CZ 527 Suppressed

LLCattleTex

Tried the search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. If there is a thread, please point me in the right direction.

Anyway, I have a CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar in .223 with the 24" barrel. I have considered cutting the barrel down to 20" and threading for the suppressor. Has anyone cut a 527 varmint down to 20" with or without a can? If so, how does it shoot? Likes/dislikes?

Last edited:
Had one of my CZ 527 Varmint model 17 Hornets chopped back to around, without going to measure it I think 21, when it was in getting threaded. I actually wanted it a little shorter but the smith that did the work said without removing the barrel around 21 was as short as he could go. The little 17 Hornet isn't very loud to start with but screw a suppressor on the end and they get laughably quiet. My 223AI isn't a CZ but it has a 22in tube and I shoot it suppressed also. It's not nearly as quiet as the little 17HH but it's easily hearing safe quiet with no ear protection.

I shoot just about everything suppressed never had an issue with accuracy in any of them and if anything I think I shoot better with suppressors.

I just got my CZ rifles in .17 Hornet and .221 FB threaded for my latest suppressor. Be nice to be able to cheek up to wood again and not have mess with those dang muffs. I get so tired of wearing them. Especially when the shootings good and they've been on my head for hours.

RD, be prepared to giggle like a little girl when you shoot your 17HH suppressed. They're already a fun little bugger to shoot anyway but slap a can on them and it just increases the giggle factory.
smile.gif

A couple of days ago I put my old can on it for the first time. I no longer use this one as it got damaged years ago. But I wanted to see what it was like and yeah you betcha that was nice. I can hardly wait of my new can to get here so I can use like I used to use my first one.

My first can was like a 5 month wait but now I hear that it is like 7 months or more. No biggie as long as I have it by the time the squirrels start popping out of their holes next spring!
thumbup1.gif

I'm waiting on a new rimfire can right now that is 17HH rated. My other two rimfire cans are only rated for use up to 17 WSM but the new one I'm waiting to be approved on is good for FN 5.7x28 and 17HH. I've been using my TBAC 223 can on my CZ 17HH's up till now so a smaller lighter can will be nice.

I may have to take it to my gunsmith. I've never owned a hornet but have shot 204, 223, etc with the can and it sure makes it nice.

RD, are you running the 17HHs at the 24" length or are they shortened up a bit? My can is 8-9" so it makes thinks a bit awkward on a full length barrel.

Last edited:
I can't answer for Russ but one of my 17HH is factory length and the other has been shortened up. From a bench/shooting table I can't say that I notice any real difference but everything else and I prefer the shortened up one better.

Most of the stuff I have built or buy now has shorter barrels since I shoot most everything with a can on it. I recently bought a little Tikka with a 20in barrel in 204 that I'm looking forward to getting threaded.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B23I can't answer for Russ but one of my 17HH is factory length and the other has been shortened up. From a bench/shooting table I can't say that I notice any real difference but everything else and I prefer the shortened up one better.

Most of the stuff I have built or buy now has shorter barrels since I shoot most everything with a can on it. I recently bought a little Tikka with a 20in barrel in 204 that I'm looking forward to getting threaded.

Sounds like a pretty sweet rig. If I decide to chop it I'll go to 20".

Originally Posted By: B23
Most of the stuff I have built or buy now has shorter barrels since I shoot most everything with a can on it.

Yeah, long tubes are not necessary for my kind of varminting but since 100% of my field shooting is off a bench then barrel length is not an issue. And if I can get an extra 100 fps or so from 4 inches more barrel then OK by me. If I was shooting out the window of my truck or something then that would be a different story I'm sure.

I bought a CZ factory 527 threaded in 300 Blackout.
With subsonic, I can hear the firing pin.
I also shoot some 147 grain with my Specwar 7,62.
It shot so well I had to go visit Boyd's gun stocks.
The Leupold 1X4 just doesn't overpower the rifle.

2IOGimj.jpg

I have a 527 American, it came with a 21 1/2" (12 twist) barrel and I cut it to 18" and put a Specwar 556 K on it for my daughter. It always shot very well, both before and after being cut. We finally shot the barrel out of it last year and I did the barrel swap on it myself. Got a brand new factory takeoff (9 twist), trued the action up in the lathe, headspaced the new barrel, and cut it to 21" and threaded it myself. Very accurate barrel, shoots even better than the original.

w1AusGm.jpg

BXl2cEB.jpg

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXI have a 527 American, it came with a 21 1/2" (12 twist) barrel and I cut it to 18" and put a Specwar 556 K on it for my daughter. It always shot very well, both before and after being cut. We finally shot the barrel out of it last year and I did the barrel swap on it myself. Got a brand new factory takeoff (9 twist), trued the action up in the lathe, headspaced the new barrel, and cut it to 21" and threaded it myself. Very accurate barrel, shoots even better than the original.

w1AusGm.jpg

BXl2cEB.jpg

Did you get the factory take off from James Calhoon? Looks like a shooter for sure!

Last edited:
Yes I did get the takeoff from James Calhoun. It sat around on the shelf for 2-3 years before I got around to putting it on. And it is a shooter for sure. One of the best shooting lightweight factory barrels I have ever had. It will scream those Blitzkings. .548 at 200 is dang close to 1/4 MOA. It has shot quite a few 100 yard groups with them in the .3's.

I did coat it with Dyna Bore Coat while it was new and clean, before I started shooting it.

Back