Blind or treestand???

pyscodog

Which do you prefer? For years I always hunted in a treestand. Sometimes what my friends called nose bleed high. Now that I'm in my golden years, hanging a stand is WORK. The last few years I mainly hunted off the ground in a natural made blind, just using limbs and brush. Although I did bow hunt out of a stand the first part of the bow season but thought I would die before I got it up. I was thinking about maybe buying a pop-up blind to use this year. They seem great in foul weather but not so sure when its warm like the first part of archery in Okla.

I use a little bit of everything based on location. Permanent/pop-up blinds get the nod in poor weather but I still use treestands during good weather. When I want to be mobile I just carry a seat that hooks to the tree with a cushion. The tree seat is especially useful on public land. Almost have to have some of each type for of terrain/location.

Last edited:
I like my Red Neck blind. Plenty of room and comfortable too in all sorts of weather. I have a propane heater in it and a comfortable swivel office chair. I can sit in all day if need be.

Years ago I had a blind. It was a lot larger than I really needed but "big is better". The last three-four years the majority of my hunting has been off the ground and I usually do good. Academy has a smaller blind that I was looking at. It says 2 man but I think it would be a lot more convenient for one person and a nice lawn chair. My only real issue is when the temps are up, its a sweat box. That was the issue I had with the large blind I had. But when its hot, its hot. In a stand or a blind.

I have a small propane heater as well. I was thinking it sure would be nice when the weather finally gets cold and it would be nice and warm in that small blind.

we hunt in elevated box blinds. average floor height is between 6-9 feet above the ground. flip up windows 12x48" on the front and both sides. some of them have 12x36 on the sides.

typical dimensions are 5' x 5' with 7' inside height.

gives room for a nice comfy office style chair so that sitting all day on a stand is tolerable. plus elbow room inside so you're not bumping stuff or tripping over your gun leaning in a corner.

also nice to be able to warm up some soup while you're out there instead of just cold snacks. bonus to being inside a box is you dont have to be absolutely silent since you have something shielding your noise from the outside world.

my Coleman single bottle top burner doubles as my heater for those cold mornings. nothing like sitting in the deer shack wearing a hoodie and blue jeans with some base layer underneath instead of layered up like the stay-puff marshmallow man lol - does get a little annoying when it warms up enough for the mosquito's to start to come out of hibernation though :p

I have a ground blind....around 7 ladder stands of different sizes and heights in different locations across the Farm...an elevated box blind in case of colder/wet weather which i enjoy the most and I have a swivel chair in it and a buddy heater to keep me warm.As You get older it more about comfort and staying out longer!

I use a tree seat,find a tree with a little lean to it
strap it on and drag a little brush around it and I'm good to go.I hunt public land so it's good to be mobile.

Back