

I have not seen any 30-30, 45 Colt or 45-70 from Sierra, online in a long time.

hornady has information on line as to the general intended use of most of their product lines. not so much in the naming all the time, but they do let you know what is intended for what.

if you email tech@hornady.com with a specific bullet question , they will happily answer what the intended use is for, min/max intended terminal velocity ranges for the bullet to "operate", etc.

just a few examples of product lines and their usage

v-max - poly tip varmit bullet - designed for violent expansion relatively shallow after impact on thin skinned game/varmints/predators

a-max(discontinued) & ELD-M (replaced the amax) - boat tail match bullet focused on extremely consistent jackets with polymer tips for increased BC. the only real difference between them is the tip material and a minor change to the meplat of the tip design.

eld-X - new long range hunting bullet designed for out past >400 yds. this is a high BC VLD style bullet for long range hunting up to around 800 yds if memory serves correctly. will still work well at 0-400 yd ranges too. medium to big game - elk, whitetail, mule deer, etc

SST - more traditional poly tipped hunting bullet. bonded, interlock ring, boattail design. medium game - whitetail/elk type bullet.

FTX - flex (soft) tip bullet for use in leverguns with tubular magazines. bonded, heavier jacket design, interlock ring to help control expansion. hunting bullet. also used in some of their straight wall cartridges (350 legend, 450 bushmaster, 50 beowulf) as well as some pistol rounds too.

interlock - more traditional soft point type cup and core type bullet. bonded, interlock ring, tapered jacket - just what you'd expect from a traditional whitetail bullet

interbond - modernized version of the interlock with a poly tip and a bit thicker jacket for punching thru heavier bone.

match - BTHP match bullet. swaged core, extremely precise jacket, your traditional style paper puncher with good technology in the design.

as noted - detailed descriptions on these bullet types available on their website.

i shoot a lot of hornady bullets, i think they're a good mix of value and availbility. red boxes adorn most of my reloading supplies shelf. i primarily use their VMAX, AMAX/ELD-M, SST, FTX & HPBT match bullets.

hth

Thanks Plant 1 that was helpful . I had always thought the VMax was a varmint bullet with rapid expansion more likely to shallow penetration (maybe not always ) .I live where there is almost no chance of damage outside of your intended target and do not do lots of varmint shooting . We have a good number of wolves in the area and they could slip up and come to the call which is more likely to draw a coyote.for that reason I lean toward the tougher bullets . I am working on standardizing a load for three 223 s and two 22-250.My 243 would be better medicine for the chance wolf but the stars need to line up well for them.

Back