Scammers

pyscodog

My day started out great but went south real quick. Shortly after lunch, my sister called me, very unusual for her to call, and asked if I had talked to my son lately. I told her not for a few days anyway. She said she got a call but didn't recognize the voice so she ask who she was talking to. He replied your nephew. He said he was in jail needing bail money. Of course, don't tell Dad, he'll get mad. He said he had a car wreck and was OK but the lady he hit was pregnant and was in the hospital. He said his bail was $82,000.00. He wanted to know if she could help. She said no. Then he ask for at least half, again she said no. He ask how much she could afford and she told him $50. and he hung up on her. Between my wife and my sister, they made over 15 calls to all the police and sheriff depts in the area he was supposed to have been arrested in but couldn't find him anywhere. One sheriff said there was a scam going around very similar to what is happening to us. This evening my sister finally got my son to answer his phone and he called me and everything is good but it sure got the family very upset for several hours today. So be aware of strange calls. They are out there trying to scam you.

Last edited:
I got this phone call a couple of weeks ago:

Phone: "ring, ring..."
Me: "Hello"
Phone: "Hello, Grand dad. This is your grandson."
Me: How are you doing, Son? Where are you?"
Phone: "I am in Fargo, ND."
Me: "What in the world are you doing up there?"
Phone: "I came up here for a friends wedding and have had a little trouble."
Me: "What kind?"
Phone: "A woman ran a red light and hit my car."
Me: "Are your hurt?"
Phone: "Not bad. Just kinda bruised up."
Me: That's good. By the way, how is your sister?"
Phone: Oh, she is doing OK."
Me: Has she had her baby yet?
Phone: I don't know. I don't think so."
Me: "So, what is the trouble?"
Phone: Gramps, at the wedding I had a glass of wine. I'm in jail on suspicion of DUI."
Me: What do you need, Son?"
Phone: Bail is going to be between 3 and 5 thousand dollars."
Me: "That is quite a bit but I think I can arrange it. How can I send it to you?"
Phone: It will have to go to a bail bondsman. Here, I will give you his information"
Me: "Let me give you some information. I do not have a grandson."
Phone: DEAD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCIt amazes me that anyone actually falls for this nonsense,

me too. but there must be enough that do to make it worth doing for the scammers. crazy.

You'd think the fbi would put a stop to all this phone scam fraud. Guess they're too busy targeting Trump supporters and their political opposition.

Originally Posted By: Foxpro.223You'd think the fbi would put a stop to all this phone scam fraud. Guess they're too busy targeting Trump supporters and their political opposition.

problem is they're usually not even in the states, using hard to trace voip's, or using ones scammed from someone else's account (thats often what the "give me your 6 digit code i just textes you" scam is about, among other things) and receiving payment in untraceable gift cards or other non refundable digital transfers (cashapp, etc).

they then bounce the funds if cash app/paypal quickly to crypto, and then pull it via a crypto ATM.

by the time the scam is reported, there is no more $ left to be had and the scammer is onto the next one.

likewise with the apple or amazon gift cards.

and yea.. this kinda thing happens almost daily, usually with grandma/grandpa, or other older relatives. most retail stores know and coach their staff to stop older people who are trying to buy hundreds or thousands of dollars of amazon/apple/etc gift cards. my brother's store (he works for walmart) stops folks every few weeks like this.

its absolutely crazy how common it is.

Back