Bering hogster 35 or Pulsar thermion XM30

MS2

My 11-year-old son and I are just getting into hunting coyotes with thermal and don't have a high-end budget. The two optics I am looking at are the Hogster R 35 and Pulsar thermion XM 30 or possibly even a pulsar core.
Where we hunt we are lucky to get a 200-250 yard shot and most times 100-150. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

IF I was doing it I would go with the Hogster R35. I have had one for 2 years trouble free. Would not buy a Pulsar. The Hogster is crystal clear.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! You might get more responses if you posted this in the Night Hunting section but I also recommend the Bering Hogster.

I ran a super hogster last winter in some very very cold temps in northwest Montana, killed lots of critters with it and it was flawless. I recently just bought the new Super Yoter so I have faith in Berings products.

I'm not sure what models but there are numerous complaints of certain Pulsar units not holding zero and IMO that's unacceptable at any price point.

Thank's guys for the input I appreciate it. I'm not too tech-savvy so even navigating the forum is going to take a little getting used to. That being said how user friendly is the Hogster for a nontech beginner like myself?

The Hogster only has 3 buttons that controls all operations, pretty easy to navigate, enough bells and whistles but not complicated.

The biggest challenge IMO new people have is getting a solid zero but there are lots of guys who are willing to help out.

Kino, can you PM me so I can ask you a couple questions about the SH.

Thanks, Mike Eddy

Last edited:
Before I pull the trigger and purchase for my price point do you recommend any others above the hogster? Is that the best I can do for under 3k?

Originally Posted By: jmeddyKino, can you PM me so I can ask you a couple questions about the SH.

Thanks, Mike Eddy

PM sent....

I have had several pulsar thermal scopes in the past, which I have sold or returned for numerous reasons. I own a hogster r25 and super yoter. I am happy with performance and quality of bering optics. In my experience you have to spend a lot more money on a higher end pulsar to get an image comparable to bering optics models.

Thermion XM30 would be great for both your son and you. For the price point you are looking at, a Thermion XM30 retailing at $2,300 gets the job done. Recording capability, 8 different color palettes, picture in picture mode is hard to beat for the price and range you’ll be shooting at.

Back