Tough season for some

pyscodog

I was working at the club today when a member showed up to sight in for an up coming Elk hunt. His rifle was a 30-06 and he said he was real low on ammo. I made a call and located some but when I called the member tonite he said he thought he was good. He shot two rounds at 200 and three at 300 and had the rest of the box for the hunt. I know it(should)only take one shot if well placed but I'd hate to drive all the way to Colorado with 15 rounds of ammo. Just me and my thinking. I bet there are some that are in worse shape than he is and the gougers are loving it.

People should have learned from Sandy Hook, younger people should learn from this current situation.

Thankfully the dems are too busy with the border, Afghanistan, budgets and the rest of the $hit show they are creating so they haven't been beating the gun ban drums much lately.

If you are diligent, you can find commodity ammo like .30-06. I agree with you Psyco, no way am I driving to CO with 15 rounds. All it would take is a bad fall and there goes some of it if the gun is off. I don't understand why people wait until the last minute to source items needed.

Old saying...Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. No way I would go without back up ammo and a back up rifle to. But it would probably be a once in a lifetime hunt for me as well.

Do not think his definition of low on ammo means the same to him as it does to me.You found him some and he passed so if he runs dry on ammo in the future like deer seasons in the near future oh well.

He's a goober that isn't trying very hard to better his situation. Sometimes stupid hurts and if he gets burned by this, maybe... maybe he will learn to be better prepared. But then goobers tend to be goobers, so heck with him.

I went on an antelope hunt with 3 rounds once, of course I had some non-big game rounds along as well. Came home with 2 rounds, like usual.
I wouldn't have an issue taking 15 rounds on a hunt, but if that is all I had, I'd probably want to buy some for the next time.

While I realize it only takes one shot if it goes where its suppose to. But driving from Okla to Co and the way ammo is today, if a guy had some for sale and I could use it, I think I would buy a box or two. Not like it will spoil.

He should use five of those remaining rounds to confirm scope
center once he gets there, then go hunting, bring back meat and
nine rounds.

Two signature lines I've seen over the years make a lot of sense
"The only shot that counts is the first. The rest are just
noise."
"One shot, one kill."

Most of us muzzle loading hunters are quite satisfied with
three loads when we go out.

I watched a video on a bear hunt. It was a possible new record bear (at the time of the video), and it took 4 rounds to kill the bear. The first two shots seemed to not even faze the bear. The bear walked quite a ways before he got a 3rd and 4th shot in him. Hope for the best but expect the worst. You can't have to much ammo.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI watched a video on a bear hunt. It was a possible new record bear (at the time of the video), and it took 4 rounds to kill the bear. The first two shots seemed to not even faze the bear. The bear walked quite a ways before he got a 3rd and 4th shot in him. Hope for the best but expect the worst. You can't have to much ammo.

Speaking of bear stories, we have some huge bear in the area I live in where 500 plus pound bear are common. I know of a young fellow who shot a bear 12 times with a 30-06 before he killed it. That bear was something like 740 pounds. I don't know if the bear was that tough or if it was just poor shooting.

I’m not certain I have taken more than 15 rounds on my last few out of state hunts, intentionally. 3-5 to confirm zero upon arrival and a couple to verify trajectory congruence at 600yrds, then the balance of 8-10 to do the job. If 10 don’t get it done, then I don’t deserve to do it.

Reminds me of a customer I was speaking with, years ago. He had a mountain goat tag and went hunting with 6 rounds.

He and his buddy spot a goat, and he shoots, missing. His buddy is calling the shots, and the 5th shot hits the goat, but doesn't kill it. Shot #6 misses. Out of ammo, they discuss what to do. Plan A was to keep tabs on the goat until it dies. A few hours go by, and the goat is still alive, and it's getting dark.

So, Plan B: this is a classic "hold my beer, watch this" plan. With the very sick goat laying just a few feet away, on a very steep and narrow trail, the plan is for the tagholder to get above the goat and the buddy to get behind the goat. At the count of 3, buddy will grab the hind legs and tag holder will grab a horn and stick it with a knife. After all, this goat is very weak and sick, right?

Tagholder starts stabbing the goat and the goat is head-butting tagholder. Eventually, goat dies.

While the guys are catching their breath, the buddy notices the bloodstain on tagholder is spreading, so he opens his shirt and finds several holes in his chest from the goat, including one deep under his collar bone and one deep into his wrist. Tagholder told me if the horn had gone above the collarbone, it likely would have ripped his throat out.

Moral of that story: it's always better to have one bullet left over, than to need one more.

Well it seems there are some that are over confident in their abilities. Myself, I figure if something bad can happen...it will. I'd rather have and not need and you know the rest! Why anyone would not take extra ammo on a special hunt is just, for lack of a better choice of words, stupid.

i can think of 3 distinct times i wish i had another round in my pocket.

i cant ever think of a time where i wish i had left a round home or back in the truck.

I've been on a few big game hunts where we were packing in and hunting..... extra rounds = weight. I agree with the others, confirm zero when you arrive and carry a few extra's but I can't think of a time on a pack hunt where i carried more than 9 rounds with me total. Normally its 6, but i carried 9 that one time I was letting another hunter also use my gun and he was carrying a varmint gun. We used 2 rounds while hunting.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.Reminds me of a customer I was speaking with, years ago. He had a mountain goat tag and went hunting with 6 rounds.

He and his buddy spot a goat, and he shoots, missing. His buddy is calling the shots, and the 5th shot hits the goat, but doesn't kill it. Shot #6 misses. Out of ammo, they discuss what to do. Plan A was to keep tabs on the goat until it dies. A few hours go by, and the goat is still alive, and it's getting dark.

So, Plan B: this is a classic "hold my beer, watch this" plan. With the very sick goat laying just a few feet away, on a very steep and narrow trail, the plan is for the tagholder to get above the goat and the buddy to get behind the goat. At the count of 3, buddy will grab the hind legs and tag holder will grab a horn and stick it with a knife. After all, this goat is very weak and sick, right?

Tagholder starts stabbing the goat and the goat is head-butting tagholder. Eventually, goat dies.

While the guys are catching their breath, the buddy notices the bloodstain on tagholder is spreading, so he opens his shirt and finds several holes in his chest from the goat, including one deep under his collar bone and one deep into his wrist. Tagholder told me if the horn had gone above the collarbone, it likely would have ripped his throat out.

Moral of that story: it's always better to have one bullet left over, than to need one more.

See, sometimes stupid does hurt and goobers really are goobers. I was rooting for the goat to stab one goober and kick the other off the cliff. Mountain goats are cool.

Back