7 Mag

pyscodog

Picked up a Browning 1885 single shot in 7mmMag today. Whats a good bullet and powder? Paper and maybe a whitetail will be its main usage. I don't really need a real heavy bullet. I think 168 grain is as heavy as I have but have Berger and Accubonds, Speer and Sierra and probably Hornady in several grain weights as well. I have a 7mm08 but haven't had a Mag in several years.

Although they say IMR 4064 isn't the ideal powder for the 7 mag, I managed to get honest 1/2" 3 shot groups out of my $250 T/C Compass using 139 grain hornadys.

I think I'm going to try 168 grain AccuBonds first. A little heavier than I originally planned on but the are good bullets. Probably 4831 powder with a CCI LRP. That Browning sure has a long throat, bullet looks really long....I guess cause it is.

Had to go to a shop for dies and brass and they had nothing, went to another shop and found dies and 30 pieces of used brass,then my smith gave me 40 pieces of once fired brass, then to another shop for shell holders. I wanted a modified case but couldn't find one so it may be back to the shop I found the dies in. I thought I had one but guess not, couldn't find it. Buy the time I got back home I felt like I had been on a scavenger hunt.

Last edited:
I ended up loading 150 grain ELD-X for the first time out. I have 168 AB's and Berger Classic Hunters as well.

P.S. Just read where Walt Berger passed away on the 19th. RIP Walt!

Last edited:
Chronied my 150 grain load yesterday. Five shots averaged 3086 FPS. I guess thats not to bad for a 150 grain bullet. Should be plenty for WT Deer.

I learned from snipershide that for a 7 mag, the magic combo is 168 Berger & Retumbo. Fed gold
Match primers.

This combo also worked for a Browning Bolt. Almost no vertical @ 500 yards.
Good luck!

Back