6mm arc Shaw barrel

Dark moon 63

I think I'm going to build a 6mm arc. I want to stay with a 22 or 24 inch for velocity and don't want to wait a year for it. Midway has a 18 inch Shilen but Shaw offers a 22 inch in 2 to 4 weeks. Am I heading in the right direction or should I keep looking. Any advice would be appreciated.

You'll catch a little flak over the Shaw barrel, mainly because they are inexpensive compared to a premium barrels cost. On a flip side, they usually are decent barrels IMO. I put one on a Mauser action in 25-06 and it shot very well for an inexpensive barrel. Alot better than I expected. Another brand you might look at is Wilson. They make good barrels and won't break the bank.

Barrels are one of the cheapest parts of the build yet one of the most important. I'd rather spend the extra $100-$150 for a premium barrel than take my chances with one that may or may not be. The known top shelf barrels like Bartlein, Krieger, and Hart range in price from $330-$375. A Shaw is $220. I don't know anything about them but for me there just isn't enough savings to take the risk on an unknown versus the others I know are as good as it gets.

Thanks. I called Shilen and they have a 24 inch in stock. Wilson isn't making the 6mm arc right now. I'll call a couple others and see what they say. Thanks again.

The Shaw barrel I had shot good and cleaned up pretty easily. Mine was cheap and came threaded and short chambered. For the money spent I was impressed.

ER Shaw barrels are in my opinion just about as good a barrel as anyone really needs. I have had several and all if them shot just as good as my Wilson, Krieger, Shilen, X-caliber or Hart barrels. Did I just get lucky every time? I don't see how that's possible. I have no stock in the company but I always feel compelled to give them a tip of the hat whenever this comes up. I am happy with them for sure.

I went with a Ballistic Advantage... a nice blend of cost and performance. I always liked the 18" AR rifle so that's what I went with.

Granted the below groups are only 3 shots, the potential is certainly there for a sub $200 barrel. I got mine from Brownell's when they came in stock.

It's good to have available options, or not a long wait options. I've watched brownells for months but I see they have a 24 inch Aero complete upper in stock. Grendel brass shows up now and then and I can get dies. Thanks for all the help.

Originally Posted By: Dark moon 63It's good to have available options, or not a long wait options. I've watched brownells for months but I see they have a 24 inch Aero complete upper in stock. Grendel brass shows up now and then and I can get dies. Thanks for all the help.

Apparently, from reading other guys post about converting 6.5G brass to 6mm ARC, it's not an overly successful adventure despite the fact it should be.

Guys are having difficulty with chambering brass after reforming. Therefore I've not tried it.

I've heard some are sizing it 2 or 3 times and getting it to work. Would be nice to have a few pieces of Grendel brass to try it. I know new brass is annealed but I thought I would anneal it good before I tried it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RustydustER Shaw barrels are in my opinion just about as good a barrel as anyone really needs. I have had several and all if them shot just as good as my Wilson, Krieger, Shilen, X-caliber or Hart barrels. Did I just get lucky every time? I don't see how that's possible. I have no stock in the company but I always feel compelled to give them a tip of the hat whenever this comes up. I am happy with them for sure.

Rusty Glad to see you had better luck than I did with Shaw BUT.. Full disclosure I used Shaws Manufactured BEFORE they upgraded their Machinary some few years ago (actually more like 10+ years ago).

I still will not use a shaw BUT they can and do make decent barrels. Do not let my post deter anyone from using a new Shaw they are probably good to go I do NOT have experiance with their products since their last retool but my understanding is was not cheap as it was costing them business then.

In closing it does my heart good to see many positive replies on their products.

As far as using Grendel brass for the ARC, I've never had a problem. I've loaded and shot hundreds of rounds made from Lapua and Starline. Ive always just made them from one pass with Hornady Dies then trimmed. Not sure how people are having issues.

I know this post is somewhat older, but Shaw makes a TON of OEM barrels for other companies. So much so, you are probably shooting a couple in some factory rifles right now. I have a few and like Rusty said, they shoot perfectly fine.

What twist on the 243 barrel?

I built a 6mm Creedmoor with a Wilson Combat 18" Tactical Hunter, I was able to shoot the 100gr & up bullets with the 6mm Creedmoor barrel, the Wilson Combat 243 18" topped out at 90gr or 95gr depending on the bullet design. The 243 was a 10" twist and the 6mm Creedmoor barrel is a 7.5" twist IIRC.

Ive got a brownells aero precision upper with a ballistic advantage 20" barrel and it is okay, its pretty picky to get a group under an inch at 100 yards. My uncle has same upper as me and one he built with a shaw barrel because he got impatient waiting for his brownells upper to come in and he rarely uses the ballistic advantage upper his shaw shoots a bit better

Back