450 Bushmaster shooters

crapshoot

Who is running a brake and or comp on their 450 bushy and what kind is it?
How much recoil reduction does it provide?

don't run a comp or brake on mine. I do know that if you are running an 18in with a mid length gas system there is less felt recoil than if you are running a 16in with carbine length.

Guess I'm getting old then.
Just picked up a Tromix 4 port. The factory bird cage style flash hider/ comp wasn't cutting it. I know the 4 port is going to increase noise at the shooter. I'll just keep my muffs on when hunting with it.

im using a Kaw Valley Comp on my Ruger American, never shot it with the factory break. I wanted something so i could use it in the woods with no ear muffs. Havent shot it yet with no muffs so no input on that...recoil is about same as a .308, much less than i expected

Had an American and rattled it apart. I ran 460 S&W max loads with 300 grain cast. No casing pressure signs but the gun itself couldn't put up with the punishment. It would belt my shoulder pretty good. Normal factory loads didn't kick much with the ruger supplied brake. Ruger switched it out with a gunsite scout. Haven't shot it yet but it's a little heavier with the same brake. I try to make it a habit of removing all my brakes and install a thread protector. Not a big fan of blowing out my ear drums.

Last edited:
i have a ross 3 port on my 20" bushmaster upper.

doesnt really need it - but it helps keep the muzzle from jumping around much and makes it a treat for less experienced shooters.

its not bad unless you're in a box blind...and then it'll rattle your fillings.

first time i had the magwell at the window ledge, hoping that all that barrel sticking out would help... nope lol rang my [beeep] bell!

I have a very early 450 from the first Bushmaster company.
Never had a problem. Bushmaster called it "The Thumper" for a reason.

Originally Posted By: greengt88im using a Kaw Valley Comp on my Ruger American, never shot it with the factory break. I wanted something so i could use it in the woods with no ear muffs. Havent shot it yet with no muffs so no input on that...recoil is about same as a .308, much less than i expected

Also have a Kaw Valley Comp, but on my .350 Legend (same-same right?). Though mine is on a 7.5" pistol barrel. I will tell you, it is absolutely dangerous to shoot without ear pro. I made the mistake of firing one off at a deer this season, quick shot I didn't have time to pull my muffs out of the bag, wow what a mistake. My ear was ringing for hours afterwards.

All brakes are horrible IMO I had blood coming out my right ear after firing my 14.5” POF without protection. I have KDF brakes on my 300 RUM and 375 RUM that are just as bad. I lost my hearing out of the same ear for a few days back in 2000’ on a Pronghorn hunt with the 300 RUM. My brakes have all been removed accept for the POF since the barrel would be legally to short. The bushmaster doesn’t kick hard enough to require a brake or any other caliber in an AR as far as I’m concerned.

This is none of my business at all but please fellows, wear ear protection.
It might seem like you are getting by but believe me you are not.
It's 7:30 AM. Not a sound.
Except the ringing. I will never hear quite again. The ringing will never stop till I am covered with dirt.
Every loud noise causes damage. It adds up over time.
Not just gun shots but all loud noise. It all adds up over time.
I started wearing ears years ago but it was to late.

I agree TN. I Have crickets year around. All because if a day wandering the woods one winter with a 357 when I was home from college. Then mix in 40+ years if competition shooting it takes its toll. Now I double up with plugs and muffs when I can.

Greg

PS: Seven years of hauling convicts on Con Air and working at the back of a 737 with the engines idling above me didn't help either.

I will nolonger shoot any centerfire without ear protection unless while hunting. I also leave my 450 at home and use my 350 legend for deer hunting. However I never shoot deer with a gun so I guess I don't even need the 350 lol. Shame on our bass turd politicians here in Il for not legalizing suppressors.

Last edited:
Ended up firing the RA 450 with no muffs at a coyote a few weeks ago…missed, but didn’t kill my hearing. No more than anything else I have ever shot.

Originally Posted By: crapshootMy ears sound more like cicadas.

what?
blink.gif

Back