Baiting

Way to go 6!! You are getting a great start to this season. I guess it is time for me to get rolling. Kind of waiting for it to cool down a bit...
Ooohhhh, tis the season! I'm ready.

That cabin has evolved since I was there Dave. Always was a bit of home away from home but you as usual go the extra mile to do the job to perfection. Hope the season goes well for you. Either way you'll be comfortable.

Dave, thanks. Yes, the cabin has evolved since you were here. I was just getting started then. It’s been trial and error, a lot of experimenting etc. to get to where it is today. We enjoyed having you visit. You and I had some great western hunts too. Hoping you can visit again at some point in the future. The only problem is that I have to get used to that Aussie accent all over again. Ha ha.

Ooooooohhhhhh Boy!!!!!
Stay tuned...
smile.gif
smile.gif

Therm1 (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr
Therm1 (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Should be fun. Preliminary piddleing around with it, I'm very impressed with it at 170 yds. I don't have it mounted yet, but was testing detection and identification with it around the ranch here. A possum at 170 seemed no problem, so that's a plus. I could see mice running in the trees at 100 yds. Burn, I believe you have the super Hogster. For all intense and purposes, this is the same without the record function and your base mag is 2.9 vs my 2.0. So, in a nutshell, for my hunt areas and application, I went with the R35 for price point and may add a DVR later. Will keep you posted. Starting to taunt the vermin in the area now, with a beaver carcuss.
As far as my bait site, my Digisight NV is phenominal! This unit is hopefully gonna see some field time, and of course be tested extensively on the bait as well. All great fun!!

Excellent BP. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds NV wise. That's the way I work it. Plus I have an extra gun in case someone wants to tag along that has no NV equipment. I do have the SH and base mag is a little more than I need but I like the internal recording, although its a push and wait button for the video function to start. Takes about 2-3 seconds for it to work, and that's a looong time around here sometimes once a yote comes in. The RAV on my 4K is very handy.

These coyotes are about 2.5 hours away from where we are building the new house. Hard to bait when you can only get there occasionally. They are tough to call, even at night. So much work, so little time.

JAKO6HL.jpg

Great picture Week. A force of 3 (or more) together is something to see.

I've had a group of 3 show up a time or two behind the house and they get pretty gutsy as they are something to reckon with. A good dose of 556/223 medicine takes them down a few notches

BP - how's it going with the new Hogster?

Beautiful picture there Week!
Burn,
So far so good. It's mounted up, zeroed, and been hunting. First set, my buddy dumped one in his area of scan. I did not produce anything that night. Been watching some small vermin at the bait site, and all looks good at this point. I'm having some bumps in the road as far as POI when zoomed in. The manual specifically states to zero on 1x(base mag). If I zoom, my POI shifts bad. So, my thinking is that there is a reason they want you to zero at 1x. Hmmmmmm? I have an email in to Bering with no response yet. I did have some correspondence with Kirsch on this site which put me at ease a bit. The zoomed image does get quite pixilated anyway, so base mag does work just fine. I did test base mag at about 130 yds with PIP and using PIP, which was a center punch. So, I'm confident that this scope will be productive out to 200 yds. Having said all this, I do scan on base mag for FOV advantage, so with PIP, 200 yds and in, I'm pretty much golden. Which, at the end of the day, 200 yds is quite a poke in the middle of the night. I'm happy with it to this point with limited time on it. No regrets. The Super Hogster ups the game a bit, but the R35, at its price point, is a great starter. I also think that the R35 really is a 200 yd and in scope, which is perfect for my area. No regrets at all. Very nice scope.
More to come as we progress into the season further and I get more time on it. On Nov 7, our fur bearer season opens, so will get some real world data on possum and coon sized targets at 170 yds. If all pans out with that, I'm thinking coyotes at that distance should be very successful. Stay tuned.

BP, I definitely like to hear more about the POI shift on zoom please.

I am having a lot of activity, it's just hard to get there to take care of biz.

CDxXwSE.jpg

SML5dBV.jpg

also having a good amount of "bait" showing up.

smYIs0M.jpg

CSM3MjS.jpg

Week, nice photos. Those three coyotes are exciting to see. I had three come one time, and doubles a few times over the years. As for now, it’s been 13 days since I killed that last one, and none has been at the bait since. I do have a pesky red fox that is a nightly bait thief.

Beautiful pics Week!! You are in the money if you can get there to hunt. That's great.
As far as my POI shift, it seems that zooming up to 2x, 3x, 4x changes the POI. In testing it on my range, I zeroed at 100 yds. I then went to 200 yds to check my drops. At 200, I zoomed to 3x or 4x and the shot landed about 4"+ to the right. A second shot, same spot. I then went back to base mag, and the shot was dead center. I did a test at about 130 yds on base mag and used the PIP to shoot. That seemed to be okay. I have lots of testing to do and experience to gain yet, so no definitive conclusions at this point. Ammo and components at this point makes that a bit harder, but we'll see how it plays out. No regrets on the scope at all, very nice piece of equipment.

Hope you get time to get after 'em Week. That looks very promising

BP - let us know how it works out and if you figure that one out. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the scope base and being slightly off center of the centerline of the bore? Dont recall what your rifle setup is though. If you can check on a different rifle it might answer the question. Just thinking...

Meanwhile, got out with my SH last night. Young trick-or-treat male came to visit. Had my SIL with me and wanted him to get this one but he was a little late on the shot. I waited as long as I could but once they stop and look at me I send one...

Light rain and 99% humidity. 223 60gr VMAX center punch - probably 45-55 yards. He went down but got back up. Had to put another one in him to finish it.

Part 1

Part 2

Then the checkout crew showed up

EDoE7a2.jpg

Back