Cougar Calling this year

I've been noticing that the call in story page is getting quite LONG!

One thing I've found that you can do to consume it is to have your computer or device read it to you. That way you can reload, or drive or whatever.

You have to kinda focus to get much out of the robot voice, but it does work.

For the computer, for instance, you go to the page, click where you want to start, and then right click, and then click "Read Aloud" or press Control and Shift and U at the same time.

Just a little life hack!

Here's a cool youtube video of a female cougar caterwaul calling for a mate. This sound is very close to the TT Caterwaul call on my ICOtec call that got a cougar to run down the hill and stand over my call at the 40 minute mark of my stand. I had used many Rainshadow vocals previous to the caterwaul which likely brought it in but the mating call seemed to set off the territorial instincts of the 100 pound female and she charged down the hill. It is interesting to now hear this same sound from a cat on trail cam that successfully calls in a mate.

Here's a 2nd video from the same camera. Both videos also show the male creating a couple of scrapes.

Originally Posted By: coachteeterHere's a cool youtube video of a female cougar caterwaul calling for a mate. This sound is very close to the TT Caterwaul call on my ICOtec call that got a cougar to run down the hill and stand over my call at the 40 minute mark of my stand. I had used many Rainshadow vocals previous to the caterwaul which likely brought it in but the mating call seemed to set off the territorial instincts of the 100 pound female and she charged down the hill. It is interesting to now hear this same sound from a cat on trail cam that successfully calls in a mate.

Here's a 2nd video from the same camera. Both videos also show the male creating a couple of scrapes.

Great captures! Wish I had a herd of cameras!

I almost died today tracking a cat. Didnt realize underneath the couple inches of snow i was walking on was a solid slick sheet of ice. Like a skating rink under a couple inches of fresh powder. Fell on my face and went sliding backward downhill toward a sheer cliff, somehow stopped like 2 ft before i would have launched over and died when i hit the rocks below. It was like some cliche hollywood cliffhanger scene. Terrifying. I was layed out spreadeagled on this ice sheet inchworming my way away from the cliff with nothing to grab. If ida started sliding backward again id have been done. Im home now, to [beeep] with that cat. And i go out in the back yard when i get home to check cams and of course i cut cat tracks right behind my house from this morning, checked cams, she was here in the daylight. No joke i could have killed a lion from my living room window and avoided a near death experience if i had just stayed home today. Fell on hidden ice sheets 3 other times today too. One of which sent me sliding on my [beeep] into a creek. Banged up my shoulder and knee pretty good. And rushed a shot on a coyote this morning and missed. Im not going outside again today.

See if this works. Cliff that almost killed me. https://pic8.co/sh/RWlQ1U.jpg
RWlQ1U.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you are OK, Slagiatt!!! Might be time to fill your tag from home...at least until the next good fresh snow calls you back to the mountains. (-;

Originally Posted By: coachteeterGlad you are OK, Slagiatt!!! Might be time to fill your tag from home...at least until the next good fresh snow calls you back to the mountains. (-;

No fresh snow coming. Been a crap year. 40 days without a vehicle, by the time i got a new truck it was all loud crunchy snow and inaccessible woods. Cant even pull off the pavement most places i want to hunt. But [beeep], cant win em all. Im about gassed out now, just want spring to come, hopefully draw a bear permit. Ive been slacking on getting back to your email. Ill holler at ya in a couple days here.

Wanted to let you guys know that I have my website back in business.

If you had a Cougar Call In Story that I haven't posted yet, please let me know. I have them, and I'm planning to update soon. But things are a mess, and a reminder is always handy!

I'll be working on adding the old pics back in and making it more readable and easy to see (don't forget the 'read it to me" right click function.) But meanwhile, It's alive!

If you haven't sent me your story, please think about doing that. I'd love to post your latest encounter with the big cats!

I keep telling it to have the same link, but it keeps refusing...
If I can't get it to change, here's the link it's creating...

http://www.rain-shadow.com/cougar-call-in-stories.html

Im likely going to skip deer and elk this year and go straight to lion calling when i get home. With the exception of august, which i took off to hunt bears, ive been out at sea basically non stop since mid april, and wont be home until around thanksgiving, late archery time. Being as how i havent been able to practice with my bow all year i dont feel i have any business bow hunting. So straight to lion hunting. Word is, our whitetail are experiencing a massive die off from blue tongue. Tells me the cats are going to be really hungry. Might be extra responsive to calling. Ill be out doing my lost fawn routine as soon as im home and have snow on the ground.

Originally Posted By: SlagiattIm likely going to skip deer and elk this year and go straight to lion calling when i get home. With the exception of august, which i took off to hunt bears, ive been out at sea basically non stop since mid april, and wont be home until around thanksgiving, late archery time. Being as how i havent been able to practice with my bow all year i dont feel i have any business bow hunting. So straight to lion hunting. Word is, our whitetail are experiencing a massive die off from blue tongue. Tells me the cats are going to be really hungry. Might be extra responsive to calling. Ill be out doing my lost fawn routine as soon as im home and have snow on the ground.

Anything that lowers prey density will increase the predator activity... for awhile. Until the die-off creates starvation conditions for the predators. Then THEY'LL die off. Then the prey will come back. Then the predators... Look at the microcosm of Vancouver Island after the insurgence of clearcutting. Deer went nuts... Cougars and Wolves went nuts. Deer went way down. Predators got REALLY aggressive.... It's a wild and uncontrolled cycle that COULD be managed if the bios were run by real people instead of the MORONS who are regulating Washington to manage as if humans don't exist. Fools.

Speaking of aggressive predators, I'm hearing lots of stories of Archery and Muzzleloader hunters taking Lions on the happenstance... If you guys are one of those, or hear of them, I'd sure like to get a paragraph and a pic!

I dont know how well id expect the whitetail to bouce back around here though. We have so many bears and coyotes which prey on fawns, but dont exactly depend on them as they take advantage of so many other food sources. Even with a major die off of whitetail, i dont see bear and yote numbers dropping a bit, so all those fawn eaters will still be on the landscape hindering a quick rebound. And the wolves are plenty capable of making a living off of elk and moose, as long as they last. Not to mention our crappy management of deer. Allowing an "any buck" hunt during the rut, with rifles, and baiting... its shooting fish in a barrel.
Im not optimistic about our long term prospects.

Originally Posted By: SlagiattI dont know how well id expect the whitetail to bouce back around here though. We have so many bears and coyotes which prey on fawns, but dont exactly depend on them as they take advantage of so many other food sources. Even with a major die off of whitetail, i dont see bear and yote numbers dropping a bit, so all those fawn eaters will still be on the landscape hindering a quick rebound. And the wolves are plenty capable of making a living off of elk and moose, as long as they last. Not to mention our crappy management of deer. Allowing an "any buck" hunt during the rut, with rifles, and baiting... its shooting fish in a barrel.
Im not optimistic about our long term prospects.

Unfortunately, I agree with you. WDFW saw the two East corners as unspoiled, so they rushed right in to get the job done (like they have in the rest of the State.)

Back