How unreliable are gas operated shotgun really?

I read about a test that was done about 20 years or so ago on gun cleaners. It found that WD-40 ranked at the bottom of the list because it actually attracts rust.

Originally Posted By: vahunterI read about a test that was done about 20 years or so ago on gun cleaners. It found that WD-40 ranked at the bottom of the list because it actually attracts rust.

I'd be curious to know if there is any validity to that. As far as I know, WD-40 was created for the Navy and stands for water displacement 40th recipe/formula.

As far as shotguns, I've heard locally that some cheap Walmart semi works very well, but the guy who said that always brags up whatever junk he buys and then you see it for sale a year later sooo...

When I was researching going on an Argentina dove hunt 15 years ago or so (didn't go) the common theme was if you're bringing a semi, only berretta's and benelli's need apply. Nothing else would hold up to that kind of volume without problems. I've had a 12 and 20 Montefeltro for about 20 years and haven't ever wanted anything else. I know there have been advancements since but what I have is reliable and look good.

If I wanted a gas gun it would be a Berretta. Buy once/cry once.

Well... don't be mad but there are now much better cleaning solvents and oils than what grandpap had back in the day.

in 1963 I purchased a new 1100 with the 30 inch barrel for duck hunting in Louisiana. I still shoot it. Never had a problem with it unless using reloads that have been put together too many times. Rust has never been an issue eve though I hunt in a salt water environment. It still shoots with the original metal gasket seal rather than the o-rings which they switched to. Have no idea how many thousands of rounds fired both in the states and Mexico on white wing hunts. I am anal regarding keeping guns clean. In the early years began using Break free but then switched to RemOil. I hope Remarms makes it as a company and can start production of the 1100 once again. Tried Berreta but never felt they offered the gun fit that the 1100 had.

not sure what you got but I have a Sx3 and had issues with it jamming when I first got it. I learned it was my fault for over oiling it now with a very light coat of oil its been years since I've had any issues with it, I've had water running out of it duck hunting and it goes off and cycles fine everytime

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootMy 3" 1100 SP is a problem when below zero temps, dry or many different lubes tried. The action cycles slow,very stiff by hand. 3" lead loads may work. Been like that since new in 1986. All original parts except I did open gas port 11% so 3" steel will cycle in duck weather.

I don't know near as much about gas shotguns as I do inertia because I gave up gas shotguns long ago. However, I had a problem with my Benelli in extreme cold. I called Benelli and asked what I should do. They told me to switch to synthetic oil and everything would be good. So, I switched to Birchwood synthetic! I haven't had a single problem in years. It might be worth a try to use some on your 1100. Just saying....

Back