Savage 219 Single Shot

So earlier this year I purchased a unique Savage 219 .22 Hornet.

keJ7pJoN_o.jpg

xkIoqP1L_o.jpg

I drilled and tapped the 22 hornet barrel for a Weaver 82 base and mounted an old Leupold 3X9 scope on it. ,

I made a new butt stock for it but haven't completely finish the finishing on it yet.

TcZzCzhU_o.jpg

Then I got the bug for a 30/30 barrel and started looking. Eventually I found one on EBay. It arrive several days ago. It almost fit the receiver, but would not lock up. The locking lever remained in the 3:30 position when closed. I had to take about .0006" to .0010" off the locking lug for it to lock up. I used a dremal tool with a sanding disk and file. I took off a little bit at a time, constantly testing for complete lock up. It took several days. In the end the lever would remain in the 6;00 position when closed. In the meantime, I purchased an old Weave #82 base for $10.00. I milled it shorter and added a new slot. Drilled additional screw holes in it and drilled and tapped the 30/30 barrel for the base. The base and scope are mounted, but the scope will be removed for test firing the gun. I will be test firing it shortly.

Last edited:
Test Firing went fine. I tied it to my 4whlr gun racks. I fired two shots from the tied position and four more offhand. Time to load more rounds.

Fo7jQflA_o.jpg

Originally Posted By: ToroThat stock you made looks great. I really like the grain. What kinda wood is that?

I believe it is a piece of Bastone walnut, Not really sure as I've had for twenty years or more in my basement. I have a matching piece to make a matching forearm.

Back