Shipping a firearm....

centerfire_223

Has anyone shipped a gun lately? I have shipped them many times in the past. Here's what happened.

I was wanting one of my guns shipped out to me, so my son took it to UPS and they wouldn't ship it. So I told him to take it to the gun shop and have them ship it to my FFL here in NM. The gun shop told him it was against the law for them to ship it, even though it was going to a gun shop here. The reason they gave was in reality it isn't their gun, so they can't legally ship it.

Could someone fill me in on who will ship or how to get it shipped?

Shipped my son's long guns, hand guns are different, to him couple years ago, USPS. Called ATF and was informed you can ship to yourself. To him, from him, even though I was doing it, went with no problem.

I use FEDEX when I ship. UPS many times also but I think FEDEX us a bit more secure.

I've never had any static from either.

Greg

I shipped five guns this spring with narry a problem. UPS stores or pickup points can't ship firearms and I had to take it to a hub. A lot of USPS employees are idiots and when ever I ship with them I take a copy of the page in their shipping manual with me and still they need to get a supervisor out to verify. USPS manual is a available online.

I've found the easiest way is to use Gunbrokers find an FFL function at the bottom of their main page. You then enter your ZIP code and set up your parameters. Look for one who will ship a long gun for say $25.00 Of course it has to go to another FFL but if they charge $25.00 too it's not to outrageous. That method works best for when you sell or buy. Goodluck

Take it To a UPS or fedex Hub packaged addressed FROM you TO you in the other Location your shipping through YOU DONT HAVE to tell them there is a GUN. I HAVE NEVER told them what was in the package, just affrimed that it not liquid flammable etc. Shipped TONS of them when working at a Gun shop. AND IT'S not illegal to ship a Gun to yourself (yet).

NOW If your son puts his name in the From and yours in the TO address ....uhhh yeah ATF will keep it when scanned through a hub as prima facia it is transferring even if its your gun.

As a FFL i've recieved literally hundreds from private indivduals with a copy of their license logg em in my bound book and tranferred them to a indivdual after a background check.
The Dealer just did not want to fool with it, unless its some local law but federal law doesnt prohibit it.

Gunsmith ship repaired guns all the time to indivdual that shipped them guns for repair.

Last edited:

You can legally ship your firearm to the manufacturer or to an FFL. Just call and ask them.
I don't ship anything to a person. I sold a plastic CZ gunstock to a fellow.
I had two ICE agents knock on my door. I have two tax stamps and a CCW.
I served 25 years, from 1967 to 1992. I had an FFL for 10 years.
I have never been arrested I have no record.
I get a retirement check from the Navy Department.
The Post office turned me in. The ICE agents came in for coffee, Nice fellows.

haha Willy good story. Visions of Hey we Just came by for a cup of coffee and By the way.....
but yes the key is shipping to ones self.
example is if i'm going to Montana on a hunt I would address it to myself where I'm going to.

here it is from the Horse's mouth so to speak
ATF FAQ
Link https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download

page 4&5

5. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?

Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State
where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be
addressed to the owner of the firearm “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching
its destination, persons other than the owner of the firearm must not open the package or take
possession of the firearm. The out-of-State resident is encouraged to place the package in a safe
and secure location until the owner of the firearm is available to take physical possession.

Notice the wording "take Possession" vs Receiving. Receiving a package is lawful but opening the box is considered possession. Stupid I know, but if we want to change that quit electing the same ole stupid people. none of our elected officals need more than two terms.

Again DONT volunteer more information than what your shipper needs, which is prohibited items they will ask question all they are looking for is a no answer.

Your package is safer with them NOT know what in there, Willys story highlights that.
While many may work the the shipping industry extremely few know all the regulations pertaining to their occupation.

P.S. DONT put Ammo in with the firearm That is a Hazmat Item they would have to travel seperate under differant regulations

Last edited:
Sgt mike you are 100 % correct but I’m pretty sure the only one that will ship the gun if it’s not going to an ffl or manufacture is the usps. Tried this last year on a coyote hunt out west. Wanted to avoid the headache and mishandling of the firearms at the airport so we figured we would ship them to ourselves at our destination. Shipped them 2 day shipping to a friends house out there a week ahead of time. Guns didn’t get there for 3 weeks then another 2 weeks to get returned to us. Thank god we had some friends out there and used their guns but it was a total nightmare. Next time just gonna bite the bullet and get to the airport early and take it on the chin. Thank god we did end up getting our guns back safe and sound but it was stressful and would have totally ruined the trip had we not had friends out there. So I would just caution anyone who is gonna ship em to a destination for a hunting trip. They may not get there no matter what class shipping you use. I am not sure but I don’t think fed ex will ship them if not to an ffl.

Originally Posted By: ToroSgt mike you are 100 % correct but I’m pretty sure the only one that will ship the gun if it’s not going to an ffl or manufacture is the usps. Tried this last year on a coyote hunt out west. Wanted to avoid the headache and mishandling of the firearms at the airport so we figured we would ship them to ourselves at our destination. Shipped them 2 day shipping to a friends house out there a week ahead of time. Guns didn’t get there for 3 weeks then another 2 weeks to get returned to us. Thank god we had some friends out there and used their guns but it was a total nightmare. Next time just gonna bite the bullet and get to the airport early and take it on the chin. Thank god we did end up getting our guns back safe and sound but it was stressful and would have totally ruined the trip had we not had friends out there. So I would just caution anyone who is gonna ship em to a destination for a hunting trip. They may not get there no matter what class shipping you use. I am not sure but I don’t think fed ex will ship them if not to an ffl.
sick.gif

this tale saddens me because it portrays the wrong things our shippers as well as the masses think vs law and legality. Sometimes its their policies (shippers being too weak to say that its a policy and blame the Law) that hamstring us massively, when we attempt to adibe by the law as well as make it easier for ourselves to do legal and lawful activites.

Too many times I hear "there outta to be a law" vs well they are within their rights. Many do not understand that everytime our legislatures be it local, state or Federal are in session we are losing rights little by little.

Last edited:
It's a shame that reading comprehension and knowledge of regulation is so rare in the shipping industry. Really it's not all that complicated.

Greg

Sometimes I think it’s just cause they want to give you a hard time. No proof but can’t say I necessarily feel the love

My local post office in Texas is adamant that an individual cannot ship a long gun and it has to come from a dealer. Even when you take the ATF and usps paperwork saying it’s okay. However I take it to a UPS and they mail it off easy the only question is “is there any ammo in the case?” I’ve shipped rifles back to hunters, friends, family members. I think more than anything it’s the ignorance of the person working behind the counter

Back