What the......?

Rustydust

Had a gunsmith thread the barrel on my CZ 527 .17 Hornet the other day. He asked to not have the scope on the gun when I brought it in. OK fine I just loosened the rings where they mount to the receiver and took the scope off. After I got it back I put the scope back on right where it was and tightened the rings back down. Next trip to the range the gun is now shooting WAY to the right and I ran out of adjustment trying to bring it back on center. I have taken scopes off many time and put them back on over the years but I am a bit stumped what might have happened here. Before I started messing with it I thought I may as well as you guys and see if any of you know what happened and what might be an easy fix.

Oh, and first thing I did was to check and make sure the rings were not cocked or anything. All looks fine.

Originally Posted By: crapshootDid they just thread or did they shorten the barrel too?

Yeah- threaded it for my suppressor that hopefully will be here before the year is out. Was not shortened.

Russ, make sure the bottom metal/trigger guard is mated up properly against the underside of the action and not sitting on top of that raised edge. If it isn't put back together so the bottom metal is inside that raised edge on the bottom side of the action and the action screws get torqued down tight it'll put the action in a weird bind and cause it to shoot goofy as he11. Usually the magazine will go in and out very difficulty if that's the case though.

Thanks Bryan. I will do that.

I looked last night and I saw nothing wrong with the mounting but that sure does not mean that I did everything right. It was a simple take off and put back on but...I dont know. No telling with me. I got all day so I will take it off and check everything and reinstall it and head back to the range. I guess I could try to shim it with a cut up coke can if all else fails.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89Was it recrowned with the thread job? Is the gunsmith well known and reputable?

Yeah, the guy builds custom rifles used mainly for 600 and 1000 yard matches. He is a friend of a friend and did my barrels as favor. $200 for both and that's a good price these days. Besides, it groups as good as ever but its's 5 inches right of my aim point.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogYou get it figured out yet?

Not yet, Bill. But I really have not done anything more than take the scope off again an re-mount it. Will take the barreled action out of the stock next and check it. If I have to I will shim the rear ring.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89Do you torque your rings onto the bases?

Unless you're using a picatinny rail, which I don't think Russ has, on a CZ 527 there is no base/s. With the CZ 527's the rings are a dovetail design and clamp directly to the receiver.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89Do you torque your rings onto the bases?

No, not usually. I have a torque screwdriver just made for this but for something as mild kicking as a .17 Hornet just good and snug has always worked. And there are no bases to contend with as the rings clamp right down on the receiver.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootDid you swap the rings front to back, from original placement? Or 180 them that could put a few thousandth offset in play.

The way the rings are made, or at least my Warne rings, the front can only go on the front and the back can only go on the back. There is a divot in the receiver and a corresponding notch on the ring for it to fit in so no swapping is possible. No 180 degree swap either.

Maybe he bent your barrel a little.
tt2.gif
Just joking Russ but most the ideas/suggestions have already been covered. I thought about flipping your rings but that's a No-Go on a CZ. I do have a set of 1" CZ rings if you want to try them.

Long shot, but did you check for a possible metal chip caught in one of the grooves? That could cause an issue.

Regards,
hm

swap a different optic on it?

that'll tell you if its your scope or something else you're chasing.

all else fails, i'd take everything apart and reassemble and see if it makes a difference.

Back