What did you do today in the world of reloading?

Originally Posted By: Zastava223rem

Did I say 250 lbs? That was a type, meant 25.0
cool.gif

Appreciate the heads up. Never knew a lot of that to be law/regulation. Looks like I need to get some wood and start that project.

Bahahahahahahaha! I wouldn't be concerned about too much however, I went into a few different stores yesterday and there was a lot more than 50lbs of powder on the same shelf, as well as stacked on the shelf under and on top of one another.
w00t.gif

Ordered 1k Hornady XTP 240 gr Bullets from grafs, as of a few days ago they were in stock for $30/100 if you buy in quantity plus $10 flat rate shipping. Also got the ever elusive Lee FCD for .45-70 as well as parts for the MEC 600 JR

Picked up a set of like new RCBS .280 Rem dies pretty reasonable and got to shoot some of the rifles a bit. Did a little handgun shooting. Really digging the accuracy of BlueDot in .44 Mag. Medium recoil and stacks the SWC's pretty tight. Red Dot makes for a very nice mild load with the same bullets running it right at the 850 fps mark so its good mild practice.

picked up a collet for the rcbs bullet puller. then put it to work pulling down some rushed loading of .223 with win748 on my last PD hunt. note to self never make that load again
i deserve it should have tested before dragging it to the PD fields

Pulled a little over 200 rds of .223 Loads that were made for a 16" 5.56 barreled AR. 60 gr VMAX and H335. They were .2 over max and needed backed down to max (best shooting load was the book max). Good lesson on why you check and double check the equipment. They shot fine but with flattened primers and little less accuracy.

Also finally got around to pulling a bag of .308 Win I loaded in the early spring along with .30-06. Must have had a brain fart and marked them as 50 gr of IMR4064
unsure.gif

Immediately pulled them from my stock pile to be pulled. Turns out, I was loading 50 gr IMR4064 in my .30-06 loads and when I switched to the 308, I changed powder charge but mistakenly wrote the wrong thing on the data label. Pulled them all anyway and sure enough they were all 42 gr. Better safe than sorry. Doubt you could stuff 50 gr in a 308 case anyway.

Today I am heading to the range with test loads for a new Tikka .223 T3 CTR Scout 1:8 twist using 60 gr VMAX and Benchmark powder. Gonna be a good little varmint rig (like we need another).

Also lucked into some Nosler ABLR in 7mm at a gunshow and ordered a Swift reloading manual from Grafs

Loaded some K Hornet for testing this Wedesday

40 gr Sierria BLitz Kings with IMR 4227
40 gr Sierria Blitz Kings with Accurate 11FS
50 gr Speer SP #1029 with AA1680
50 gr Hornady Varmint SP #2245 with Accurate 11FS

buddy of mine is dragging up some regular hornets for me to fireform into K hornets
his loads ar 35gr bullet with 5 grs Unique swears that it is way gentler on the necks.

Tomorrow set up some .223 (that I pulled down) using Accurate 2015, and My favorite H335 for the 55gr and lighter bullets.
the AA2015 powder looks promising in the books lets see what the range will dictate

Last edited:
pulled and reduced then reloaded 1 load on the 22 k online data (Hodgden) and published load data (sierria) disagreed.

seeing how I'm using 11FS vs H110 (Hodgden Ballistic Tech Told me it was the same exact powder with a flash suppressant added) I decided to error to caution and reduse the load by a grain almost. Always cautious when I first use a new (to me) powder. According the Sierria i was what 0.3grs over

Did a bit of load development on a new to me Tikka T3 CTR Scout in .223 Rem. Needless to say, it didn't take long to narrow down a good load with 60 gr VMAX and 23.0 gr of Benchmark. Measures 0.241" center to center at 100 yards in a light right to left breeze.

TJnhopl.jpg

V3M2pla.jpg

Yesterday actually did some load developing in the 22 K hornet.
Used Accurate 11FS ( supposed to be the same as H110 ?)
settled on 12.0 grs for each sample sets.
Bullet used Sierria 40gr on all samples. Qty each group 20 rounds.

Group 1 COL is at 1.900" with CCI Small pistol Primers
Group 2 COL set at 1.900" with Small Rifle Primers Winchester
Group 3 COL set at 1.850" with CCI Small pistol primers
Group 4 COL set at 1.850" With Small Rifle primers Winchester

The brass had all been Firefomed in this chamber So I had set the FL Dies to work (Size down) only 1/2 the neck length. this would allow the cartridge to "center" better. The rifle is a SS Falling block so a excessive COL has no issues

Results: the COL at 1.900" with Small Pistol primers beat out everything to a honest 1MOA with two called fliers.
The next was the 1.900" with WSR primers. Both showed excellant Pressure range by primer condition and extraction.

When I moved to the 1.850" COL with the small Pistol primers by the 5th shot, grouping size was approx 2MOA at which point I stopped and decided pulldown and reseat to the longer COL. I shot the other 5 with WSR primers to look at the pressure signs on primers they showed a little bit flatter primer signs with no alarms, not worse than factory ammo, again easy extraction.

Picked up 300 pieces of Norma 204 Ruger brass for a fairly decent price. Pretty much anything 204 Ruger, ammo or brass, has been pretty hard to find for awhile now.

Loaded more of those 60 gr VMAX rounds for my tikka on the last page and loaded some .300 Win Mag for a Sako 75V Hunter with VX5HD 3-15x56. Should be good for deer and bear now with 180 gr Protected Points

Also hooked a family member up with some Varget and other powder to try in a few of his guns

I loaded fired brass from my main suppressed 22-250 fur rifle. 52 gr Barts ultra, 34.9 gr H4895. Extremely accurate fur friendly from Lilja 12t(21.75").

Loaded 100 rounds of 9mm. Just a side note: Played with my .22 Long Rifle and my Savage 17 HMR. Watched a couple of videos on YouTube on how to get a little more accuracy out of the rim fires. Played with the stocks by torquing the stock screws in 5 lbs increments. I was impressed with the results. The 22 LR had a sweet spot at 20 lbs and the 17 HMR had a sweet spot at 15 lbs. I recommend trying it out.

Back