Perfect thermal yote rifle

42769vette

Sponsor
I got into hunting with thermal's last year. I put one on a bolt action 243, and adapted it to an arca rail so it would go on my tripod, to get me going.

Im going to stick with it, so I want to get away from bolt action. In March I ordered a 243 upper from Dtech to build an AR-10 for the job. I was told 12 weeks, which put me in plenty of time for hunting this year. Then as most know barrel manufactor's changed their lead time, and my build got delayed (no fault of Dtech). Im still keeping my order, but do not have faith it will be here for this hunting season.

Now I'm looking for option's. I want semi auto, and prefer a 243 (6mm creed is not out of the question). I passed on a F4 in 243 a few months ago because I already had the Dtech ordered and was close to the 12 week ETA (really screwed the pooch on that one).

What on the market am I missing (that can be bought in a hurry)? All I really care about is 350ish yds of MPBR, easily adapted to arca rail, semi auto.

Its to bad I cant find a 243/6 creed conversion for my SCAR 17

Last edited:
Have you ever thought about the 6mm ARC? They're AR15 based and considerably lighter and should be plenty lethal to those distances.

Originally Posted By: B23Have you ever thought about the 6mm ARC? They're AR15 based and considerably lighter and should be plenty lethal to those distances.

Ive thought very hard about the ARC. If I dont come up with something diffrent soon, thats my backup plan.

Originally Posted By: AWSI believe you can get uppers for the 243 WSSM that fit an AR 15.

Finding brass for that is a little hard for my liking. The caliber itself would be perfect for my use.

Originally Posted By: 42769vetteOriginally Posted By: AWSI believe you can get uppers for the 243 WSSM that fit an AR 15.

Finding brass for that is a little hard for my liking. The caliber itself would be perfect for my use.

Yeah it's hit and miss. The caliber is making a mild comeback, the rifles go for good money on GB. Grafs has brass fwiw. And I have a 243 wssm upper from Dtech and it's a laser. Jard also makes uppers and from what they said, they supply the bolts and uppers to Dtech now. But reviews on their built uppers isn't good so I avoided that.

Having said all that, look for a DPMS G2 in 243. I snagged one of the last ones on Buds, in Feb it will be 2 years ago, and that thing is a real tack driver. It gives up a bit of speed to the wssm but not bad. If you can find one, that would be my choice for what you want. GB does not have any at the moment but they do from time to time. If you're not familiar with the G2 it is a medium frame rifle with a much lighter bcg than the normal 308 size.

A negative on the G2 is there are really no parts out there now for it. They have a round cf float tube so you'd have to figure out how to use it with your tripod. It's just a tough situation finding anything right now.

Originally Posted By: B23Have you ever thought about the 6mm ARC? They're AR15 based and considerably lighter and should be plenty lethal to those distances.

The ARC is throated for long, heavy high BC bullets so it would have a mile of jump on the light varmint bullets. I looked long and hard at the ARC but ended up going a different route (6x6.8) that didn't pan out well.

If I had to do it again I'd build a 243 thats specifically throated for light bullets.

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: B23Have you ever thought about the 6mm ARC? They're AR15 based and considerably lighter and should be plenty lethal to those distances.

The ARC is throated for long, heavy high BC bullets so it would have a mile of jump on the light varmint bullets. I looked long and hard at the ARC but ended up going a different route (6x6.8) that didn't pan out well.

If I had to do it again I'd build a 243 thats specifically throated for light bullets.

Oh I imagine they are, what factory anything isn't long throated anymore, but if handloading and using less seating depth sensitive bullets, like Nosler Ballistic tips, I'd imagine at the OP's distances you could come up with something that was coyote worthy.

The idea of packing around a heavy AR10 based build with another 1.5lb thermal on it just doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me, unless, I was riding around in a SxS then I probably wouldn't care.

You could just as easily build a 6mm ARC that was throated for lighter bullets as you could a 243 that was throated for lighter bullets.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much more an AR10 weighs vs the AR15 if everything other than the receiver is the same?? Maybe 8-10oz??

I know for my style of thermal/night hunting, rarely am I very far of a walk from the truck so packing the extra weight isn't terrible and for the gain in horsepower I am going to build one next year. The killing power of the 243 is awesome to watch, no spinners or runners!!

I ran bolt guns in the daytime and I run a custom 243, 7.5tw Brux with 105s and it absolutely is like lightning hitting them, terrible for fur though!

I couldn't care less about weight. I do backpack hunting, so I'm in decent shape (not perfect), and I rarely hunt over 200 yards from a vehicle, and never over 1/4 mile.

Best I can come up with is, the 6 ARC is my best short term fix. I have no doubt I will eventually get my 243 upper from Dtech, and at that point, the ARC can become my backup rifle. Right now, a plain jane AR is host to my backup thermal.

Originally Posted By: B23My Seekins SP10 weighs 10.5 less optic my Seekins SP15 is 7 lbs less optic.

My hunting buddy just got a new proof 22" in 243, I had him weigh it yesterday 8lb 5oz, bare rifle with empty mag. Thats pretty light for an AR10 and 22" barrel.

Originally Posted By: 42769vetteI couldn't care less about weight. I do backpack hunting, so I'm in decent shape (not perfect), and I rarely hunt over 200 yards from a vehicle, and never over 1/4 mile.

Best I can come up with is, the 6 ARC is my best short term fix. I have no doubt I will eventually get my 243 upper from Dtech, and at that point, the ARC can become my backup rifle. Right now, a plain jane AR is host to my backup thermal.

The ARC is definitely a great option.

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: B23My Seekins SP10 weighs 10.5 less optic my Seekins SP15 is 7 lbs less optic.

My hunting buddy just got a new proof 22" in 243, I had him weigh it yesterday 8lb 5oz, bare rifle with empty mag. Thats pretty light for an AR10 and 22" barrel.

Did he happen to find it in stock somewhere, or was it an old backorder that was filled.

Barrel is the hiccup on my 243 build.

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: B23My Seekins SP10 weighs 10.5 less optic my Seekins SP15 is 7 lbs less optic.

That's the same barrel I put on my SP10 except mine is chambered in 6.5CM. My Seekins SP10 started life as a 308 but I bought a 22in Proof CF barrel and switched it over to a 6.5 Creed. The Proof CF barrel I put on mine was actually heavier than the factory 308 all steel barrel.

Originally Posted By: 42769vetteOriginally Posted By: Kino M
B23 said:
My Seekins SP10 weighs 10.5 less optic my Seekins SP15 is 7 lbs less optic.

Did he happen to find it in stock somewhere, or was it an old backorder that was filled.

Not really sure where he got it but he ordered it in January and got it in late August.

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: 42769vetteOriginally Posted By: Kino M
B23 said:
My Seekins SP10 weighs 10.5 less optic my Seekins SP15 is 7 lbs less optic.

Not really sure where he got it but he ordered it in January and got it in late August.

That's what I figured. I appreciate your assistance.

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: B23Have you ever thought about the 6mm ARC? They're AR15 based and considerably lighter and should be plenty lethal to those distances.

I'm shooting a 6mm ARC with 65 gr V-Max, outshoots all my factory and handloaded heavies by a big margin

Back