Considering a brass catcher?

Kino M

Staff member
I'm considering trying a brass catcher while hunting this year, what are you guys running while hunting and has it caused issues?

I haven’t seen the one reb8600 makes but the Caldwell has been working for me. The one that slides over a piece that hooks to the picatinny rail. Don’t know it’s there and haven’t lost one yet.

I just put the objective of the scope through the adjustable hat size loop on the back of a ball cap and hang it over the ejection port using the sight adjusting knobs to hold it. The brass is kicked into the hat where it falls at your feet. Works best at the shooting bench so I dont have to chase brass.

I see a lot of guys at my range shooting without a brass catcher. Never have figured that out. I have one, (maybe a Caldwell), that velcro's on the fore-end. Cheap, catch's brass and weighs nothing.

My son and I both are using Caldwells. Mine is the velcro strap one due to a solid piece mount on my thermal scope. My son has the model that attaches to the picatinny between scope rings. I like his much better but mine works pretty good.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI see a lot of guys at my range shooting without a brass catcher. Never have figured that out. I have one, (maybe a Caldwell), that velcro's on the fore-end. Cheap, catch's brass and weighs nothing.

I have a cheap Caldwell as well that I run at the range and it has caused a few jams for me but is is super old and the new ones have a larger opening and a frame so it doesn't lay close to the ejection port.

For hunting, reb's is the way to go. Doesn't get in the way like the ones designed for bench use or mag dumps.

I've got one made of Kydex that fits over the Pic rail on an AR upper. some sort of fabric after that. I'll try to track down the maker of it. I bought it from some guy on 68forums but my memory is failing me on the name. It's not the end all be all of brass catchers but it Will catch it or at least knock it down while in the field.

I have one from Reb and it works well. It is compact, light and out of the way.

wZlF4l.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using Caldwell bags for years and finally ditched them all.
Now I use a BRASS GOAT. clips to the mag well and doesn't stick out the slightest.

Look it up since I don't know how to post a link.

Originally Posted By: Mr. Poppadopalis I headed to Cabelas tomorrow to pick up a Caldwell that has the picatinny rail adapter.

ive used one of those for years now. i have an adapter on almost every one of my uppers.

there are several knockoffs avaiable on amazon too... my cousin has one of them and likes it. one of the models has rail mounts they claim are caldwell compatible i have one to install and just havent tested it yet.

for most hunting.. i usually dont use a catcher though. that one or two pieces of brass i'm willing to sacrifice to the hunting gods if need be.

Paid $5.99 to get the cheaper velcro version of the Caldwell from PrimaryArms. They were on clearance for dirt cheap. Works okay, PITA though and its a bit bulky.

I have the one Reb makes as well. For hunting its the ticket. Small lightweight not cumbersome at all. If it doesnt catch it it still falls right next to you.

used the one from caldwel the velco handguard attachment type that several have stated for a Gopher/PD hunt this past may/june. It did ok

brassgoat by magwell products looks like a nice setup. If you only want to catch 4-5 cases though I think the type reb8600 sells is less intrusive during a hunt, and looks far quieter. The brassgoat is for dumping 30 round standard capacity magazines, while having fun it seems. I have what seems to be an earlier version of the goat. It’s a range item only in my few uses.

I got the one that mounts on the rail, made by Cadwell it is much better than the Velcro unit IMO.
A small mount sits on the rail and the catcher slips on to it. Tighten up the set screw. Slides on & off easy 'just pull' to get at bolt or take it off.

Back