.22 Hornet K & AA 5744

Sgt_Mike

Wound up with a K hornet was looking at Accurate site on Reload data Noticed they listed AA 5744 with 40gr Pills (8.7 to 9.8gr range) what is everyones experiance with this powder?

reason for asking is I have little over a half pound left over from a eariler try that 5744 did work too well for

22K-Hornet.jpg

Last edited:
Due to the Powders not being stocked and available I Picked up 3 pounds of Accurate 11FS for the K. I'll post results in a differant thread and let this one die.
If what I was told was correct it should work well maybe not as well as Lilgun.

Last edited:
I’ve recently took a deep dive into the 22 Hornet & ‘K’ Hornet. I 1st bought a gun on consignment, Model 70 in 22 Hornet, said the tag. I took the rifle home then started ordering reloading supplies. While they were enroute, I bought 25 factory rounds at a local shop.

I tested the rife, low & behold it has the ‘K’ chamber, rather surprised. I’ve read all about it, can live with it. Since I have a bunch of regular Hornet brass coming, I’ll set up to load regular, then the K after it’s fired, sorta two different cartridges.

I have an assortment of slow handgun powders, then faster rifle powders, Win-296, 2400, Enforcer, IMR-4227, then AA 1680. The 4227 is the oldest, I think I’ll just start with that. The Lee #1 manual has many older powders listed, the latest Sierra manual, or free app list modern data with the K Hornet.

The gun dates to 1937, 4 digit SN. That also supposedly means a 1/16 twist with a little tighter barrel, for that reason I’m wanting to try lighter, .223” bullets instead of .224” bullets. I can load the .224, but will try .223” when able.

The price was more in the shooter realm than collector, since it also has a braised or soldered on front scope base.

5744 powder seems very versatile for many lower pressure rifle rounds. I see it listed a lot, never used it myself. In these times, what’s available or in hand is a biggie.

One plus side of a Hornet is powder usage. It doesn't take much. Then there is the fun factor. Can't beat the Hornet for fun. No recoil and pretty accurate as well. My Ruger 77 got K'ed before it had 50 rounds through it. Best decision I made with the rifle. I hate loading the standard Hornet with the skinny little necks. Mine seems to like LilGun or 296.

I read some about the skinny necks on the Hornet, haven’t crushed one neck yet. I give the mouth a very slight ‘bell’ so it will accept the bullet. I use that Lee universal belling type die.

I looked in Ramsot Handloading Guide and there are 40gr. loads listed for the 22 Hornet. They seem to be .22 Mag. velocity.

My “K” is a rechambered Contender pistol barrel. It likes Lil Gun.

As was posted above it’s a good idea to slightly bell your case mouthed prior to seating jacketed bullets. The rim of the neck is very thin indeed!

GO 22K Hornets!

Three44s

Back