Anyone use 90g nosler ballistic tips on deer?

Shoot the 80 TTSX or 80 GMX and you will be amazed at how far those little bullets will dig. Penetration on angled shots are not a problem.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeBang flop is all bullet placement, with any cal/chambering. I shoot shoulders to keep the deer from the neighbors. Yes they make a mess too.

Good placement is key, but I've never seen animals drop as quickly as those I've hit with the ttsx. I've had a couple years run that every animal, I take only the lungs instead of the whole package. I'm out of practice.

Using the massive recoiling 25-06, the animal is on the ground before the scope settles. It's nuts. I took an elk 2 (3?) years ago 150gr 30-06, pulled the trigger as it was in mid leap and took both lungs. It landed in a heap and never moved. I've been hunting with 'premium' bullets for as long as I can remember and haven't had similar results with similar shots.

The last goat I took with a nosler, 25-06 I think 110gr made it over 400 yards with no lungs or heart.

I love the all coppers
smile.gif

I guess if Bell collected all that ivory with a 7x57 a guy should be able to kill a buck with a .243. As said earlier, shot placement trumps caliber.

My Buddy uses 70 gr nozler bt all the time in his 243, and has killed a lot of deer in their tracks.

I have some 90 nozler bt loaded up at the moment for my 243... and I thought I was going to get a chance to test them today, as I had 3 bucks try to run me over in some swamp bottoms, while I was sitting in my coyote chair waiting for hogs or bucks to come by. I could have shot those bucks...IF.... they would have stopped trying to run me over... some dogs had been chasing them down into the swamp.... I just happened to be in their way... they saw me and continued being spooked and ran right on past me... dang... I could have used a shotgun at that 30 yd distance.

I'll try again this week.

I use 70 BTs on coyotes and it blows huge holes through them. Ill have to try them during our anterless only hunt..after I try the 90s. I just traded for some 85g partitions I wanted to try out as well.

Last edited:
I shot the 95 grain Partitions for years out of my 243. Never had a deer take a step .Largest dressed out at 220 pounds. Great bullet in the 243

90 gr Nozler BT in my 243 worked this morning on this 250lb-plus hog, shot sideways in the boiler room at about 40 yds... BUT... it did run about 100 yds, but sprayed blood everywhere... it made for a easy tracking job, as the bullet passed through the opposite side right behind the other leg... leaving a fur friendly hole... I mean... hide friendly...LOL. Even though the bullet worked well... I was disappointed that it didn't drop right there. I always got good blood trails with my 30-06 on hogs and deer, but now I'm wanting droppers... maybe I just want too much...?

IMG_20150909_102328_zpsvskgh59r.jpg

I shot a Javalina with the 90 BT and it sucked it up and ran about 20 yards n piled. I shot another behind the shoulder with a 300g TC shockwave out of my muzzel loader and the thing went a good 150 yards. Both broadside lung shots. I think pigs just can take a punch! Id try some 220g core locts out of your 06 on close range hogs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bearcat 74
If you want them to drop start smacking some bone and get the CNS. If not be ready for some runners.

THIS!!! I've never had luck dropping deer or pigs with any soft tissue shots. High shoulder shots will give you want you want.

Only took me 6 years to decide to try a 90 grain ballistic tip on a deer. I had some doe tags to try it out. I used a Remington 600 with a 18.5" barrel. The load was using imr 4831 with .2 grains over max and loaded long. Shot a doe at approximately 15 yards. Bullet made one heck of a entry hole. I could fit my hand in the ribs. The bullet hit the top of the opposite shoulder blade and stopped in the outer skin of the shoulder. It weighed 45.1 grains and the core separated and was found within a 1/4”, or less, of the jacket. Almost looked like it was still sitting in the jacket but loose imo. Took out both lungs. The deer bang flopped like it was hit with Thors hammer. It never moved or flinched!!! Just like it does with coyotes. Hit it just under the back strap. I was impressed.

Entry hole...

UvlgWpN.jpg

You can barely see the the copper bullet under the skin on the opposite shoulder. If you zoom in you can see the copper jacket with the lead core right in front of it...

Q3wIKiU.jpg

Shoulder blade it hit....

yxdbeGZ.jpg

And the recovered bullet...

YHLqxey.jpg

KiVnwkC.jpg

5rvME4m.jpg

Last edited:
Back