Progressive glasses for hunting?

BJJ223

I am a coyote, quail, and duck hunter. In the past, I have always used single vision glasses with transitions for hunting. I am considering changing to progressives with transition lenses.

Is that a bad idea?

It would be nice to be able to read maps in the field, But, I don’t want to be less effective pulling the trigger or spotting animals.

Last edited:
I wear bifocal transition lens glasses.

Many years ago I tried using single vision shooting glasses for shooting Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. It drove me nuts not having the bifocals for seeing things up close.

The bifocal on my shooting glasses are lower than they are on my regular glasses so they don't get in the way while I am shooting. My regular transition glasses with bifocal lenses don't bother me seeing animals or shooting rifles or shotguns.

I wear transition bifocals,pretty much the same as Bob for me,I just have to make sure they have not slid down on my nose at all.Guess I should have said progressive,good thing I am not an eye doctor

Last edited:
By "transition" you mean photo sensitive lenses that darken in sunlight?

"Progressive" lenses are a no line bifocal.

I wear lined bifocal glasses with the bifocal low in the lense to be able to see the ground Infront of me. I'm pretty hard on glasses so I buy inexpensive glasses so I can easily replace them when scratched and have separate sunglasses set up the same.. i can still get away with store bought polarized sunglasses with a 2x bifocal to fish out of a little fuzzy out on water still works.

Have run the gamut of single vision, bifocals, refused trifocals and went straight to progressives years ago. Progressives serve me well in the field. Have used transitioning progressives but often had to remove them to hunt the first/last minutes of twilight.

Progressives sliding down is definitely a consideration, SPORT STRAP works well to negate this issue.

Regards,
hm

I wear trifocals for my every day glasses. Had a pair of bifocals made with the reader set low. This was the best thing that I ever did for shooting. I am much more consistent looking thru the scope and switching off of it then I was before. Readers sure help with settings and such.

Originally Posted By: BJJ223I am a coyote, quail, and duck hunter. In the past, I have always used single vision glasses with transitions for hunting. I am considering changing to progressives with transition lenses.

Is that a bad idea?

It would be nice to be able to read maps in the field, But, I don’t want to be less effective pulling the trigger or spotting animals.

Depends on your style of duck hunting but if you field hunt from layout blinds or hunt divers from real layout boats you will be laying on your back looking at your toes and the reading section of the glasses will not be good but for all other hunting the progressive is great.

I've had progressives for a number of years for everyday life. But had a pair of single vision glasses made for hunting.

Both have their place. I have to move my head more to get sharp focus since the progressives aren't sharp edge to edge on the sides. As with waterfowl hunting, sitting up in a tree stand I couldn't wear progressives because the ground right below me was through the reader part and that bugged me...

Actually, calling from the ground in timber bugs me with progressives, because i have to move my head more to see things clearly verses seeing everything clear in the lens. With coyotes moving it's less important, but those sneaky cats i'm in the cover to call it seemed to make it harder, and it's already hard spotting them stalking in....

But out in the wide open calling i often wouldn't notice what glasses i had on from a coyote spotting perspective.

That said, in all settings the progressives help with a call remote! My single vision glasses suck with using a remote. i have to hold it out a ways for it to be clearer (not clear) and my old sporpion remote is pretty small text, while I do ok with the crossfire.

The camera is a bit different. I'd of thought i'd prefer progressives for it, but for the camera, i have it up closer to my face anyway and prefer to have on my single vision glasses and look over the top of the lenses. maybe this is an old habit with glasses i never realized I did? but the frames for my progressives, purposely tighter/beefier so they grip my ears and head so don't slip, I can't see over them as easy.

So getting old sucks! For me there isn't one best setup... But i do prefer the single vision just so everything in the lens is in focus. And they work better for the camera and i can still manage a remote if I'm using one.

later,
scruffy

I decided to risk it and got progressive sunglasses in transitions lenses. They are clear in the morning and darken up as the day gets brighter.

I used them opening day duck hunting. That is much harder test than coyote hunting for glasses. I never shot better in my life. I limited in 20 minutes barely missing.

For me, progressive glasses work for hunting.

(I thought that would help for anyone considering the same thing).

Back