Coyote Max. Range 22 Cal AR Cartridges

sscoyote

...so very generally speaking how far out would you guys shoot a coyote with your particular 22 cal setups guys? Details please.

22-204ai 8 twist running 53 hp's @ 3550. Longest coyote so far 250. I tell myself 300-350 max. Past there can't id for sure with my thermal.

My longest here in Wisconsin was at night with snow on the ground shooting my tac-20 with IR-Hunter 35 thermal scope was 275 yards with a 40 grain hornady v-max.

I sight mine in for zero at 200yds and will shoot out to 300 yds using cross sticks and holding on the top of the shoulders. 60g V-max

Last edited:
As far as I can put the first shot in the kill area of a coyote from cross sticks, usually out to 300 yards as I can hold on fur to there.

20 Practical AR and bolt 2-12x42
22-204
22-250
5.6x50R Mag
22 Sav. Highpower

Somewhat less

223 AR 1.5-6x42 scope
222 Rem

Last edited:
interesting thanks guys. TJ have you ever thought to try a VLD magazine with that cartridge and heavier bullets. Sounds like a perfect setup for it.

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteinteresting thanks guys. TJ have you ever thought to try a VLD magazine with that cartridge and heavier bullets. Sounds like a perfect setup for it.

I don't have one of those... I just windowed a asc mag. With my reamer the 53gr Hornady hits lands @ 2.340" and shoot great .025" off.

I just chambered this one this fall, so I'm still testing other loads. So far I haven't had coyote take one step after using the 53's at 3550.

Last edited:
Have since changed setups but my furthest was 364 yards. 18" 22 Nosler factory 55 grain Varmagedon ammo. Pulsar XP 50 LRF off a tripod. Dropped immediately but it was a perfect shot. Missed several closer and a few further (I'd rather be lucky than good)!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sscoyote...so very generally speaking how far out would you guys shoot a coyote with your particular 22 cal setups guys? Details please.

I love 22cal stuff but if your wanting to truly go long, jump to 6mm and don't look back. People have came up with some great options to maximize 22s but they will never be a 243!!

I shoot 55's out of a 16 inch suppressed AR at 3000fps.

Generally speaking, 200 yards or so is what i am comfortable with.

Where i live, that is long shot across a pasture. If i lived in the great wide open, i would use a 22-250

My 18" suppressed 223 with 50 gr SX I limit shots to 200 yards. No hesitation 400+ yards with 22-250 55 gr NBT, prone with bipod. Need a good range reading for the 300+ shots. Use a Kestral/phone for wind. I have shot coyote 300+ with 20p and 40gr NBT, probably my favorite 250yard and under AR fun on day raccoons also.

I routinely kill coyotes at 300 yards. I have killed several over 500 and 1 over 600.
223 55gr vmax.
farthest kill with 17-223 350 yards

16” 223 55 grain hand loaded dogtowns -400 yards daytime
New 10.5 inch pistol build. Only two kills so far. 215 bang flop same ammo
And 326 but had to walk up and finish him off both thermal kills
224 Valkyrie several kills but all 200 and in. 60 grain nosler 60 grain v max and 78 grain Barnes. All thermal kills Coyote hammer

300yds if you have a pretty solid rest is doable maybe more if known yardage, but the ft lbs is getting down there past 300-350 esp. with 50-55's. 75-77gr bthp have almost twice as much snot and with the-
high BC shoot pretty flat.

My coyote rifle is a 22-243, 1-8 twist barrel, 26” long, shooting 75g amaxes at 3500. It will hit them way out there. Very accurate rifle. Don’t think this barrel during load development shot less with any load then 3/4” many were under 1/2”.

300 yards is about as far as I feel confident enough to be able to kill a coyote consistently with the .223, 400 yards with the 22-250. Yesterday I shot a mangy one with the .223 and he dropped on the spot. Can't say how far it was exactly but I held about 6" over his head and it looked like the impact of the bullet was upper chest or neck. That's about as far as I feel confident I guess because I don't normally shoot over 200 yards if I don't have to. I'm not a good long range shooter.

I forgot to add I went to investigate the next day and I was wrong. I thought I hit the coyote in the upper chest or neck. I almost missed that coyote. I had hit it directly in the right eye. It sure made a heck of a "thwack" when that bullet hit. Sounded like a solid hit to the body.

I got extremely lucky. Had I aimed a touch higher I wouldn't have hit anything but dirt. Skill had nothing to do with that one admittedly. Almost shot over that coyote. Had there have been any wind whatsoever it would still be alive.

Last edited:
Tikka 22-250 compact model, hand loads, 300yds. is where I stop, I have killed out that far but missed more at that distance than any. When hunting in Missouri my shots are generally closer, 50yds. out to 250 yds. give er take. Always shooting off my stick. I like to let them come in close, close as possible, love that adrenalin rush when I see the guard hair standing up!! I am pretty much on 10x with my optics in the open, 4x in the timber...
[ I will use my 1967 Remington Varmint 22-250 every now and thin, smooth]

Longest at night so far with 223/ 69gr Nosler Cust Comp bullet, Armasight Nemesis has been about 200. Would not hesitate much going out to 300, based on my 200 yd groups & the crosshairs very clear on that scope. I have since switched to the Sierra 69 TMK.

im very comfortable taking a 200 yd shot. if i had a comfortable stable rest i could stretch 300 without much issue.

id wnat to step it up out past 300 to a heavier caliber - and preferably one that does well with long for caliber high bc bullets
smile.gif

i just dont have the confidence to start bucking the wind with my 223 out that far

Back