Infiray E6+ V3.0 (= Phenom 640) chamois detection problems in rocks

Ernest49

Today the hunter's son wrote me to whom I sold the Pulsar Accolade XP50 lrf last year. He bought the Infiray E6 + V3.0 (which is virtually identical to Kirsch's fabulous Bering Optics Phenom 640). He is very disappointed because in the early morning, with the Infiray E6 +, he is unable to detect chamois among the rocks in the high mountains. Instead it seems possible with the Accolade.
I translate the text messages he sent me and my answers. Guys I would like your opinion and possibly advice for my friend.

Mountain hunter: "I am trying the Infiray E6 + V3.0, but it does not satisfy me ... it is too difficult to distinguish animals from rocks even in the morning .... I think I will sell it after the hunting season ...

My reply: "Select Hue Cold and also Ultraclear Mode (an eye appears in the display). Select contrast 1 and brightness 2 or 3."

Hunter: "I've done everything but it's too sensitive ... in a mountain environment you risk not seeing the chamois ... "

My reply: "Have you ever made a comparison with your dad's Pulsar Accolade XP50 lrf?
If you can't detect chamois with the Infray E6 +, you shouldn't be able to detect chamois with the Accolade either ... because you wrote me it looked good on both."

Hunter: "... detects the heat of chamois, but does not distinguish them from the rocks as heat intensity even in the morning. When I look with the Pulsar Accolade you distinguish them as well as from the rocks in the morning"

Last edited:
Ernest, I have no knowledge of the Iray and have only had my 640 Phenom a couple of weeks so I have no idea if adjustments to colors, contrast, etc. could clear up the problem as compared to the Pulsar. With that said, I suspect that once winter sets in and the rocks get cold it won't be an issue early in the mornings.

First, every thermal sensor and every brand have their advantages. For instance, the iRay sensor and Bering optics thermals seem to handle humidity better than anything else I have used. The BAE sensor in the Nvision and Trijicon seem to do a great job of PID at very long distances, and Pulsar I believe still uses the ULIS sensor. I have always felt in using Pulsars that they do a really nice job on background detail. I have said this many times on this forum and others. It is very possible, the Pulsar and it's sensor simply have an advantage in that exact environment your mountain hunter is using. One other advantage of the Pulsar is there are more levels of adjustments on the various settings.

As for the E6, if your mountain hunter hasn't tried the color mode that looks like a bird (at least it does on the Phenom), this is called target or highlight mode. Bering calls them polarities instead of modes. This is the mode I go to when conditions are at their toughest. It is designed to show the slightest temperature changes in a small area. I would try this and see if that helps. As DoubleUP has said daytime conditions for a thermal when rocks and other items get warm are not the environment any thermal really does well.

Which eye piece is he running? I struggled with standard eye piece when swapped over it made a big difference. Not sure what distance he’s pushing for the IRay but might solve the issue.

Zen thanks for the info ... Kindly ... could you post a comparative photo here? The standard eyepiece compared to the optional eyepiece you recommend yourself? Where in Europe could you possibly buy the optional eyepiece? Maybe on amazon?

Last edited:
Back