Fur Friendly .223 Rem Bullet

Scrumbag

Hi folks,

Looking for a fur friendly .223 Rem bullet. I am under instruction that some nice fox pelts are required.

I've never hunted for fur before so wondering what people recommend?

I'm tempted to try the Nosler Ballistic Tips Lead Free but not sure if they wouldn't leave a large hole.

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

I have used the nosler lead free bullets on coyotes and got along fine fur wise. I shot about 20 with them and recovered them all. The bullets seem to fragment a lot internally and I had no exits. I did have some run about 50-75 yards before tipping over. Kinda hard to find in tall grass, but that's part of it. I think they would work well on fox.

223 loaded with a 35 vmax at a modest speed is awesome on fox out at 200yds. I couldnt even find the hole until it was skinned. 40gr bullets also work very well with not much damage. Small bullets with not a ton of speed is the way to be looking from my experience

I don't know your ranges but something like a 33gr HP intended for the Hornet loaded down to Hornet velocities should work. I keep a couple like this with each of my rifles as finishers without wrecking a hide as I don't care to pack a 22 handgun also.

Load data.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/tobee2.php

Last edited:
I have been using a 20vt, 222, 223 and a 22-250. Each time I think I have it figured out I blow one in half. I shot one at 270 yds with the 22-250 40 vmax going 4300 fps and could not find the hole, the second one was the same but #3 was a mess. I thought Sierra #1365 a 55 gr gameking was the ticket until I started blowing big holes. In my 222 I am using 40 nosler bt and get some good ones and then some big holes. I am nite hunting with a thermal so shot placement isn't perfect which I am sure is a big part of the problem. I had good luck with some 50 grain varmint extreme in the 222 but am out of them for now.

I have seen about 20 coyotes shot with Hornady 35 gr NTX Lead Free bullets out of 223s and 22-250s with only one of them having fur damage and none of the coyotes ran off.

This bullet at high speeds may damage fox fur.

Last edited:
The 35gr NTX was not very fur friendly to the dozen grey foxes I shot with it from a 16" barrel. Certainly not ideal.

If I had to pick one bullet (kills super effectively and is fur friendly) for all predators, I'd pick the Barnes 45gr TSX. Excellent performance on everything I've hit foxes and coyotes.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI have had decent success with Hornady 50gr sx on raccoons and fox. Works even better on coyote. Shooting for fur so I hate sewing.

That's good to know.

Scrummy

Vmax is great! I always shot my dad's 6.8spc in 110 gr vmax and never had two holes. From what I've read 6.8 has 40-50% more power than 223. The only time we ever made a mess of things was when one got too close and the bullet shot low and skimmed his belly. I felt pretty bad that day. Second shot dropped him though, never had one run when the bullet was placed inside the rib cage. My buddy shot two raccoons broadside at 2 or 300 yards at night thinking they were coyote; one hole when we skinned them. I've always been impressed with the bullet, though I've never shot it from .223 I would assume it would have the power to stop a coyote in its tracks, pun intended.

Last edited:
Glad you posted about the 45 TSX. Haven't reloaded for rifle yet just straight wall revolver and pistol but got a .223 Montana I really like and 40 VMAX makes a mess of coyotes at least half the time. I will have to try the 45 TSX. I didn't know they made it in that weight til I saw this.

Last edited:
What jetman said....use a lighter caliber on Foxes.Last Fox I shot was with a .22 Magnum with Hornady ballistic tip....it did a great job.Im still trying to get a Coyote or Fox to come in while using my .22 Hornet...that would be another good light caliber in my opinion!

Back