What is everyones Go-To load for .357 Magnum?

Picked up some more Starline brass to load with 158 gr XTP and an accurate charge of W296.

W231 works really well with a 158 gr cast load for the lighter recoiling stuff too.

What are some favorite powders and bullets for everyone?

When I got my first .357 47 years ago, a Colt Trooper, my favorite load was a stiff charge of (then) Dupont 2400, a CCI small magnum cap and usually a 158 grain Hornady. I know that the burn rate has changed a bit over the years and what was a max charge back then is too heavy today for most guns. And today the number of powders suitable (if you can find them) for that round have likely quadrupled. So if I was loading .357 today and I reached for a can of powder on my shelf and came back with some 2400 in my hand I would be fine with that. Load it to around 1200 fps and all would be good.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.158gr XTP, 18.0grs Lilgun.

Book says, 1,550+fps, but I've not shot it over a chrony.

What gun and barrel length? I don't think that is something I would try to duplicate with my K frame S&W guns. Maybe in a Ruger New Model Blackhawk or Redhawk.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI shot coyotes and Javelina with Sierra 125's and Hornady XTP 125's with 18.0g of H110 and 17.8g of IMR 4227, Rem and Win brass.

Might have to play with some 125's, think i have some buried somewhere

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: K-22hornet.158gr XTP, 18.0grs Lilgun.

Book says, 1,550+fps, but I've not shot it over a chrony.

What gun and barrel length? I don't think that is something I would try to duplicate with my K frame S&W guns. Maybe in a Ruger New Model Blackhawk or Redhawk.

Ruger, Security Six, 6".

Like I said, I have not shot it over a chrono, I haven't had a chrono since I drilled mine with a 380acp.

The load is from Hodgdon's website.

With Lilgun, you can keep the same velocity as, say H110, and have significantly lower pressures, or have comparable pressures and have higher velocity.

Hot load, lotta boom with that one. Personally that would not be for me, if I felt like I needed that much I would reach for a bigger gun. I'm happy with about 1400 fps with a 158 gr. in the .357.

I run 17 grains of Lil gun through my Marlin lever gun at about 1825fps. I don't know how I'd feel about 18 grains in a revolver. Lol..

My "go to" load for many, many years in my 257 Magnum has been 16 gr of H110 powder, Fed200 primers, WW Super brass and the Hornady 158 gr XTP HP bullet.
It has always worked and I don't see any need to try anything else.

From Hogdon's website:

MAX loads:

H110, 16.7gr, 1,591fps and 40,700 CUP;

Lilgun, 18.0gr, 1,577fps and 25,800 CUP.

I am a fan of low pressure loads. Getting similar velocities with lower pressures, that's just icing on the cake.

Back