Athlon Argo HMR 2-12x42

I know there have been a couple Athlon threads lately. They all seem to get good reviews for what they are and their price point.
Im a couple of scopes short so I was looking around and the Argos 2-12x42 HMR with their IR AHMC recticle caught my eye. It seems to be about the perfect calling scope. Any experience with them? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
works great
zqXVn2.jpg

I'm looking seriously at the Athlon offerings. Thanks for the tip, and for all the other input. I knew I could get some educated opinions here.
Ken

I ended up buying one and really like it. I bought the one with the AHMC recticle. It's thicker cross hairs, that goes down to thinner cross hairs, to a floating red dot. I feel it really focuses my eyes on the dot/target.
The dot is more like a square and seems to be a little bigger so it's definitely a hunting scope and works great for what it is
The glass is clear. I use it as my main calling rig. When it warms up a little I'm going to drag out all my scopes (ie Leopolds, Burris and a few others) and compare them all but over all I'm impressed.

I like everything about it, great FOV nearly 56 feet on 2x and 12x on the top end makes it great from close in to as far as I care to shoot.. Clear to the edges and bright. My only con is the reticle I would have preferred a dot in the center for faster close in target acquisition and just hashmarks where the elevation dots are. If they are out there far enough to use the elevation marks there is time to use a finer hashmark and in close the a bolder dot in the center would be quicker, but it works like it is and the elevation marks on 12x are close to the trajectory of my 20P 40gr. I keep it zeroed at 200 yards on 2x and just need to center hold to there. Once I get beyond there I just crank it all the way to 12x for longer shots.

How is the clarity in low light? If there was a full moon and a animal out in a field would you be confident in identifying the animal or being able to shoot it?

So have you checked the low light/night capabilities of this scope yet? It’s really got my eye and I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on one either way but was just curious.

Originally Posted By: Crob00Pulling the trigger today. Anyone know a promo code by chance

Price is already discounted on the Camera Land web site

I was looking at the Leupold VX Freedom line of scope to put on one of my rifles but after seeing this thread this Athlon scope has my interest.
How does it compare to the VX Freedom? Forgiving eye position? Clear image out to the edge? Good eye relief?

Thanks for any other info.

I have one of these with the illuminated BDC on my Bergara 243. It’s a great scope so far. I watched some deer in really low light during deer season and could see pretty well. I would put it just below my VX3s and Mk 4 in low light.

I've never compared the glass side by side but have no complaints about glass or eye relief. It has decent glass. I've never even thought about comparing them. Leopold definitely has it on weight. My VX Freedom is a lot lighter but of course it's a 3-4x40.

Back