Sig 2000 rangefinder

Mike B

I bought a Sig 2000 laser rangefinder, apparently over 5 yrs ago, and I bought it thinking Sig built quality stuff, reviews on them were great, and I wanted a decent unit for archery and rifle. Fast forward to this year, and I pull it out for archery season, and the display when I look thru it is very dim. Thought maybe the battery was shot as it is the original, but I doubt I've shot a hundred distances with it, maybe no more than 50? So I get a new battery, and I now have no display at all. I call Sig after looking at the manual and seeing theres an unlimited lifetime warranty. Sig rep says the warranty is only on the non-electrical parts, and he's pretty sure its an electrical problem. I thought maybe I turned the dimmer settings down unknowingly, maybe? He doesnt think so, and doesnt offer a way to try it out. I dont see a way to do so via the manual, and am currently researching the subject via the www. He wants me to send it in, and if they find it to be the electronics, they'll offer me a demo 1800 unit for just under $200 as a peace offering. They've already sent me a shipping label to send it in.

Anybody have any history on these units and Sig warranties in general? There's a part of me that quite p****d that a unit I paid hundreds for and is not used much, in a competitive market, from a supposed quality company covers things this way. Then again, maybe I'm too old fashioned and wanting too much from my stuff?

I had that exact model and had it quit on me. (I think they had a bad batch of these) Mine worked great for a few months and then stopped ranging. (display worked fine, but it couldn't range my house from 100 yards) I can't remember if I called them or just did something online, but they had me send it in. They checked it out and sent me the 2200 model at no charge, which has worked great ever since. (happened in 2017)

Last edited:
My sig 2000 didn’t quit but all of a sudden wouldn’t pick up anything last 300-400 so they had me send it in. They tested it found nothing wrong sent it back to me saying it was fine. Of coarse it still didn’t work. I just ordered a Leica bamb im happy.

The display illumination is adjustable and I have had to "reset" my 2000 a couple times, once after a new battery. The others after below zero weather use(my only complaint about the Sig) 6 degrees above and lower poor distance reads.

Thanx so far, guys. Spotstalkshoot - do you recall how you "reset" the thing? I was thinking along the same lines, but didnt see anything in the manual on how to do something with it, when I dont have any readout to go by to start with? If I cant get it to do anything, I'll prob send it in to them just to have them look at it, which will prob lead to "it's dead, want a new one at half price?".......seems in researching the net that a bunch of others have had the same issue, and mostly with the 2000 model it seems. Have a guy on another site saying he bought an $80 Simmons thats been beaten, dropped etc and works fine!!! I had hoped I had years out of a "quality" purchase with this one as I now want to use it for work some too.

I had the same thing happen about 6moths ago. And all you have to do is change your brightness setting. I had to go into a dark room so I could see the display and then followed the directions in the manual to reprogram the brightness. It took me a little while tp get it back where I could see it in day light. It is on page 20 or so of the manual. Hope that helps

Well, after some online research, reading the manual a couple times, and trying this and that, I'm sending it in to Sig for a check-up. Tried messing around settings and buttons, and cant get any readout to show at all. I'm gonna send it in and see what they say. So far, it really sours me on Sig Optics. Thanx for the input, guys! I'll try to report back when I find out what's up.

Mine did that not long after I bought it several years ago. Adjusting did no good. Sent it back in and they sent me a new one. I have not had any issues since then.

This is perfect. I was thinking about a range finder and the Sig Kilo 1000 had great reviews. Not a very high tech instrument but would have met my needs. After reading all these problems looks like I'll go in a different direction. Thanks guys.

I have a Sig 2K and it has never missed a beat. I took it to South Dakota for a p-dog hunt and it ranged everything I pointed it at. The prior hunt, I had a Leica 1200 Rangemaster and it wouldn't range anything.

I've been happy with the Sig. I believe if you get a good one, you'll be happy with it.

I see this thread is a month old but I had the sig 2000 and after a few years it wouldn’t range past 300 or so. Sometimes not even that far. Called sig and the guy said it was probably the diopter went bad. He sent me a prepaid shipping label to send it in. They shipped back a brand new 2200BDX model. Since they don’t make the 2000 anymore I guess. So for me it was a great customer service experience. Something went wrong and it was fully taken care of. And when I sent it in until I got it back was 6 days. The turnaround time was also great. I’m sorry you didn’t have a good experience.

Last edited:
Back