New loads for gain twist 220 swift

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
So it sounds like my new build will be done here soon. For those curious it's a Tikka action and a Ron Smith (old Canadian premium barrel maker) gain twist barrel starting at 22 ending at 14 twist.
My plan for this build is a flat shooting coyote hunting rifle. The thought was to push speeds with it and see if I can get any extra fps with the gain twist.
I have quite a selection of powders to play with but currently can't decide on what bullets to try. Would you guys go with a 35gr nosler and go for lightning speeds or a 52 gr Berger for accuracy. Or other good coyote bullets.

I have been a an avid Swift shooter since the late 70's and have shot a lot of different bullets over those years. I am pretty much down to two bullets today.
#1 - Sierra #1390 55 gr HPBT using IMR4064 powder
#2 - Barnes 36 gr Varmint grenade using AA2700 powder

The Sierra is extremely accurate out of my rifle and with this load I am not pushing it out at the limits but it is so accurate and deadly on the varmints I don't feel the need to push it real hard. This load is chronographed at 3865 fps out of my rifle. It does not exit coyotes when hit center mass. I have my CDS dial worked up for this load and it is what is in the magazine 80% of the time.

The Barnes is an absolute screamer and chronographs at 4500 fps with very good accuracy. It is [beeep] on coyotes with no exits if hit center mass. I don't shoot this round a lot mainly due to the wind we get here during the winter months but it is wicked on the

Ive had a couple swifts. Ruger m-77 mII and a Remington 700 vsf which I still have. Tried lots of different loads over the years. Used to use the 40 gr screamers, tried vmax barnes and noslers, now have settled on 52 gr target bullets they don't seem to splat as much. Berger or sierra always work for me. Current load is 52 gr berger flat base target 38 gr of IMR 4064. Never chronoed it, shoots 1/2 moa through the remington about 3/4 through the ruger. Seems to do the job.

Thanks guys. I have heard from a few places that the hpbt is the fan favorite for fur so I guess il have to start there.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerThanks guys. I have heard from a few places that the hpbt is the fan favorite for fur so I guess il have to start there.

Yep, you will be impressed with the performance of the HPBT.

Back