204 vs 22 250 vs 243

KjBeachy

I'm looking to build/buy a coyote hunting setup, will be running a thermal on it.

I like fast, light bullets because you don't get much bullet drop with them. So out of these there which would yall recommend? I would shoot the lightest bullets I could out of the 243.

My biggest grip with running a 243 or 22250 would be that you've gotta use it on an AR 10 lower.

204 if for no other reason to stay on the 15 platform

204 is plenty fast and flat, I’d get a 10 twist barrel and shoot 35 Berger’s

You can build a lighter weight 10 platform, and I’d have to especially if using thermals

Only con I can think of with 204 is losing the punch power of the 243 which = being more picky with shots

Not knowing your preference on barrel length and what you can find, midway has a 204 shilen barrel in stock. Its not cheap but comes with a head spaced bolt. All the reviews are good and mine is very accurate.

For shots under 200 yards(thermal) the 223 is fine also, especially if you if you don't reload. If you reload you probably should add the 20 practical to the list as it feeds very reliably from standard AR 15 mags.

I dont reload. My longest shot would b 400 probably. I've never liked 223, which is why I'm def leaning 204. Barrel length, 20 would be preferable. Are there decent budget 204 uppers out there? I'm not super concerned with shooting tight groups

If you plan on shooting out to 400 yards accuracy should be a concern. Many here have assembled AR15 uppers using quality components during various sales. No reason to skimp. Wishing you luck. Nothing will put a smile on your face like a nice accurate varmint rig in AR-15

22 Nosler if you just hafta stay on the ar 15 platform. We switched to ar10s in 243 and I'm not sure I can go back. 60s or 70s are what we shoot. The bigger 6 mm bore will help keep velocity up in the shorter barrels as well. I currently shoot a 24" heavy but my std. weight was very effective too.

Last edited:
Personally I think too many hunters have just written off the 223 for coyotes. I shot a 204 for several years as well as a 17 Rem. and both worked well enough but I was mostly shooting over a bait pile where shots were easier to select. Then I spent some time (mostly calling) with the 6x45 shooting 55 gr. ballistic tips and it did quite well in fact so well that I named it the Parvo. I spent a couple years shooting this combination unsuppressed and finally suppressed.

Somewhere in there, it seemed the coyotes were not coming in as close and so I switched to a Ruger Predator in 243 shooting 58 V-max. I made shots out close to 400 yds., but the 22" barrel with a 9" suppressor added made the rig a bit ungainly especially getting in and out of the truck. I killed 85 coyotes with that combination in 2020.

Last fall, I decided to switch to my 16" barreled AR in 223 shooting a 50 gr. V-Max partially because the rig felt so much handier with the 9" suppressor and more compact. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it did. I killed 46 coyotes with it during the winter/spring this year. Most were one shot kills. Now I didn't take any 300-400 yard shots. In fact about 250 yds. was my longest shot, but I found that since I knew I didn't have the punch and reach of the 243, I was more patient and able to call the coyotes in much closer without getting impatient and firing away.

Finally, while I've done it myself, a 400 yd. shot with thermal is a long punch under the best of conditions while calling.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I'm curious to see how our kill rate goes up with non or at least minimal poi shifting thermal optics.

It will go up if you switch to Bering!!!!

A while back I watched a YouTube compilation of a guy shooting 15 or so coyotes. Ranges seemed moderate (less than 200 yards), yet most kills required 2-3 slugs. At the end he mentioned he was using a .204, which was an "Aha!" moment.

If you're planning on shooting out to 400, a 22-250 or .243 would be my recommendation.

I'm going to start my season in October with a 204 but if it doesn't seem to be enough my 22 Nosler will be together by then. Brandon and Stacy up north hammer them with a 204. Time will tell.

The biggest problem for me is ID'ing the target. If I can ID a target with my thermal, hogster-35, it is in range of my 222. I put a NV scope on my 22-250 and can ID farther out and make the shot. I don't need to worry about holdover unless they are over 325 yds or more away, even then I probably would not take the shot.

Back