375 Win. for elk ?

masshunter

Has anyone used the 375Win for elk ? I'm heading to Colorado next Oct, near Meeker, used to stay at "Sleepy Cat" when they had the bar there. I haven't been there in about ten years, but hunted it in the past six times and killed three bulls. Not very big, two 4x4 and a 4x5, but fine for me. I used my 06, with 180 hand loads, but in the timber my shots were about 25-30 yards. Since I got the Marlin 375 its been my go to for deer and black bear here in the east. I shoot the the 220gr Hornady over 35gr of RL 7. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with bullet performance with that bullet or any of the other custom bullets. Thanks

One year, a guy I hunted with used his 35 rem to take a spike bull in the timber. First shot straight on in the chest from about 25 yards, bull never reacted. He short stroked the lever gun trying to quietly setup a 2nd shot and had to clear it. Bull turned, walked a few steps and turned slightly looking back. 2nd shot quartering away dropped the young bull. So,yes your 375 should be adequate for close range elk.

Back