Onx or other option?

1trkyhntr

I am using a Garmin DriveTrack with my state chip in it. While it does show landowner info and a satellite view, the resolution and detail is horrible. I have seen the Onx app and it is 1000 times better. Any of you guys have experience with other apps or is Onx the best. What I want is a good satellite view of my state with landowner info and boundaries. Weather satellite would be nice too.

I use ONX.. Used scoutlook in the past along with onx but when they merged with Huntstand I could not figure it out (I am techno DUMB) and it lost all my deer stands on the farm I bowhunt in illinois.
Not that I needed them but thought that it could happen on any new properties I might set up there or here in PA.

I have onx on my computer at home to.study hunting areas but still use my chip.from Kirsh Outdoors in my hunting truck

I saw the Kirsh chips back a couple of years ago but at the time he did not offer anything for my state.
I just rechecked his site and it did not show any chips available at all.

I just tried the free version of BaseMap and the trial version of Onx. BaseMap is way better as far as resolution goes and it seemed to be easier to use. Based on that I'm leaning towards Basemap. I still have not tried HuntView but according to the videos I watched it seems to be pretty similar to BaseMap.

I believe Korey is out of the map business now, so my beloved Trax-West is becoming more and more obsolete each passing day. Luckily I upgraded to the new version just before he stopped offering it a couple years ago, so it's still pretty accurate. OnX is the big player though, and I just donated enough to the RMEF to get a free annual subscription. I will try it out soon, at least on my PC and phone. I will continue to use the Kirsch chip in my truck and handheld GPS units until it's just too outdated.

I just got the ONx app and it is very good. Lots of details and easy to use. Just used it some in NM this past Sunday and Monday.

I have used the OnXhunt map for the last 6 years.mostly for coyote hunting.it’s great for scouting at home and marking way points for new places to hunt and roads to turn on. I use it to check new hunting area I would like to hunt. I mark places I can park to hide truck.I have a IPad mounted on the dash with a GPS puck this is probably one of the best investment I have made for hunting.I have used it in Nevada mostly and California. It really helps when your looking for that road to turn on when it’s pitch black at 4 am.same with Dove hunting.

Spartan Forge
I used to use Hunt Stand, but I’ve found Spartan waaay better. I do pay for it though. The LiDAR is great.

I am using a Garmin DriveTrack with my state chip in it. While it does show landowner info and a satellite view, the resolution and detail is horrible. I have seen the Onx app and it is 1000 times better. Any of you guys have experience with other apps or is Onx the best. What I want is a good satellite view of my state with landowner info and boundaries. Weather satellite would be nice too.
I have used HuntStand going on I guess 4 years now? I’ve used it from their start. I love HuntStand. I exclusively hunt predators and keep track of all my properties with this app. I’m probably up to close to 200 parcels I can hunt on. I’d never use any other app because HuntStand does everything I need. Detailed maps, boundaries, landowner names and addresses, weather, wind direction live time. If you have any questions just ask me

I've had Gohunt for the last couple years at $50.00 per year for all 50 states.

I just bought HuntStand today, their Pro package for all 50 states is half price, $15 for a year, offer ends tomorrow:

I'm tempted to try BaseMap too, at $40 for the year for 50 states.

I used Basemap for a year, then decided to switch to OnX. Basemap is better, better offline resolution etc. OnX has 3D maps but only if you have cell reception, which I don't where I hunt. OnX offline maps are 2D just like Basemap. I currently have both, but I only use Basemap. I'm letting my OnX subscription die this month.

I have and use OnX. Here’s what I like about OnX…
I’m a diehard turkey hunter and travel every year to different states. I can sit in my recliner in Georgia during the Summer and plan a trip to, say Montana.
I pulled up possible areas I wanted to check out then dived in deeper. I was able to find public land and BLM land. I called landowners and once I’d dropped pins and made offline maps all there was to do was wait until the next turkey season.
Next April rolls around, I make the trip and spend a day scouting the places I’d pinned the last Summer. I found birds and ranked them best to least. The next morning at 0730 I had my Montana bird.
All this happened from using OnX and a little boot leather, lol.
I use OnX on all my out of State hunts and so far I’ve been successful. To me the offline maps are the ticket. Most places I go don’t have reliable cell service if any at all.

I used Basemap for a year, then decided to switch to OnX. Basemap is better, better offline resolution etc. OnX has 3D maps but only if you have cell reception, which I don't where I hunt. OnX offline maps are 2D just like Basemap. I currently have both, but I only use Basemap. I'm letting my OnX subscription die this month.
I let my Onx expire also and use Base Map. Better and cheaper. Onx satellite views were way outdated the last time I looked. They were over 3 years old every where I looked.

I use OnX. It’s the only one I have used. See no reason to try others. It does everything I want it to do. Actually it does a ton more than I need it to do but all of that stuff doesn’t interfere with the simple stuff I want it for. For me property boundaries, landowners, ability to mark locations are the important features. The line distance tool is pretty handy for estimating how far you are from wood lines, fence lines hedgerows etc.

OnX also has a compass feature. Say you’re riding around just locating coyotes one evening from the truck. You can pull up OnX and take a reading and drop a pin where you hear coyotes. I use it more for locating turkeys and it has helped a lot.

Back