Old tricks from an Old Dog

pyscodog

A couple of months ago, I did an orientation to a new member. He's a young buck and his granddad gave him his membership as he never used it any more. The young guy, maybe early 30's,and is a corrections officer at one of the small prisons close to Tulsa.
I noticed most of his gear was on our 100-300 yard benchs but he was over on the short range. Didn't really give it much thought as he wasn't doing anything wrong. As I was setting up my bench to shoot he came walking over to me and ask if I mind giving him some help. He said he had changed scopes on his AR 10 and had shot no less than 30 rounds and still isn't on paper. Bear in mind, he's shooting 25 yards and no a bullet has hit the target.

I ask if he minded me taking his rifle apart and he was good with that, so I popped the rear hinge pin and pulled the bolt. When I looked down the barrel, I could see his cross hairs were really high. While I looked through his scope, I had him bring it down three different times and from the look on his face I know he thought I was nuts. I put his rifle back together and told him to try it. Half inch low and dead center. He said he had never heard of such a thing. I told him to keep coming out, there were lots of thing to learn out here. He seems like a great kid and followed me all the way to my truck thanking me. Learning simple tricks like this sure saves ammo. I'm glad I could give him some help.

While I will never claim to be a guru about anything, as an old fart its nice to think that I helped a new shooter learn something he can use a long time. Isn't that what us old guys are suppose to do?

Last edited:
Shucks, Bill. You made his day and mine too. Good going and I'm sure you made a new friend too. None of us have too many of those.
thumbup1.gif

Good for you on helping him out. We all need to be more willing to share our experience with the younger generation of shooters and hunters.

We have way to many "Karens" in the world today. It only took a few minutes of my time and being retired, I seem to have plenty of time. He was extremely frustrated and didn't know what was going on or what to do. I'm glad I could help him. Like Slick said, its up to us older guys to help the young bloods or our sport will die off. Someone helped me and you folks still do at times. The least I can do is pass on what I know to someone else. Its doesn't cost anything to be helpful.

I've found that if you do everything, a newbie "forgets" pretty quickly.

Explain what needs to be done and have them do it while you watch and provide support.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullGood for you on helping him out. We all need to be more willing to share our experience with the younger generation of shooters and hunters.
EXACTLY!

As older more experienced shooters/hunters, I feel its our job to pass on what we have learned. If we don't lend a helping hand we're going to end up with a bunch of phone zombies and Lord knows we have enough of those already. I thought my son was going to be a hunter. He showed a lot of interest until he got a drivers license then the desire seemed to slip away. He's 37 now and hasn't hunted in over 15 years. I feel like I failed somewhere and it saddens me. Now if I can help a young shooter/hunter I feel its the very least I can do.

My son is the same way. He was raised hunting and fishing every weekend. He's 38 now and hasn't hunted with me in 10 years. I thought I would have a hunting partner until the end of my days. Makes me sad, but short of begging him to go, it just seems he lost interest somewhere.

We've all been new to a sport/hobby at some point in our lives. It's helpful to any newer person to a hobby to have an experienced person help them out if they need it.

I'd challenge anyone who's been doing this their whole life to help a newer person if you come across someone who needs the help.

That was very nice of You to help the Guy out...glad to see You pass on Your knowledge to another Hunter/Marksman.

I had my Caldwell lead sled at a Shooting Range a few years ago...let several Guys use it while I was there to help them out.

We all started out at 1 point when learning how to shoot and hunt...im glad there was Older more Experienced Hunters to give Me advice...heck theres New Guys that have showed this Old Dog some new tricks too!

Back