Does the 17 Fire ball still have a following?

MIvarmit

I have a Remington 17 Fire Ball (left hand) safe queen, thought I would get back out west for varmints but that has not happened. I was looking thru the safe today and came across it, just wondering if it has a following?

Thanks,
Harold

If anyone had one I would say they are following it. I've got some oddball stuff that has only a few out in the wild. When I'm pulling that trigger I'm a happy camper no matter what it is. I'd buy a 17 FB if I ran into a super deal though I already have a 17 Remington and 17-223.

Greg

Funny thing that back in 2007-2008 those things were flying off the shelves. Ammo was hard to find and even .221 FB brass was hard to find as people were buying that to make ammo with. I kinda wanted one but I had been a .17 Remington owner for a lot of year and just let it go by.

Then two years later or so....poof! They were selling like used beer. A real pity in my book as they were a better all around .17 that the older brother is.

If I had one and a lot of brass for it I would be tickled as could be.

I just built one myself this past summer. Tried and tried to find a howa mini action but no luck so I used a tikka action and a shilen 9 twist #3. What a fun little cartrige. Using H322 with a 25gr Berger and Nosler brass. I also have an original Rem 700 Varmint but its too heavy for my liking. Im still looking for a Howa mini with a 223 bolt face in case anyone knows of one for sale.

I have one, a Lilja re-barreled Ruger #1. Had the barrel installed, forearm work, and the trigger work done by Mark Penrod. Its a shooter. I use Hendershots "Extreme" loads with 25gr Berger Varmint bullets @3700 fps. Yea, I could go faster but I want to save my barrel. Its my 150 yd. and in Yote gun.

A hunting buddy has a left hand REM 17FBand he seems to like it.
Seems like a neat little cartridge Sounds strange but
As I recall that thing has a triagular barrel?

I love shooting my Remington 17FB Predator. Am pleasantly surprised how well I shoot it. Bought plenty of brass when it was still available so should be good for awhile. Great little round and between that and my 22 hornet I would be happy to only have those two. Dave

Nothing wrong with the 17FB IMO. Had one was just fine like many cartridges, components became difficult to be had. Have went back to basic 223 22/250 243 ect. Still not easy sometimes.

I wonder if its anything like the much older 17M4?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Wyoming DrifterI just built one myself this past summer. Tried and tried to find a howa mini action but no luck so I used a tikka action and a shilen 9 twist #3. What a fun little cartrige. Using H322 with a 25gr Berger and Nosler brass. I also have an original Rem 700 Varmint but its too heavy for my liking. Im still looking for a Howa mini with a 223 bolt face in case anyone knows of one for sale.

Actually yes I do and they would be happy to send to your FFL
I'll PM you their contact info

Back