22-250 bullet/ powder help

Tika58

I just picked up a new Bergara 22-250 with a 1-9 twist. With the limited selections I have available I’ve been trying to work up a decent load for this winter. For bullets I’m working with 60 gr vmax and a nosler 40 gr ballistic tip. The powders I have are varget and 8208 xbr. So far I’ve had only so so results I loaded up three loads each bullet using varget. The 60 vmax gave me one load with low sd/es with a fair 3/4 inch group but at only around 3300 FPS or so. The 40 gr noslers all gave me terrible sd/es numbers using varget but on paper still shot between 3/4 to an inch five shot groups. All things considered I’m trying not to burn through to many components i can’t replace. So I guess I’m asking if anyone has had any particular luck using similar to what I’ve got, with regards to 22-250. Like should I try the 8208 with the 40’s or will they end up splashing horribly. Also is it worth shooting the 60s downloaded. Am I just nerding over it needlessly?

Varget and the 40BT have shot very well in my factory Rem. I haven't chronographed them, it's a under 300 yard hunting rifle. Let the target and repeatability(first shot) be your guide for hunting rifles.

I have used IMR 4064 for years with a variety of bullets. Back in my groundhog hunting days I used Sierra and Hornady match bullets for great accuracy and performance on those critters, but never used them on coyotes. I think the Speer 52 gr. HP with its large hollow cavity might be worth a try if you can find any. On groundhogs they didn’t exit many times. The 55 gr, VMax might be worth considering too. It worked very good on groundhogs and accuracy was good.

Varget is a good choice, so is the 50 Vmax if you can get that bullet (whats your charge weight?). What kind of groups are you getting? Horizontal or Vertical, 3 in one hole 2 in the other etc.?
I have a few different loads with Varget that shoot very well, with numerous bullet selections.

Factory Rifle shooting 3/4 MOA, isn't bad, and might be the best you'll get. How far off the lands are you? Might lead me to changing that up a bit depending on your OAL.

Groups for all six loads are more less printing two-three in one hole or pert near. Then throws two around an inch away. OAL is 2.360 book for both bullets is 2.350. I was really hoping to use the 40’s but am very unimpressed with speed variances, even though they group ok, but not great.

I would try seating depth... pull your firing pin assembly, and seat a bullet long in an unprimed case, chamber it, and measure to the ogive or OAL if you don't have a comparator gauge. seat it a few thousandths back...
What is your powder charge of Varget?

IMR 4064 for me with 50-55grainers have been great in my older model 700 with about 1/4" groups and good velocity.

I'm shooting a Tikka 1-8 twist Tikka for coyotes. My gun shot best with Nosler 40 gr bullets, even some 1/2" groups at 200 yds. Several folks (some on this site) told me to avoid the 40's for coyotes, did I listen, of course not! How can such an accurate load go wrong. I shot my first coyote with the 40's, wore him out and flattened him like a pancake. Then he jumped up staggered across the property line, never to be seen again.
I switched to a 55 gr Varmageddon and a grain off max of Varget. I've shot 16 coyotes since then, and recovered every one. Most fell in their tracks, even though bullet placement wasn't perfect in every case. Varget is working great for me.

H4350 with the 60's would be the mack daddy load, win primer.

Varget load will be a hot one for sure, but will work in spades...not the best.

I have had more nippers and spinners 250 yards with 40g than any other bullet, short range ok. 40g Nosler BT and 40g Sierra spt high velocity along with 45g Sierra high velocity rule the day on light bullets.

Last edited:
60g V max with H4350 would be the mack daddy load, win primer.

Varget load will work, not top velocity.

65g Sierra btsp will shine in the 9T, but they do not exist on store shelves at this point and will not for some time to come.

Last edited:
My 8" twist Tikka likes Sierra 55BK and CFE-223, will shoot 1.25" 5 shot groups at 200 yds. I bought the 8" twist to shoot heavier bullets but I can't find an accurate combination. The 55gn Sierras BKs work so well I finally gave up on heavier bullets.

What kind of load you running with 60 vmax and H4350. I’ll be starting to reload for a buddies 22-250 and with current powder selections being limited, I have 10 pounds of H4350...

Originally Posted By: ackleyman60g V max with H4350 would be the mack daddy load, win primer.

Varget load will work, not top velocity.

65g Sierra btsp will shine in the 9T, but they do not exist on store shelves at this point and will not for some time to come.

Those 65gn SpBt Gamekings are excellent all-around bullets. I have a few boxes that I am going to load up for my son's 22 creed, when Mr Beanland gets it finished up. Should hammer yotes and Oklahoma whitetails just fine. I am about out of the 69gn TMK, or I would just load those up instead.

Last edited:
If you can find H380 time proven powder for 22/250 I like Sierra Game King #1365. 38 grains or so always seems to work.

Back