22-250 Velocities with 50-52 grain bullets

mooremichael143

Has anybody really got 3900-4000 FPS with the 50-52 grain bullets? Hornady and Berger’s manuals are all very conservative with there charges and velocities. But the hodgdon manual shoes it’s possible. Then hornady offered the super performance line with the 50 grain vmax going 4k.

The two bullets of choice will be the 50 grain vmax and the 52 grain Berger’s. I’m not looking to make the investment in some of the components just yet if I can’t get 3900-4000 being as I have a 204 ruger pushing 35 grain Berger’s at 3968 as an average. The rifle will be a Remington 700 varmint with a 26” barrel suppressed. The brass will lapua brass wity federal match 210 large rifle primers. Any help will be appreciated.

Back when I ran a 22-250 I had TERRIBLE results with the 50 Vmax, HUGE splash wounds and runners. I was running them around 3650, I would definitely look at a different bullet.

I would use the Sierra’s or nosler’s if I could find um. It’s really any 50 grain bullet with a similar BC. That’s why I would consider the the 52’s as well.

I agree, but if I can’t get the speed out my 22-250 I’ll build the stripped lr308 I have into a 6mm and get the speed no problem. It would just be cheaper at the moment to buy dies and bullets for the bolt gun already together than have to buy ar parts, dies, bullets and casings for a 6 creed.

Originally Posted By: mooremichael143I agree, but if I can’t get the speed out my 22-250 I’ll build the stripped lr308 I have into a 6mm and get the speed no problem. It would just be cheaper at the moment to buy dies and bullets for the bolt gun already together than have to buy ar parts, dies, bullets and casings for a 6 creed.

I also have a 6 creed in AR10 and bolt action savage. I've been able to get 4000 fps with my 6 creed with 55gr bullets. The 6 creed offers the versatility to load long/heavy bullets for long range shooting. The 115gr bergers from my 6 creed are not fur friendly but a great option for long range shooting. I believe both my 6 creed are 1:8 twist. AR has 22" barrel and savage has 26" barrel.

That’s my end goal. It’s a killer round. I played with some ballistics and it’s ignorantly flat. I just don’t wanna spend the coin just yet. All I would need for the 22-250 is thread the barrel and get the dies and bullets. Its already in the chassis sporting a trigger tech.

52 gr Amax with a stiff charge of Reliant AR comp. Ive chopped the same barrel twice, magneto speed average velocities 26" was at 3935, 22" 3825, and 16.5" that its currently at 3450. Its a stout load right below the edge of pressure issues and has to be checked with different lots of powder. Based on what my rifle is showing me its shot out at 1200 rds. Speed generally comes with a price either your willing to pay it or not.

That’s a lot of rounds for a thermal rig though. It’s not a match rifle. To get that speed for a flat trajectory out to 300, I’ll take 1200 rounds all day.

Ar Comp is the only powder ive approached those velocities with. Tried several others and mid 3700s was the usual. This is a 1in 14 twist rem 700 varmint.

Im also not dissapointed with 1200rds or even less from a hunting rifle. I know too many people thag download their 250 to 223 speeds to save barrel life. If i was worried about barrel life i wouldnt have a hot rod cartridge in the first plac.

I've double checked my data for my 22-250. It is 1:12 twist 26" barrel. With 39.0 gr of CFE 223 with lapua and Remington cases I've been pushing Nosler ballistic tips 3850 to 3968 depending on air temperature and barrel temperature. Cold bore first shot has been averaging around 3920 fps.

Mine is a 1:14 but I’m looking to shoot a bullet 3-5 grains less so it wouldn’t be that much of a difference. Those are some solid numbers I could live with for the time being. I have had great luck with cfe223. I know some guys hate it but I have no complaints.

Originally Posted By: mooremichael143Did you try and cfe223 or stallball 6.5?

If this question was directed to me no i never did. The ARComp shot so well and proved fairly temp stable which is important to me when riding the edge of pressure so I quit looking and 6.5 Staball was not around when i did the bulk of my load development with that rifle.

Back