Iray vs Super Yoter specs

Darknight

Not sure if anyone here has compared specs on the Super Yoter vs the iRay RICO 640 and RICO 384 thermal sights?

If so, I'd be curious on specs like horizontal fov (in feet) at 100 yards, base magnification, lowest operating temperature for cold weather coyote calling, if it uses a proprietary battery and what the run time is for each unit.

Kirsch may have already done this so please point me in the right direction if he has.

Thanks!

Super_Rico_Comp2.jpg

From a specifications standpoint, the Super Hogster is pretty much identical to the Rico 384. The Super Yoter is virtually identical to the Rico 640. That is from the specifications standpoint but I’m not talking about features, build, where it’s made, etc.

Analyzing the characteristics in comparison between Super Yoter and Rico RH50 (640) we can say that they have: same core; same FOV; same lens; same eyepiece; same display; same minimum optical magnification; same digital magnification; same brightness and contrast adjustments; same focusing system; same external form ... They look practically identical ... but, as Korey rightly teaches, they are not exactly. What changes is the management of the software that processes the thermal radiation captured by the sensor. Comparing the images and videos of the SY with the observations I made with Infiray ... I observe that Bering Optics has privileged the IDE (immediate detection) and the PID (positive identification .... "as you can see I'm learning from you guys Americans to use acronyms "...) compared to Infiray which favored the best and most detailed view of the background and context in general where the animals move.
IMO Bering Optics made a better choice. In the end, we hunters are more interested in the details of the targets to shoot at rather than the beautiful landscape in which they are immersed .... After all, we are more hunters and less forestry or agricultural or territory technicians

Last edited:
John300,

If you talk to Pulsar who pushes NETD values, they will say it means a lot. It is one of another of the elements that can be a factor. It is supposed to help in tough thermal conditions, but Bering is one of the best in these conditions and their models are

Thanks as always for the chart, Kirsch. I appreciate it. Part of me leans towards the iRay for the battery life but part of me wants to get away from the proprietary battery. I like that the iRay would not need the external battery like the Super Yoter would (I'm talking in the context of child weather battery life).

The Chinese part of the iRay and the newness of the company in the USA makes me a little nervous but then again aren't ALL thermals made of components from China?

As far as the Super Yoter it's got a great image, I'm not sure if it's "made" in the USA and I'd be dealing with an external battery pack.

Difficult to decide.

Just thinking through this with others that may be in the same situation. Any opinions or first hand experiences with these sights is welcome.

I answered pretty much the identical question on ARFcom recently so cutting and pasting. I know very little about the iRay manufactured thermals. To answer or reply to your comment Bering does get parts from all over the world including the iRay sensor and builds their thermals in the US. They also service and warranty them here. This is important to me during warranty and definitely after.

Pros for the Rico:
* 5 year warranty
* Integrated Battery Pack
* Pic rail on the side
* Ability to add LRF for more money

Pros for Super Yoter:
* $1,400 Less Expensive
* Assembled, Supported, and Serviced in US
* LaRue mount
* Additional features including adjustable stadiametric rangefinder and range marks
* History of quality in US

The integrated battery packs can be a nice option for the Rico although only rated for 6-hours. They are expensive if they need to be replaced and with an external battery option like the TRB from Night Goggles, you can mount almost anywhere and have a much cheaper, backup or replacement option (about $20 for a spare battery). Yes, there is one cord with a battery pack.

The pic rail is a nice feature of the Rico, but you can get a 90° rail adapter and a riser for under $20 (I recently posted a thread about this) to accomplish the same thing. To me, the $1,400 less expensive option to buy from a US company in Bering is and was my selection. If you absolutely need an LRF ($800 addition), I would go with the Rico at a $2,200 higher price point than the Super Yoter. However, the new range marks feature will help remove some of the need for coyote hunters.

The Rico and other iRay products may be awesome. I just haven’t used them and know how absolutely rock-solid the Bering thermals have been for me and Night Goggles’s customers. If they were similarly priced to me the question would be tougher but at a $1,400 price difference, the Rico would have to be considerably better. This is the price difference of the Super Hogster and the Super Yoter.

Good information and thanks for that. What is the supply looking like for the Super yoter? Anyone know if they'll be readily available this fall?

I am anticipating the hunters on PM who got in on the first two Night Goggles's Super Yoter orders should be seeing scopes hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks. Night Goggles has another large order in with Bering that we are anticipating will be filled at the end of October/early November. I would give Carina a call at 909-312-5424 X331. She can get you the best price possible and also give you a better idea on when to expect a thermal. On any thermal right now, I would not recommend waiting until something is in-stock. You may be waiting a long time.

As news of this thermal gets out and people begin using them and sharing videos and showing buddies, I am anticipating this thermal getting harder and harder to get. There is simply nothing with this kind of image close in price. Shortages of components impact thermal manufacturers just like other industries, so my recommendation is to get one sooner vs later. The longer you wait, the longer I believe you will have to wait, but I am only guessing at this point.

Today I drove 330 miles (165 x 2) to finally try the Infiray Rico RH50 (640) which is equivalent to the Bering Optics Super Yoter. I specifically compared it to the Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50. Looking at a church high up in the mountains with the Thermion 2 XP50, at 12X he couldn't distinguish the door and the 2 windows. I saw a single white facade illuminated by the sun. On the other hand, with the Rico RH50, at 12X, I was able to detect the door and windows. I think at that great distance the sensor with a pixel pitch of 12 microns makes the difference. Really remarkable! The Super Yoter has to be really great even for long distance shooting. I think I'll sell my Thermion 2 XP50 (I've had a couple of requests already ...) and buy the SY (I meant the Rico RH50 ....).
In addition, the Rico RH50 already has the base, with 2 quick release levers, to easily mount it on the Picatinny rail. This saves the cost of 2 30mm rings that are required to install the Thermion 2 XP50 on the rifle ...

Last edited:
Do both of these units still operate if the primary battery dies? Let's say I have the RICO and the primary battery dies, will it still work if I leave the dead battery in but run off an external anker power source? Where I'm going with this is if years later iRay doesn't make that battery or iRay isn't in business any longer (I hope not) and the battery is dead, will I still be able to use this thermal device with the external battery pack.

The same question would apply for the Super Yoter.

I like my Thermion battery sticks as I carry one in my pocket while the other is in the scope but am interested in these 2 scopes due to the base magnification they have and how clear the images are that a lot of people are excited about.

I'm not sure if Pulsar has something comparable to the Super Yoter and Rico 640 units with a 3x or 4x base magnification. I'll have to revisit their line-up.

Thanks again for the discussion guys.

I forgot about the xg50, thanks for that. I didn't see a horizontal FOV listed at that link. Do you happen to know what it is Ernest?

I'm also curious how the range marks work on the Super Yoter. How simple is the process of bringing up those range marks or the stadiametric range finder with an incoming coyote? Are range marks and the stadiametric range finder two separate things?

Originally Posted By: DarknightI forgot about the xg50, thanks for that. I didn't see a horizontal FOV listed at that link. Do you happen to know what it is Ernest? Ernest is correct the XG50 is the 640, 12µm Thermion unit. If you already have a Thermion and like the controls and batteries and want more magnification, it seems like a logical choice. It has the BAE sensor in it vs ULIS. Per the link Ernest included, if you click on Full Specs, it lists it as 8.8x6.6. This is very similar to the other 2 units you are considering.

Originally Posted By: DarknightI'm also curious how the range marks work on the Super Yoter. How simple is the process of bringing up those range marks or the stadiametric range finder with an incoming coyote? Are range marks and the stadiametric range finder two separate things? The Stadiametric Range Finder and Range Marks are two separate things but they have some commonality. First, there is a Settings window shown below. Here you have the ability to set any of 4 heights. They show 4 animal types but you can set a deer to a prairie dog if you want. In this example, I used .6 m which is almost 24". I believe this to be a little tall for ground to shoulder on most coyotes. It seems like most adult coyotes are probably around 20", so I would probably use .5 m. The size you set adjusts the heights for both the Stadiametric Range Finder and the Range Marks feature for these 4 values. This is also where you set the range for the Range Marks Feature. Whatever setting is selected when you leave this configuration window is the height and range that will be used for Range Marks.

Range1.jpg

Once this is set, this new height for a coyote will impact both the Range Marks feature and the Stadiametric Rangefinder.

You can bring up the Stadiametric rangefinder by pressing the last two buttons together. It can be adjusted in this window. The reason why I recommended Bering to add Range Marks, is the rest of the features of the scope can't be adjusted when in the Stadiametric Rangefinder. You can shoot, but you can't zoom your scope, hit record etc because the buttons are used to adjust the rangefinder.

If you press the last two buttons again, it brings up the Range Marks Feature shown below.

Range2.jpg

Bering has made these lines about 75% smaller as they take up too much space in my opinion when this wide. They have also made the icon on the left, small and placed it on the bottom. At least, this is what I have been told and was sent the image below.

New_Range.jpg

The beauty of this is your scope can function as normal. If you digitally zoom, the area between the lines changes dynamically, so it requires no additional adjustment. For right now, I have to activate it each time I start a stand. I have asked Bering to save if the Range Marks are activated, so it could appear every time you turn the scope on. I do not know if it made the final release, but I believe so.

The lines are the same color as the reticle color you choose. The thought process behind this is to use it for either Point Blank Range (PBR) or for a target distance. If you set it to your PRB, you will know just by aiming at a coyote if it is within your PBR. If you are using it for Target Distance, same idea, if you want to shoot a coyote at 100 or 150, etc, just set it and when the coyote is about the size of the range marks, stop them, and shoot.

I have recently found out that Sightmark has incorporated a similar feature in the Wraith 4K Max. However, when it is activated, it doesn't allow the user to zoom and some other scope functions are inactivated. I like the ability that range marks are just there providing range-finding abilities without impacting any other features of the scope.

I think I'm understanding the range marks. If I start a stand I can have those marks already on the screen. If the coyote just fits in there he's at 100 yards if that's how I set up the size.

I'm used to the 4x base mag of my Thermion XM38 so I'd lose a little base mag but am ok with that.

Anyone know if the image of the Thermion XG50 is comparable to the Super Yoter and Rico? Probably splitting hairs on the image between them?

Darknight..... I did the precise math calculation. We are talking about the Pulsar Thermion XG50 (but the values are exactly the same also for the Super Yoter, only the vertical angular FOV = 7.03 ° of the Rico 640 which has the 640x512 sensor changes slightly ...). The angular FOV is 8.78°x6.59° ..... instead the horizontal linear FOV at the distance of 1000 yards is 153.6 yards. I write you the values of the horizontal linear FOV (HLFOV) from 50 to 500 yards:

yard distance HLFOV (yard)
50 7.7
100 15.4
200 30.7
300 46.1
400 61.4
500 76.8
1000 153.6

(sorry if i can't write values in a table .... but i'm absolutely not as good as Kirsch ...)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DarknightDo both of these units still operate if the primary battery dies? Let's say I have the RICO and the primary battery dies, will it still work if I leave the dead battery in but run off an external anker power source? Where I'm going with this is if years later iRay doesn't make that battery or iRay isn't in business any longer (I hope not) and the battery is dead, will I still be able to use this thermal device with the external battery pack.

The same question would apply for the Super Yoter. Thanks again for the discussion guys. I can't speak for the Rico, but for the Super Yoter, yes if you have internal batteries in the unit, and have an external battery pack, it will run off external and then switch over to the internal if the external is depleted. If the internal batteries are dead, you can also be using the external only.

Originally Posted By: DarknightI'm used to the 4x base mag of my Thermion XM38 so I'd lose a little base mag but am ok with that. 3X and 640 resolution will give you a bigger FOV. You can digitally zoom your scope if you need to as you have a lot more pixels to start with.

Originally Posted By: DarknightAnyone know if the image of the Thermion XG50 is comparable to the Super Yoter and Rico? Probably splitting hairs on the image between them? I have heard both positive and negative comments on the XG image. There is lots of footage on Youtube. I think most people were expecting Nvision and Trijicon quality since they share the same sensor. Most comments I have heard is the image is good, but not at that level. I think all 3 are going to have a good to very good image. I really depends on what brand you want to buy, features, price, and warranty and anything else you want to consider.

Back