Nosler 6mm Ballistic Tip 55gr.

Kino M

Staff member
Question for you guys running 55NBTs, how have they performed on coyotes and fur damage and how fast are you running them?

Trying to find a lighter option and 58vmax simply doesn't work in my rifles. I'm running these in 6x6.8s

I don’t have exactly the information you are looking for but I’ll share what I can.
I’ve been trying the 55gr Nosler varmageddons from my 6mm creedmoor. I don’t have a large sample size of coyotes(less than 5???). No exits or giant holes so far. I was finally able to adjust the load to something my gun likes more and now Im finally getting 1/2 MOA consistently with something over 3500 FPS. I would have to check my load notes at home but I believe I’m getting around 3900 FPS. I have had them over 4000 FPS but I’ll sacrifice a little speed for a tighter group.
I’ve shot a number of coyotes with my 22-250 and 55gr 22cal Nosler BT with around 3900fps muzzle velocities. Unless they hit an edge I haven’t had issues with big holes so I’m sure the 55 gr 6mm BT should work just as well.

I tried them several years ago, running them right at 4,000fps. Great speeds and accuracy.

I had more runners and floppers with that load than I cared for, so I stopped using them.

In the 22cal., the 55gr B-tip works great, shot out of my 222RemMag or my son's 223wssm. The extra 4-500fps of zip the wssm produces is noticeable on the fur, lol. The 6mm55gr B-Tip just seems to behave differently than the 22CAL.

The Hornaday V-max line performance on game is different between 22cal and 6mm as well. The 60gr Vmax out of the wssm at 3,700fps makes a mess of the fur, while the 75gr Vmax at 3,400fps out of my 243, is very fur friendly. I went almost 3 dozen coyotes with the 243/75grVmax without an exit, ranges from 20yds to over 400.

It is my go-to bullet out of my 6x45 and 6mm-204(3700 fps) and they worked well unless I got close to the edges. I used the 55gr NBT, 55gr NBT Lead Free and 58gr V-max all performed great with little difference that I saw and all put coyotes down right now. I did use some 62gr VG's and they left huge exits.

I found all 6mm bullets to be over kill for coyotes and really only used them for control work and a couple contests where I couldn't keep the fur.

Huge exits and down right now.....my kind of bullet!!!
smile.gif

My Varmint load is 6mm Ballistic tip or varmageddon in 55 gr.
Great bullets accurate as all get out. Not really fur-friendly if you hit a bone but it is a dead coyote no matter what. I run mine at 4200 fps in the 6mm rem.

Thanks for your comments guys, I got SUPER lucky and picked up 300 of the 55NBTs and 700 of the 70NBTs over the weekend!!

I don’t have exactly the information you are looking for but I’ll share what I can.
I’ve been trying the 55gr Nosler varmageddons from my 6mm creedmoor. I don’t have a large sample size of coyotes(less than 5???). No exits or giant holes so far. I was finally able to adjust the load to something my gun likes more and now Im finally getting 1/2 MOA consistently with something over 3500 FPS. I would have to check my load notes at home but I believe I’m getting around 3900 FPS. I have had them over 4000 FPS but I’ll sacrifice a little speed for a tighter group.
I’ve shot a number of coyotes with my 22-250 and 55gr 22cal Nosler BT with around 3900fps muzzle velocities. Unless they hit an edge I haven’t had issues with big holes so I’m sure the 55 gr 6mm BT should work just as well.
I know this is an old thread but I'm considering a 6mm vs 22-250 vs 243 purchase. I think it would be ideal to shoot 55 grain around 4000fps with the option of shooting heavier bullets from the same gun. Flattest from 0-300 is most important, with optional distance coming in 2nd. I was concerned about the accuracy of the 55 grains with 1:8 twist. What twist rate was this getting 1/2 MOA?

Depends. I ran them at 4K from a 243 for a couple seasons and had erratic terminal performance, not with killing, but how the bullet acted when hit. Sometimes they would never exit, other times they'd leave 6" splat holes, other times they'd leave 2-4"" exits. They always died either way, but I found myself going with the 70g NBTs at 3700fps for better overall performance. They always seemed to exit with a nice hole no matter what range/angle. Just my experience anyway.

I’ve shot tons of coyotes with the 70 Nosler ballistic tips. Sometimes they make a giant exit. Sometimes they make a giant entrance and sometimes they poke bullet sized holes in and out. I have a load worked up loads with the 55s but never tried them on fur yet. It sounds like they’re probably the same as the 70s for erratic performance from what posters have stated above. So I’m guessing they’re hit and miss Whether you’re gonna put a big hole in the hide. Also have another 243 that I worked up on load with 60 grain hollow point Sierras. Posts here by members I gather they’re a lot more fur friendly. I haven’t tried them either on fur but will soon.

I shoot it and the varmageddon in the same size in my 6mm rem 26" Mauser action.
I get 4200 fps. It is a very violent bullet, coyote fur will get damaged even out to 1/4 mile.
They make a great varment bullet if you like aerial display.
Do they kill coyotes? Boy howdy. save fur? maybe not so much.

I shoot them iN my custom 243 ruger with a 27 in 13 1/2. Twist barrel they crony at just a little over 4350 fps. Extremely accurate. They are not fur friendly. If I hit bone it will cut them in half.

Sounds like there are random impact variances in a few cases. Why does it seem (at least from my research), the 22-250s have more consistent performance at similar velocities around 50 grain-ish bullets? If that's the case, I assume it's more about the native twist rate and application, versus trying to make something work that's not its intended purpose? I thought if I could shoot 55s consistently from the 6mm, why not, and have the option to shoot heavies at distance. But seems it's not that simple from what some are saying. I want (DRT) the flattest trajectory to minimize holdovers from 0-300, followed by long distance options, in distant 3rd is things like fur saving / follow up shots (recoil).

I'm the OP of this thread, I made it because i had moved entirely to 6mm stuff. I wanted DRT to 300 for night hunting, fur friendly wasnt a first priority. I carried a 22-250 for years, lots of experience with it and different bullets. Bottom line, the 243 kills way way way better. You can mix match bullets anyway you want but the results are the same.

Since the original posting back in September of 21, I've killed or seen killed well over 600 coyotes. Most all of them was with a 6mm bullet fired from a 243 or 6x6.8. I've used one of 3 bullets, a 58 Vmax, 70 NBT or 55 NBT.

From my experience and sample size I've came to this conclusion,

58Vmax- they are accurate but sometimes they splash and require a finishing shot, 85% of the time they are DRT.
55NBT- very accurate, built heavier than the Vmax, much more fur friendly, still kills very well. This bullet IMO is the best choice fir DRTs but still somewhat fur friendly at times.
70NBT- kills the best, no question. Almost always exits and usually rough on fur. IMO the best for DRTs.

I guess the reality of these three bullets is they all kill well but you never know how bad the damage is going to be as it can vary a lot. Pick any of the 3 with a 243 and you will have an awesome killing cartridge.

Thanks Kino. That kinda confirmed what I had suspected on the lighter 6mm bullets. I figured 243 was a better fit for that vs 6 creed. I appreciate your breakdown of the 3 rounds. Stuff like that helps me a lot from people with experience. What fps are you getting out of the 55 NBT and what twist and barrel length?

Yep I’m with Kino. Every time I walk up to a downed animal I’m wondering if it has a hole in it that I can clap my hands in or a small pencil sized hole in and out. It’s normally about 50-50 it seems with the 70 grainers. I shot my first bobcat a couple decades ago at about 15 feet or less and was shocked. It poked a bullet size hole in and out thank God. I shot a double on coyotes earlier that day at 20 yards called in. Might’ve been a hair closer. First one pencil hole in and out behind the front shoulder broadside. The second one at the same distance that walked up to the downed dog I could’ve stuck my arm through the hole.Lol

Last edited:
Ive used .243 NBT 55 gr bullets for years and years. Now Im forced to use the lead free version and they‘re still my favorite Coyote bullet.

I use the same bullet in my 6DTI as well.

Thanks Kino. That kinda confirmed what I had suspected on the lighter 6mm bullets. I figured 243 was a better fit for that vs 6 creed. I appreciate your breakdown of the 3 rounds. Stuff like that helps me a lot from people with experience. What fps are you getting out of the 55 NBT and what twist and barrel length?

In my 243s I'm running 22" 10tw. I'm running mine "slow" right at 3700. 43.8gr of Varget and they shoot outstanding. Can it be pushed harder, absolutely but it shoots outstanding and kills outstanding at that speed/load so I'm going to run it until the barrel is toast. The 6x6.8s I have are running 70s @ 3221.

Here's a reel from my Instagram from my solo trip out west, a little less than 8 nights with the 6x6.8 and 70NBTs.....

lol… did you leave any coyotes for me?

What’s the point of running them slow when you could run a 70 at the same speed? More fur friendly, easier on your barrel and to get you hands on, or just shoots a little flatter at the same velocity to 300 yards?

I'm running everything through ARs so I'm a little on the conservative side, plus there's really no need to run them hard because they kill outstanding, more barrel life, more brass life, super accurate and still only drop 3.5" from my .6" ZERO at 100.

It will be a sad day when this barrel is shot out!

Back