Bergara B14

DW Hanna

I'm finally retired and my health is improved, my Goldwing takes up my Summer months, but Late Fall and Winter are coming. I'm thinking about doing some Yote hunting and put a new Bergara B14 22-250 on layaway. Love the fit and feel of this rifle. Now I need to top it with a decent scope, and I'm considering a Vortex Diamondback Tactical. What do you think, good combination? I know there are more expensive scopes out there, but I'm not seeking pro status with $1600 glass.

I have the Leupold VX III 4.5-14 40mm with CDS dial and fine duplex reticle on some of my varmint rifles. I have found them to be a great scope.

Originally Posted By: DW HannaI'm finally retired and my health is improved, my Goldwing takes up my Summer months, but Late Fall and Winter are coming. I'm thinking about doing some Yote hunting and put a new Bergara B14 22-250 on layaway. Love the fit and feel of this rifle. Now I need to top it with a decent scope, and I'm considering a Vortex Diamondback Tactical. What do you think, good combination? I know there are more expensive scopes out there, but I'm not seeking pro status with $1600 glass.

Do you have a max budget for glass? Trying to stay around the Diamondback Tactical price point?

I have a buddy with a Bergara and it's a real shooter.

On a centerfire rifle, in the Vortex line up, I wouldn't recommend using anything lower than their Viper "HS" line of scopes.

I might stretch the budget a little, but I'd like to keep it under $500. I appreciate the comment on the Bergara. When I started looking at them I found it fit me like someone measured me for it. The fit and feel were perfect, and the trigger ain't bad either.

I know one of the best "pro's" in the industry who used to run simmons. Price doesn't reflect "pro status"... Performance, does.

Look for sales at end of year if you can wait. I bought my vortex viper hst last year for 300 on clearance. It topped my tc icon 243.

Vortex has TONS of issues with its low and mid tier lines, they would probably be my last choice. On a budget I would consider a Meopta, Athlon, Arken, SWFA or a Burris.

Bought the same gun last year and finally got it sighted in today actually. Great shooter so far! I only went to 100 yards today but 2 different ammos and shot in the same group. I have a leo v3i 4.5-14x50 on it and so far it worked well. I’d steer away from vortex. My Viper HS is hazy on higher mag. The diamondbacks are so so. There’s a reason vortex has the best warranty in the optics business. Chances are your going to need it more so over many of the other established brands. Just my opinion. Burris has some good scopes also.

Thanks everyone, I now have a better idea of what I want. My SIL has an Athlon on his 7mm, nice scope, but has the illuminated reticle which I don't want. They do offer scopes without the illumination, but at much higher prices. I took a look at Burris and like what I've seen for the price point. The glass is clear all the way to the edge, and the magnification seems to remain very sharp. I found a 6.5x20-50 with a mil-dot reticle for just over $200. For my purposes, I think it will do just fine.
It occurs to me this discussion probably should have been held in the optics section, so let me get back on track about the rifle. Has anyone converted their rifle from the floor plate configuration to using magazines? The conversion looks simple enough, but seems a little senseless since the standard floor plate version hold 4 rounds and the mags only hold 3. I guess it's faster to reload, but you'd think a 4 round mag wouldn't be that difficult to manage. I also have to decide on ammo. The Bergara has a 1-9 twist where my Weatherby had a 1-12 and the Winchester had a 1-14. With my hand loads the Weatherby zeroed in 12 rounds at 100 yards, the last 3 rounds touching in a clover leaf. The Winchester seemed very happy with it as well. I'm hoping the B14 will like them as well. I was hoping to provide the exact load info, but we rearranged the garage and my reloading box is buried. I did find my book though and I was loading 55gr ballistic tips over 34gr of Accurate 2520 using Winchester primers.
I also need a bi-pod. Is Harris still the gold standard or is there something better these days?

Last edited:
Back