How I Clean My Custom Coyote Rifle!

Good video. I don't know if I saw it...Do you ever clean your bolt lugs inside the receiver and grease them? I've found they can be dirty with grit, etc. I use the Sinclair tool with the dental cotton pack from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: HuntGood video. I don't know if I saw it...Do you ever clean your bolt lugs inside the receiver and grease them? I've found they can be dirty with grit, etc. I use the Sinclair tool with the dental cotton pack from Amazon.

Absolutely although this is just going over cleaning the bore, if enough guys comment on the video I'll be sure to do a bolt break down and through cleaning of it as well.

skinney, I’ve heard some custom rifle/barrel guys say they never clean a rifle barrel. Have you ever had a barrel you never cleaned? If so, did you notice any difference between cleaning vs not cleaning?;

I've read that a lot of people let their rimfire rifles go a long time without cleaning but not centerfire. Usually when accuracy starts dropping off they clean. I generally clean mine when I get home no matter how many rounds I fired. I can't put a rifle up dirty. Rimfires....I usually let them go longer. They always seem to shoot better dirty.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog I can't put a rifle up dirty. Rimfires....I usually let them go longer. They always seem to shoot better dirty.

I'm with you there, Bill. If there is a gun in my safe it is clean. If I went to the range and only shot a few rounds and will be going back out again with a the same gun in a few days then I might just put a bore snake through it and call it good for the time being. My .22 rimfires rarely get more than a spritz of solvent down the barrel followed my a bore snake. That seems to make them happy.

My Lilja barreled 22-250 coyote rifle cleans very easily. I have found Varget loads and Wipe out accelerator and foam are a good mix. My retired marine BIL picked up a used Howa 222 varmint rifle. I scoped it for him(it already shot very well) and we saw carbon and copper layering the entire length of rifling. He is trying to get it completely clean( it hasn't changed zero or group size between shooting/cleaning sessions. But I believe this rifle had never been cleaned, and he says the marine in him can't just shoot it and enjoy it. Next time I visit, I may try Skinneys method if the BIL hasn't completely cleaned it.

Originally Posted By: LLCattleTexskinney, I’ve heard some custom rifle/barrel guys say they never clean a rifle barrel. Have you ever had a barrel you never cleaned? If so, did you notice any difference between cleaning vs not cleaning?;

I've heard of some PRS guys going 100's of rounds without cleaning. I've personally never let a rifle go that long. Mainly because I don't want to be that guy. I've also done a lot of reading and watched professional long range shooters, who will clean after one session just to maintain precision.

Honestly in the end,it's up to the end user, basically what I say about everything we do. Many ways to skin a cat, my way isn't the only way, I'm just trying to help fellas out along the way. You'd be surprised at how many fellas didn't know what the rod guide was for! So little things like that are a win for me if I can help educate even a few!

Thanks for the views fellas! I appreciate it... Have a great season this year!

Back