Need some advice on gun not grouping.

rickyb

I purchased my can a couple years ago and like most people I waited close to a year. When I actually got it out of jail I had already purchased a browning 308 xbolt 20”barrel. that was threaded. I was shooting 1.5” at 200 yds with this gun from factory. Put the muzzle brake on with can and groups went down the tubes and all over the paper. I contacted the manufacturer and they wanted the barreled action and can which I sent them. They kept it for 10 months and after a couple phone calls told me there was no problem with threads and all checked out. They said I could have tightened the muzzle brake down a little tighter. So fast forward to this week and it’s no better and now I can’t get the muzzle brake off. I ordered a barrel vice to help with the removal. When I get the muzzle brake off if the gun goes back to grouping what do I need to do? Im talking 10” groups out of 3 different types of ammo with can on. The ammo I got 1.5” groups out of was HSM 168 gr Berger vld and I’m down to 8 shells. So I definitely can see if gun will group again with can and qd off.

I don’t have any experience with cans so what do you guys think?

It’s a quick connect device. Wish I would have went direct threads but was new to all of this and at the time thought it would be a good idea.

My biggest concern is the gun just want shoot with a can on it. I mean it’s a lot of time involved getting a can so now if you have to worry about finding a gun that likes a can it may be more trouble than it’s worth. I have chronic tinnitus so for me to get back in to shooting like I use to I need to figure this out.

Skinney I would rather not say. I don’t want the thread to be about bashing anybody. I just want to figure out what I need to do to get this gun shooting with a can.

Last edited:
I have two OSS and two Thunderbeast suppressors and I've shot them on 7 different guns without having any accuracy issues. The POI did shift significantly after putting the suppressor on a couple of the guns. All the guns shoot just as well with the suppressor on.

Is it possible that the scope is the issue?

Is it possible that a screw connecting the stock to the rifle is loose?

Have you tried the suppressor on a different gun?

How does the gun group with just just the QD break when the suppressor isn't on?

I totally removed the scope, rings and bases and used Wheelers fat wrench to torque them back down. I torqued the action screws to 35in lbs. the gun doesn’t shoot any better with just muzzle break on. I can try a different scope to rule that out. I also am waiting on barrel vice to remove the muzzle brake and then shoot the gun to see if it will group without anything on it. This is very frustrating to go thru all the trouble and have this to happen.

My wife and I are in the process of moving to our last home and slowing things down a bit. Im stuck between a rent house and building a new home. All of my reloading equipment is boxed up. Will try all things mentioned but can these cans be totally worthless?

This is why at this point I’m not naming the manufacturer because I don’t want to hurt someone’s business if it’s my fault. I will figure it out but can a supressor be totally worthless and how do I figure out it is?

Last edited:
BrianID the gun doesn’t group with just the muzzle brake (tomb) on it. I’m going take down a scope and I should get the barrel vice in this weekend. First thing I will do is take the muzzle brake off and shoot for groups. If it groups then I will get a second opinion on barrel threads being concentric. I’d don’t group I will try the different scope. One way are the other I will figure it out.

Last edited:
...Contact skinny through pm.....that way you keep it private(then no bashing on open forum) and he may be able to give you some great advice and steer you in a positive shooting direction.

...is the brake rusted on?..or a low level loktite?

Last edited:
I pm’d he yesterday. He has been very helpful in the past. I just got the gun back about a month ago. We were literally moving the week it came back from surpressor place. I have called them a few times to see if they used a loktite haven’t heard back. I couldn’t budge it with a buddy and wrench. Why I ordered the barrel vice so I can get it off. The surpressor place said the barrel threads were cut correctly and muzzle break mates up with surpressor. I’m sure hoping a bad scope.

Last edited:
Could be barrel harmonics, I had a 224 valk. barrel wouldn't shoot with a can on it. Just my 2 cents. I have 3 cans use on different 308's and 257 Roberts no issue's, just the Valkyrie.

Not knowing what your action is mounted to. Set your rifle on the counter/bench like you would if you were shooting at the range.
Take a piece of paper and slide it between the barrel and stock down to the action. If it binds up along the way I'm betting that is your problem.

Our deer season is in full swing and I’m hoping to shoot it without anything on barrel this weekend. I have tested the barrel and stock. Can slide dollar all the way down so no problem there. The stock is what came on the gun from browning.

Last edited:
Can you do that with the muzzle brake and suppressor on it.

A friend of mine showed up at the range today and was talking about those issues with a McMillan stock and Bipod.

Well I bought some Federal matchking shells and shot the gun without the suppressor but with tomb brake on. The gun grouped 1.5”. So I shot with the suppressor on three times and hit paper once. Got to looking at suppressor and I had a 6.5 suppressor on a 308 gun. Is that not the dummest thing you can do. And I get the privilege of telling you guys I did it. I thought I knew what suppressor I had but it says plain as day 6.5. I can’t see any baffle strikes or damage of any kind to it. So now I will find my 308 suppressor and see how it groups.

I’m going call manufacturer and tell them what I have done. Without seeing any damage did I ruin this suppressor?

Last edited:
Wow!! I'm surprised on so many levels but kudos to you on manning up to a MAJOR mistake on your part. Your not the only one who's had a moment as I know I have!

As for the damage to the can, who knows, there may be structural damage internally that you can't see but for someone to fire multiple rounds through a can like you did, I'd sure like to know what brand it is because its VERY WELL built!!! Lots of cans it only takes one baffle strike and ugly things happen!

Originally Posted By: Kino MWow!! I'm surprised on so many levels but kudos to you on manning up to a MAJOR mistake on your part. Your not the only one who's had a moment as I know I have!

As for the damage to the can, who knows, there may be structural damage internally that you can't see but for someone to fire multiple rounds through a can like you did, I'd sure like to know what brand it is because its VERY WELL built!!! Lots of cans it only takes one baffle strike and ugly things happen!

SAS giveaway was the qd mount TOMB

So the "suppressor" place had the rifle and the wrong can for 10 months and said everything was fine? Only accuracy issue I have had with my direct thread(2), was using a thread(custom S.S.) adapter between muzzle thread and suppressor threads to save time moving can between two different size threaded barrels. Will not do that again.

At least you figured out what the problem was. It is good you didn't get hurt. I was really confused why your groups opened up so much.

Back